Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How much longer can Earth support life ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,089 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Earth started without man and it will end without man.

The earth will last awhile unless there is a major "Earth shattering" event. It's Humans that have a limited time. We could have as little as on hundred years or we could have another billion years. My personal gut feeling is that I wont have great great  grandchildren.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#17    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,587 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostTechnocrat, on 24 September 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Evolution is a false doctrine that can not be proved. :no: In fact, it can be disproved. :yes:  

http://www.abovetops...hread163678/pg1

http://www.ucg.org/s...-without-bible/
This probably belongs in the religion section.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,378 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 25 September 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

This probably belongs in the religion section.
Doug

Nah, not really. It belongs into the trashcan, which is why I chose to ignore it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,587 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 September 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

Nah, not really. It belongs into the trashcan, which is why I chose to ignore it.
Same thing.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#20    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,615 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I always find it kind of interesting how much we equate the earth to humanity. Like, OMG, the end of the world! No, just the end of humanity, or a great change to humanity that might feel like the end. I think humans are capable of doing enough damage to the earth in a sudden fashion to irreparably damage our capabilities of living like we do on the earth. I think we are capable of overbreeding to the point where the earths resources are no longer enough to support us. But the earth is a pretty amazing gal that can recover from a lot of damage, so I think it's unlikely we could do so much damage as to make it unsupportable for all life.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

View Postrashore, on 25 September 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

I always find it kind of interesting how much we equate the earth to humanity. Like, OMG, the end of the world! No, just the end of humanity, or a great change to humanity that might feel like the end. I think humans are capable of doing enough damage to the earth in a sudden fashion to irreparably damage our capabilities of living like we do on the earth. I think we are capable of overbreeding to the point where the earths resources are no longer enough to support us. But the earth is a pretty amazing gal that can recover from a lot of damage, so I think it's unlikely we could do so much damage as to make it unsupportable for all life.

Humans think human-centric and are very shocked every time they discover that they are wrong (i.e our solar system is Heliocentric and not Terracentric, our planet is at the end of the Galaxy, not in the middle and if humans die out tomorrow nobody would notice).

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 September 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Humans think human-centric and are very shocked every time they discover that they are wrong (i.e our solar system is Heliocentric and not Terracentric, our planet is at the end of the Galaxy, not in the middle and if humans die out tomorrow nobody would notice).
My dog would notice, because he still hasnt learned how to use a can opener..

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

View Postjules99, on 25 September 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

My dog would notice, because he still hasnt learned how to use a can opener..

Why? your remains will still be laying around.

about me

#24    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,393 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

This is a video about Life After People. Interesting.

Edited by Hawkin, 25 September 2013 - 10:43 PM.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#25    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

The greatest challenge for our survival will not be an all-ending asteroid nor a nuclear superwar, nor even a supernova. It will be our impotence as a people to act pre-emptively on these things.

But whether it's good or bad that we're gone... who knows. I bet another species with just as much stupidity (intelligence that it doesn't use even if it could) will come and do "humans" all over again. Might be a good thing some of us would be around to warn against that.

Edited by Mikko-kun, 25 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

I'll be gone.

#26    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't take long for the earth to repair herself after humanity was gone.  We are less than fleas on a dog's back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users