Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Survives 9 Days In Arizona Wilderness

Still Waters

A woman survived for nine days on pond water and plants after getting lost in a forest, officials have said.

Ann Rodgers, 72, had been travelling with her dog from Tucson, Arizona, to Phoenix on 31 March.

She had been planning to visit her grandchildren but she got lost in the White Mountains and her hybrid vehicle ran out of petrol and electricity.

After a few days, she had run out of the emergency food and water she kept in her car so resorted to desperate measures.

http://news.sky.com/...zona-wilderness

• Like 5

Pretty good for 72.

Something is not right about this story

• Like 1

That is one amazing lady I must say . I have a feeling since she 72 possibly was raised maybe in the mountains or farm as a child.

I think its wonderful she had emergency food in her car . Most people buy food, soda and water along the way ..

I'm absolutely amazed. I didn't know they had forests in Arizona.

• Like 1

I was amazed that anyone saw the little tiny HELP made of sticks. It was smaller then a person laying on the ground.

I am very glad though that they did find her.

• Like 1

This is nothing special, I think the story is kinda fishy if you ask me.

-The help sign was smaller then the average person (just look at the footsteps around it)

-Where is the shelter she has build, its kinda hard to make one to keep you out of the cold

-She drink water from a pound (wow ..big deal)

-Why she abandon the car?

-She could have hiking back from where she came..probably the highway/road that she came from is not that far (9 days you can hike more then 300KM)

I am a mountaineer/hiker and I often take marathon roots that last 3-6 days, but my roots are in a harsh conditions and very steep mountains and I can still cover 100Km in 2 days.

• Like 1

-She could have hiking back from where she came..probably the highway/road that she came from is not that far

(9 days you can hike more then 300KM)

I am a mountaineer/hiker and I often take marathon roots that last 3-6 days, but my roots are in a harsh conditions

and very steep mountains and I can still cover 100Km in 2 days.

But you are Mr. RoadRunner and not a 72yo grandma.

• Like 1

why be critical of her? I'm just glad she's ok. ... but ya, she probably should have stayed with the car? that's what the experts say?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Something is not right about this story

I agree. How could someone could turn an easy two hour drive on a multi-lane highway from Tucson to Phoenix into a nine day survival ordeal is indeed truly amazing.

God bless grandma and her dog! So glad they were found. :)

• Like 2

Why do you say this?

Well I don't really know, but if this story was true, then god bless her.

But in the back of my mind, I think that there is something fishy about it.

She is pretty old, (73), why did she go alone, it is about 2 hour drive. Ok yes the destination was basically a straight line, but come on she is 73.

Why hasn't she have a phone, loads of old people have phones, and also why did the car ran out of fuel/electricity. Did she forget to fuel up? Did she forget how to get to the destination? If so why wasn't anyone with her?

Also why did she leave the car, someone spotted her car 3 days later on the road (I believe).

And why did she have enough food/water to last them for 6 days. I mean its an 2 hour drive (glad she did though)

And she would of looked rougher after drinking pond water, and eating plants of 3 days

If she was younger, I would've said she planned all of this up (the emergency food/water, going into a forest, away from the car etc)

the 6 days emergency food&water in the car were a good idea... probably saved her life. She must have taken a side trip ... the White mountains are not on U.S. 10

(i googled them) and there really is forest there .

... but ya, she probably should have stayed with the car? that's what the experts say?

As an expert I say: watch your fuel gauge on a daily basis.

:yes:

• Like 1

I agree. How could someone could turn an easy two hour drive on a multi-lane highway from Tucson to Phoenix into a nine day survival ordeal is indeed truly amazing.

And besides, his grammar and spelling (e.g. 'root' for 'route') are appalling.

She is pretty old, (73), why did she go alone, it is about 2 hour drive. Ok yes the destination was basically a straight line, but come on she is 73.

I have to laugh at this. I'm guessing MissJatti is quite young and 73 seems ancient to her. There are plenty of very active, very with-it people in their 70s, 80s and even beyond. My mom's 75 and the idea of her needing a minder to drive a few hours is silly.

This wasn't meant to insult your idea! It just struck me as funny.

The woman was lucky. She should have stayed with the car, though maybe on her quest for water she wandered a bit too far and got disoriented?

• Like 1