Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Forum update progress

update

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#196    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,795 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

The new mobile version is a lot harder to use in relation to navigating pages throughout a thread. Though the loading message that sometimes did not disappear and produced duplicates clogging up the screen is fixed for me. Also sometimes the "unread" status on threads i have not viewed does not come up.

Edited by Orcseeker, 14 May 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#197    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,059 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

I see that your profile shows how many "likes" you have gotten on posts. But, other then going back over all your posts over the last week, how can you find which posts were "like"ed?

If people are going to like what you wrote, I at least would like to see where those likes are coming from.

Love the new set up. :clap: :tsu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#198    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 14 May 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Also sometimes the "unread" status on threads i have not viewed does not come up.
Getting everything to work perfectly for everyone on the mobile skin is difficult due to the range of mobile devices out there, a patch is incoming which may fix some of the issues people have been experiencing with it.

View PostDieChecker, on 16 May 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

I see that your profile shows how many "likes" you have gotten on posts. But, other then going back over all your posts over the last week, how can you find which posts were "like"ed?
In your profile click the "likes" option on the left hand menu, then click "received" at the top right to filter the list.

#199    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,353 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hello again, sorry I'm late replying, but on the subject of this..

View Post747400, on 11 May 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

hello again. I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but there still seems to be a loading problem in that you can reply to a post, and having typed it all out and you click 'Post', those three little squares at the top'll go back and forth, but it won't seem to load, or if it does, it'll be very very slow. is this just a problem with my particular Browser, or is it just slow loading time?

View PostSaru, on 13 May 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

When does it do that ? Every time you try to make a post ?
I can confirm that it still does it from time time, it did it a bit earlier on in fact. You sort of get stuck in limbo, with those little dots going back & forth. The only way i've found to get out of it is to copy the entire post, & open it again. It may be something to dio with Windows, that wouldn't surprise me, I think I'll try another Browser and see if it does it.

** Ah, the richness of Irony. Guess what it did when I tried to post that? That's right. So i did indeed open it again. Shall we try it again?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#200    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

See my note about this from earlier, we're in the process of archiving topics that are too large as it looks like these are the main cause of the server load issues responsible for the delays you are describing.

#201    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,795 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostSaru, on 16 May 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Getting everything to work perfectly for everyone on the mobile skin is difficult due to the range of mobile devices out there, a patch is incoming which may fix some of the issues people have been experiencing with it.
This also applies to page navigation in threads?

#202    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 16 May 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

This also applies to page navigation in threads?
What problem are you experiencing with page navigation in threads ?

#203    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,059 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostSaru, on 16 May 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

In your profile click the "likes" option on the left hand menu, then click "received" at the top right to filter the list.
Ah.. Thanks! I'll check it out.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#204    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,795 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostSaru, on 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

What problem are you experiencing with page navigation in threads ?
On the old version I remember the page numbers showing up on the forum page. Now it is not showing at all. If I enter a massive thread I cannot simply navigate to the first page or any other set page but must simply use the "Prev" and "Next" options until I get to the desired page. When we get into those big 100 page threads this just doesn't seem an efficient process.

I apologise if I'm missing something here but I can't seem to find a way to navigate to pages as easily as the older version.

#205    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've made a note to look in to this as well.

#206    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Update:

The 'like' system has been disabled for the time being as it appears to be contributing heavily to server performance issues, internally it has produced a cache table containing several million records and this produces long wait times when viewing threads, especially long threads with hundreds of pages. The result is that the more time passes with the 'likes' enabled, the slower things get until the forum becomes practically unusable.

I'm going to bring this up with Invision support and see if there's a way we can keep the 'like' system without this happening. We have been archiving some of the largest threads on the boards and while this does help overall performance it isn't enough on its own to counter the problem.

#207    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Saru,

How do I make this show up in my signature as a 'clickable' text/link:

<a href="http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625">Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 1]</a>

Or in a post?

Edited by Abramelin, 17 May 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#208    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,146 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Use this code:
[url=http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood (Part 1)[/url]

#209    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostSaru, on 17 May 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Use this code:
[url=http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=11625]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood (Part 1)[/url]

Ah yes, BBCode.

Thanks.

#210    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well I'm glad to know where the like button has gone.  Hope we can keep it as I use it a lot instead of posting (not that it is noticeable) lol

Great job on the update.

Saru, I don't know when you sleep.  I suspect you are a robot.

I love the new look and everything is super fast for me with Firefox.

Once again, great work and thank you for a tremendous site and splendid tolerance of me.  :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users