Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chronological order of the bible

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#61    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,599 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

- Modern Human Skeleton from Tanzania, over 800,000 years old
In 1913 Professor Hans Reck, of Berlin University, conducted investigations at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania, then German East Africa.

During his stay at Olduvai Gorge, Reck found a modern human skeleton that remains a source of mystery and controversy to this day.

Posted Image

This modern skull is from a fully human skeleton found that year. The human skeletal remains, including this complete skull, were cemented in the rock and had to be chipped with hammers and chisels. It was found in the upper end of a rock bed dated at more than 1,000,000 years old.

How did this modern human find his way 1,000,000 years into the past?

He didn't. Although we can now see that his remains have been used to perpetuate a fabrication, to whit:

Oldoway Man: a complete skeleton found by Hans Reck at Olduvai Gorge in 1913. In 1932 it was shown to be a modern Homo sapiens, buried 20,000 years ago in older deposits that had been exposed by faulting (Johanson and Shreeve 1989). Taylor (1992) writes "Some have suggested this skeleton is an intrusive burial", when in fact this explanation has been unanimously accepted (even by Reck and the notoriously stubborn Louis Leakey). Bowden (1981) disputes this, as Reck had originally claimed the skeleton could not be an intrusive burial because of the undisturbed layers above it. It was later shown, however, that the layer above the skeleton had been misidentified by Reck, and instead of being very old, had been laid down recently, after the skeleton had been buried (Morell 1995). The completeness of the skeleton and its contracted position were also consistent with a burial rather than a natural fossilization.

http://www.talkorigi...tml#castenedolo

- Modern Human Skull found in Italy, over 3 - 4 million years old
Late in the summer of 1860, Professor Giuseppe Ragazzoni, a geologist and teacher at the Technical Institute of Brescia, traveled to the nearby locale of Castenedolo, about 10 kilometers southeast of Brescia, to gather fossil shells in the Pliocene strata exposed in a pit at the base of a low hill, the Colle de Vento.

Posted Image

Here he discovered this remarkable and anatomically modern human skull. The stratum from which it was taken is assigned to the Astian stage of the Pliocene.

According to modern authorities, the Astian belongs to the Middle Pliocene, which would give the skull an age of 3 - 4 million years.

This is another fabrication being perpetuated as true as well:

Castenedolo Man:  Morris and Parker (1982) say "Fossils of ordinary people in Mid-Tertiary rock [i.e. tens of millions of years old; the actual date is about 1.5 million years] were found in Castenedolo, Italy back in the late 1800's ...". According to Boule, an official report on these skeletons in 1899 noted that all the fossils from the deposit were impregnated with salt, except the human ones. This implies that they are from relatively recent burials. Collagen tests in 1965 and radiocarbon dating in 1969 confirmed this. (Conrad 1982)

Cremo and Thompson, in their book Forbidden Archeology, claim that the original documents in fact do not support the claim of intrusive burial (see here). Not being able to obtain the original literature I can neither confirm nor deny this, though I do not have a lot of faith in the scholarship of Cremo and Thompson (see a review of their book here). Whatever the details, I find the modern tests conducted on the bones more convincing than ancient reports at second-hand.

As to the Willendorf  Venus, it doesn't require a civilization to create art. Many cultures that never reached the level to be considered a civilization have created works of art.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#62    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,495 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

View Postfullywired, on 08 July 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

He hasn't time to go out he is too busy reading

fullywired :innocent: :innocent:

Only 6 hours a day. That leaves 18. As a teacher and a member of two local communities I meet as  many, if not more people, than the average. But i nearly added an addendum to a couple of these posts saying how I knew you would love and appreciate them. as classic walkerisms. Today i will be engaging with 20-30 or so other people, having driven over 200 kilometers in the process of doing so.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#63    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,495 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 08 July 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

You had to know I was going to say this:  give me a specific example of a miracle.  One that is actually verifiable.  Not a story that may or may not be true.

I don't recall who said this, but:  someone once asked "What would you say if you saw a iron bar floating in the air?"  I believe it was Aldous Huxley who answered:  "I would say there was a natural phenomenon with which I was not familiar."  That is the problem you are up against with proving miracles - there always  may be some phenomenon that explains everything but that is unknown.

And while Star Trek technologies make good television, the assumption that some unknown entity is employing them is nothing more than speculation:  perhaps it is good theology, but there is no evidence to support it.

I find myself in Pascal's predicament:  how can I be sure if anything is true?  I reached the stage in which one has verified his own existence and the existence of the physical universe.  NOW:  How do I verify a supernatural universe?  So far, that has eluded me.  Any ideas?
Doug
Well that is the definition of  miracle. Something  real and physical which cannot be explained by present human knolewge. It was Clarke's second or third law which said  that any science which is advanced  enough to be unrecognisable as science is indistinguishable from magic. All real miracles are real physical events not simply delusions hallucinations or occcurences within the mind of an individual.

I cannot verify my miracles to you any more than i can verify a single natural real evnet in my life. How do i verify that i am eating raisn toast as i type, in a completely scientific manner. It depends on your trust and belief in the material i send you A piece of raisin taost raised to my mouth and a photo of me chewing does not prove i ate it. But if you were next to me observing me you could decide  for yourself.

"god" manifests as physically as the raisin toast i made this morning and miracles are of the same order of natural reality. When i eat the raisn toast it fills my hunger and little raisins pop out my rear end about 12 hours or so later, hence i know the raisin  toast was real But how can YOU know it was real.

Personally you have to verify the "supernatural" in exactly the same way you personally verify the natural world. How do you do this? By observation, testing, checking, logic and reason. For me the paranormal or supernatural is a part of the natural universe, just a part we have not yet been able to test measure and evaluate scientifically But we will, as our science progresses to the point where it can reproduce these events itself. As i stated, humans are less than a century from being able to duplicate every miracle, including the resurrection of body and mind, described in religious texts, save the actual creation of a planet sized object. That will come a little later.

My point about star trek is that science and science fiction both give me reference points and ways of thinking not available to a human from 2000 years ago. SO, when I see an entity materialise in front of me or dematerialse, I KNOW there are a number of scientific explanations for how this could be achieved.   If it is not solid it could be a holographic projection. If it is solid then it is the product of some form of matter transmisson, or possibly a personal cloaking device rendering the wearer invisible (or some other scientific advance i haven't even considered.) There is no religious belief attached to this. They are just possible scientific explanations for real physical events. EVERY real physical event has to have a real, scientific, and physical explanation for its occurence.

Ps if i saw an iron bar floating in mid air I would not assume it was the result of a natural occurence, but of an enfgineered one. I HAVE seen an iron plate suspended in mid air. I've seen a whole train suspended in mid air. This is relatively "old" human technology called magnetic levitation or mag lev.

Edited by Mr Walker, 09 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#64    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,737 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postscowl, on 08 July 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

The dates of some of of Jor-el's "finds" aren't as clear cut as he claims. For example they found another skeleton at the site of the Castenedolo skull and radiocarbon dating of it put it at less than a thousand years old. Also when you quote a 19th century newspaper article dated April 2nd describing an incredible discovery that has never been seen, you have to apply more than a little skepticism here.

Dating finds by stratigraphy is a difficult process, especially in areas prone to glaciers like North America. New stuff sometimes gets jumbled with old stuff and can easily be misinterpreted. Amateurs can easily misdate something.

Amateurs some may be, others are known professionals.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#65    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,385 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 09 July 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Well that is the definition of  miracle. Something  real and physical which cannot be explained by present human knolewge. It was Clarke's second or third law which said  that any science which is advanced  enough to be unrecognisable as science is indistinguishable from magic. All real miracles are real physical events not simply delusions hallucinations or occcurences within the mind of an individual.
Guess I wasn't very clear there.  By "miracle" I mean something that violates the laws of nature.  By your comments I take it that you would define any unexplained phenomenon as a miracle.  Would you consider god to be supernatural?
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#66    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 09 July 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

... But i nearly added an addendum to a couple of these posts saying how I knew you would love and appreciate them. as classic walkerisms. Today i will be engaging with 20-30 or so other people, having driven over 200 kilometers in the process of doing so.

I don't know about Walkerisms they sound like Spoonerisms  ie "A lack of pies"

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#67    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostJor-el, on 09 July 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Amateurs some may be, others are known professionals.

Which you mixed together as if they were the same thing.

#68    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostJor-el, on 08 July 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Yes, a lot of people have stopped bothering with me... maybe because they do not actually have the answers to my questions... I posted a huge but actually very small part of a list of anomalies that science cannot explain, but keep on believing in the evolution of mankind if it makes you feel sciency...
You are not scientific, you are a cherry picker with a stacked deck and a patronizing attitude  Of course people, even those who agree with you, don't plow through all your pompous cut and paste jobs.

#69    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,737 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

View Postscowl, on 09 July 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Which you mixed together as if they were the same thing.

I presented a list of varying situations found by both amateurs and professional archaeologists. People have this tendency that if it doesn't come with a degree it must be fake... I do not subscribe to that view, things are found by all types of people, even when they least expect it. It does not mean they are lying.

The problem is clearer with the professionals, where they are threatened in a number of ways to submit to the established view. This flimsy excuse that science and facts trumps all is a blind pulled over peoples eyes because when facts are presented they aren't accepted or believed...

Modern Human Skeleton from Tanzania, over 800,000 years old
In 1913 Professor Hans Reck, of Berlin University, conducted investigations at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania, then German East Africa.

During his stay at Olduvai Gorge, Reck found a modern human skeleton that remains a source of mystery and controversy to this day.

Posted Image

This modern skull is from a fully human skeleton found that year. The human skeletal remains, including this complete skull, were cemented in the rock and had to be chipped with hammers and chisels. It was found in the upper end of a rock bed dated at more than 1,000,000 years old.

This is what "Bad Archaeology", a professional website run by credentialed archaeologists has to say...

The difficulty with accepting Reck’s skeleton as being a million years old is that his work was done without any appreciation of archaeological stratigraphy. Although the deposit from which the skeleton was recovered was of that sort of age, it was not clear to Reck if the burial was intrusive (in other words, deposited more recently by digging a grave into that particular geological stratum).

Indeed, geological analysis of the material surrounding the skeleton showed it to contain red pebbles and limestone chips derived from higher (i.e. later) strata than that in which the skeleton was thought to have lain. This makes it certain that it was intrusive, in other words, in a grave cut down from a higher layer. As early as 1932, Leakey’s work there showed that this has to be the most economical explanation; had there been anatomically modern humans at this date in the gorge, we would expect to find other remains in contemporary strata, and as we do not, we must question Reck’s original judgement. In fact, even Reck later came to agree that the skeleton was of a recently buried human (most estimates now put it at around 20,000 years old)

But what they fail to mention is the following:

The accusation that stratograghy was not performed correctly conflict with the original reports. Leakey backed Reck until the disgruntled peer review insinuated threats against Leakey’s upcoming review if he did not stop backing Reck. One peer review rejected Recks finding based on his belief in the authenticity of piltdown man.

At first, Leakey thought exactly what "Bad Archaeology" above claims, that it was either a part of a different strata or that it was buried from an earlier time into the strata below. However, after Leakey and Reck studied the skeleton within the rock he found no evidence suggesting a burial (the soil would have been mixed up in that area with soil from above, and this was clearly not the case). Leakey then changed his view and backed Reck.

He only changed his position again after another archeologist (who may have had a definite bias since the books he was writing would have been blown out of the water by such a find) supposedly found the red pebbles that Leakey and Reck had somehow missed in their own careful analysis.

Leakey may not have wanted risk his career to go down the tubes due to this and eventually caved under pressure. As was mentioned above, he faced a hostile peer review if he did not stop backing Reck.

The claim that there have not been other artifacts to support the existence of a skeleton like this is also false. The problems seems to be that if something doesn’t fit into mainstream views or paradigm at the moment – it cannot exist or be correct.

Stories of this nature abound if you are paying attention, and it is the Professional Scientists that is at risk as the following video demonstrates...

See it if you want to, ignore it if you don't, the facts do not make your case.... they are dishonest and distorted by ignoring opposing evidence.

Edited by Jor-el, 09 July 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

#70    Jor-el

Jor-el

• 7,737 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 09 July 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

You are not scientific, you are a cherry picker with a stacked deck and a patronizing attitude  Of course people, even those who agree with you, don't plow through all your pompous cut and paste jobs.

Patronizing is assuming "under the mantle of science" that we believers are ignorant hicks.

Posted Image

-C. S. Lewis

#71    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 09 July 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Guess I wasn't very clear there.  By "miracle" I mean something that violates the laws of nature.  By your comments I take it that you would define any unexplained phenomenon as a miracle.  Would you consider god to be supernatural?
Doug

Any presently  scientifically inexplicable phenomena is either presently paranormal or supernatural by definition. The idea of giving a person a vaccination  preventing multiple diseases, would once have been considered a miracle.  There are two classesof the paranormal/supernatural Those which exist only in a humans mind and may be imagined or real, and those which have independent physical existence and are thus as real as any natural entity or phenomenum.

. God includes both those categories. Imagined/ constructed deities and human interpretaion of real physicla entities.  The nature of the later form of god is natural ( An evolved being of the universe) but presently immeasurable and thus unquantifiable. It is as if a human from the 22nd century went back in time 5000 years taking their technology with them. What he she could do with/to the inhabitants of earth at that time would only be understandable in terms of miracles and gods to those people.

For example such a person would be invulnerable using force field technology, capable of reading minds using inbuilt data links, able to move instantly from place to place using matter transmission, able to heal the sick and possibly raise the dead using hand held  portable machines. And also able to create matter from apparently nothing (actually shaping it from energy or else manipulating it from other matter and transmitting it from place to place) They will be able to make them selves and all their technology invisible using cloaking devices. All these technologies are presently being developed and will be in common use, long before the end of this century.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#72    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

View Postfullywired, on 09 July 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

I don't know about Walkerisms they sound like Spoonerisms  ie "A lack of pies"

Why bother lieing. It is not self serving in the end, to tell lies.  I already have such a high opinion of myself that i do not need to build a false  sense of worth  by lielng. I meant that you often criticise me for speaking about myself in response to posts. But i do so only to give information in respsone to criticism, such as in this case. There is no need to lie i am simply sating who and waht i am and thus why i believ and write as i do  so tha tpeole will better comprehend what iam saying A reader will have a very different opinion of a person who only reads the bible, from one who reads the bible and every other form of literature they can access. And rightly so..

I've been posting for hearly 10 years now. If you doubt my veracity go back over those posts and try to find the discrepancies which would arise from lieing. All such posts include true information about me and my life as best i can recall and understand it.

I am proud of my abilities and accomplishments, but I know there are many areas where others excell, and i have no interest, as in professional sports.  I have mastered and played many sports and for example learned as a teenager to ;ski barefoot, ice skate, scuba dive, spear fish, roller blade, surf (and hang five and ten) hang glide, skateboard  snow ski and toboggan  while on family holidays. i learned karate and judo and how to make and and use many forms of weapons from ninja stars, through swords and even homemade, mortars and pipe bombs. I even  learned to horseride bareback so that i could then learn to joust (blame the tv programmes of the late fifties and early sixties like; the samurai, ivanhoe, and robin hood for this mis-spent youth) We also learned to trap animals for food using traps and shares and how to shoot them, again for food, using only one shot, one animal.

The fun for me was in learning and mastering every type of sport or challenge. I could, but i got bored playing them (and even with blowing things up and shooting them, (once you can put a full load of .22, 9mm or .45 rounds from a handgun into a human -torso sized target from 20 metres away, or hit a floating balloon with a .222 rifle from 300-500 metres, what need do you have to do better)) and i never saw any point in competitive sports. (Too much like the roman bread and circuses) So you see my mundane life was interesting enough (and yes all these activities are true, along with many more) I dont have any need to lie there either.

I was lucky to live in a time and place where this was possible and to have parents who encouraged me to dream, create and act on those dreams to make and construct things.  And all of us survived without broken bones and only moderately minor; arrow, bullet, knife  and other wounds. We never lost a finger and only had one case of minor conconcussion when i somersaulted a racing billy cart at high speed. I nealry lost a toe when a rope broke as i swinging from tree to tree,and I had a deep cut on my ankle from sliding into a tree stump on a motor bike racing circuit. But in general we all had a wow of a time and survived unscathed.(Except for a slightly  scarred forehead where i was hit by a chop bone thrown by a girl when i was about 10, but that's another story.

Actually talkiing about this has jogged a memory One of my worst wounds came from a fishing line when i caught a very large schnapper as a young boy. I was determined to bring it up, and i did so but in the process got a very deep wound from the nylon line  inmy finger.There were also numerous occasions when we had to cut fish hooks out of hands fingers and occasionally a face or two. Some rather bad cases of sunburn and the hand I cut deeply trying to vault over a 6 foot high galvanised iron fence ( but i succeeded)

Edited by Mr Walker, 10 July 2013 - 04:09 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#73    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostJor-el, on 09 July 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Patronizing is assuming "under the mantle of science" that we believers are ignorant hicks.
That is indeed an odd definition.  I think you constructed it so as to be able to feel persecuted.

#74    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,103 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 10 July 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Why bother lieing. It is not self serving in the end, to tell lies.  I already have such a high opinion of myself that i do not need to build a false  sense of worth  by lielng. I meant that you often criticise me for speaking about myself in response to posts. But i do so only to give information in respsone to criticism, such as in this case. There is no need to lie i am simply sating who and waht i am and thus why i believ and write as i do  so tha tpeole will better comprehend what iam saying A reader will have a very different opinion of a person who only reads the bible, from one who reads the bible and every other form of literature they can access. And rightly so..

I've been posting for hearly 10 years now. If you doubt my veracity go back over those posts and try to find the discrepancies which would arise from lieing. All such posts include true information about me and my life as best i can recall and understand it.

I am proud of my abilities and accomplishments, but I know there are many areas where others excell, and i have no interest, as in professional sports.  I have mastered and played many sports and for example learned as a teenager to ;ski barefoot, ice skate, scuba dive, spear fish, roller blade, surf (and hang five and ten) hang glide, skateboard  snow ski and toboggan  while on family holidays. i learned karate and judo and how to make and and use many forms of weapons from ninja stars, through swords and even homemade, mortars and pipe bombs. I even  learned to horseride bareback so that i could then learn to joust (blame the tv programmes of the late fifties and early sixties like; the samurai, ivanhoe, and robin hood for this mis-spent youth) We also learned to trap animals for food using traps and shares and how to shoot them, again for food, using only one shot, one animal.

The fun for me was in learning and mastering every type of sport or challenge. I could, but i got bored playing them (and even with blowing things up and shooting them, (once you can put a full load of .22, 9mm or .45 rounds from a handgun into a human -torso sized target from 20 metres away, or hit a floating balloon with a .222 rifle from 300-500 metres, what need do you have to do better)) and i never saw any point in competitive sports. (Too much like the roman bread and circuses) So you see my mundane life was interesting enough (and yes all these activities are true, along with many more) I dont have any need to lie there either.

I was lucky to live in a time and place where this was possible and to have parents who encouraged me to dream, create and act on those dreams to make and construct things.  And all of us survived without broken bones and only moderately minor; arrow, bullet, knife  and other wounds. We never lost a finger and only had one case of minor conconcussion when i somersaulted a racing billy cart at high speed. I nealry lost a toe when a rope broke as i swinging from tree to tree,and I had a deep cut on my ankle from sliding into a tree stump on a motor bike racing circuit. But in general we all had a wow of a time and survived unscathed.(Except for a slightly  scarred forehead where i was hit by a chop bone thrown by a girl when i was about 10, but that's another story.

Actually talkiing about this has jogged a memory One of my worst wounds came from a fishing line when i caught a very large schnapper as a young boy. I was determined to bring it up, and i did so but in the process got a very deep wound from the nylon line  inmy finger.There were also numerous occasions when we had to cut fish hooks out of hands fingers and occasionally a face or two. Some rather bad cases of sunburn and the hand I cut deeply trying to vault over a 6 foot high galvanised iron fence ( but i succeeded)

Truly amazing!!!! :w00t:

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#75    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,385 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostJor-el, on 09 July 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

I presented a list of varying situations found by both amateurs and professional archaeologists. People have this tendency that if it doesn't come with a degree it must be fake... I do not subscribe to that view, things are found by all types of people, even when they least expect it. It does not mean they are lying.

The problem is clearer with the professionals, where they are threatened in a number of ways to submit to the established view. This flimsy excuse that science and facts trumps all is a blind pulled over peoples eyes because when facts are presented they aren't accepted or believed...

There is nothing magical about an advanced degree.  Anybody with average intelligence can do it.  It takes opportunity and a high level of persistence.  But one does not have to be particularly brilliant.  All an advanced degree does is indicate that a (presumably) impartial entity is willing to certify that the holder of the degree knows what he is doing in a certain field.  Degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) are in demand because they certify that the bearers are competent in a certain type of problem solving.  That's all scientific work is - problem solving.

Science is not a set of findings or discoveries; it is a process for looking at nature.  Those finds you listed are not science; it is the process of examining them that is (or isn't) science.  More than anything else, research involves running down and tying up all the loose ends.  And that is the one thing the posted articles didn't do.  Perhaps in 1852 there were loose ends that couldn't be checked out, or perhaps the people who made the finds disturbed them so that the data was no longer available, or perhaps the people who made the finds didn't know what to check out or how to do it.  At any rate, it wasn't done, so you (and we) are left with nothing but speculation and some useless artifacts.

People who disagree with scientific findings are not ignorant hicks - scientists do it all the time (Send a paper through peer review if you'd like to find out how nasty things can get.  Even if you're right, you'll likely get your ears pinned back.).  But people who do not know that they do not know the techniques of rational thinking and research and persist in putting out unsupported drivel instead of reliable work - those people ARE ignorant hicks.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users