Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

What music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

i like jazz, bossa nova, easy listening acoustic, anything with violin and cello

#77    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 23 February 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

I doubt all of that very much. Most Gifted kids are bored with school, their minds wonder and they just want out of it. Mostly boys, girls tend to react a bit different. Poor forthought? I would argue that case. The smart kid is the one asking what is all this going to do for me? And if the answer isn't apparent, they may rebel. The kids that follow unquestionably an education system built on industrial age thinking because they are told its good for them, are the ones not demonstrating forethought.

Intelligent people pretty much love education.  It's true they can get bored, but schools have been trying to address this for decades with programs to diversify the curriculum, especially with the inclusion of advanced courses, and also skipping kids ahead in the earlier years.  And I don't think you're exercising much forethought here.  Skipping school has consequences, so intelligent kids will choose not to skip in order to avoid the consequences.  Also following the education system is a legal requirement until you're almost entirely through it, and given that a lack of HS diploma or GED is a huge impediment to getting any job above menial labor, intelligent kids would choose to finish no matter how bored they may be.

#78    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,851 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostEverdred, on 23 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Intelligent people pretty much love education.  It's true they can get bored, but schools have been trying to address this for decades with programs to diversify the curriculum, especially with the inclusion of advanced courses, and also skipping kids ahead in the earlier years.  And I don't think you're exercising much forethought here.  Skipping school has consequences, so intelligent kids will choose not to skip in order to avoid the consequences.  Also following the education system is a legal requirement until you're almost entirely through it, and given that a lack of HS diploma or GED is a huge impediment to getting any job above menial labor, intelligent kids would choose to finish no matter how bored they may be.
Intelligent people love education, intelligent kids get bored.

Avoiding consequences and getting "a job" is not the hallmark of intelligent people... Wise people Mabey... Not the intelligent. The intelligent people are usually more focused on giving the people who think they are intelligent jobs. ;) or the less than ethical Getting around one.

Edited by Seeker79, 23 February 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#79    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Well i have thought about it seeker i cant give just 3 or 4 favorite songs it is impossible for me :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#80    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 23 February 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

bet you love 'QuarterFlash'

I've never heard of QuarterFlash.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#81    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,320 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think Elton Johns old Goodbye Yellow Brick Road CD was a great one. :yes:

#82    mike72

mike72

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I listen to anything. I grew up with music. If i was to pick one type of music i guess it would be Punk. It could be that late 70's sound or the 80's hardcore type, 3 chord in your face, slam dance in the pit music, lol.
I taught myself bass and played in a few punk bands in Toronto in the 80's and 90's.
But i also love Ska, oi, country,dance,Metal,  oldies, classical, i guess you could say i could listen to anything.

Edited by mike72, 24 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#83    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I just hope I don't get hoisted on my own petard here...
So your looking for pscyological reasons why I like the music I like?
Well you can't go much further than the saying if music is the food of love then play on.
But that's only a figure of speech because music isn't specifically about love.
It's about happiness,letting your hair down and having a  jolly good time.
Specific songs commemorate landmark events in your life.
So on that note I reckon The Smiths are very indicative of my life so far.
While the " rave " scene of the late eighties and early nineties are indicative of the life I wanted.
However dance music in general not only gives me a sense of escapism but a feel- good factor.
But I can't narrow a list of tunes I like to three or four.

Edited by Medium Brown, 24 February 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#84    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I think that I'm the only person on this full forum that listens to Scouse House. I produce it aswell in my spare time when i'm not working. I also listen to Rap and R&B. I used to be in a band when i was at school 7 yrs ago. Needleds to say. We never got anywhere.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#85    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,206 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

I have always thought that you can tell a lot about a persons inner self  based on what kind of music they listen to.

What do you listen to? If there is a why then explain that to?
Hi Seeker79,

I listen to 20th century music: Harsh Elektro, Dark Wave, Acid New Beat, '80s Synthpop, Country Western, Vocal Jazz, '70s and '60s Rock. I also listen to Ancient Music, some Baroque, many Romantic pieces, and extremely few 20th century Classical: sacred, secular, Latin, German, and English languages. Why? I'm a picky audiophile and was a tough critic for a European cutting-edge magazine, until I got bored of critiquing tired, regurgitated music of the 21st century. Actually, I have a fingerful of this century's Country Western love songs. What does it say about me? Well, I am, after all, a Romantic (genre) writer...with a twist.

Peace.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#86    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

I have a thing for listening to acapella by anyone and everyone:  Here's one of my favorites...

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#87    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

And one of my favorites...Paul Gilbert

Edited by NiteMarcher, 27 February 2013 - 03:51 AM.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#88    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,454 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

I go through phases but My top bands are Cage the elehpant, Bob dylan ( yes i know he is a person not a band)  My Chemical Romance

Edited by spartan max2, 27 February 2013 - 04:20 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#89    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postdanbell06, on 26 February 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

I think that I'm the only person on this full forum that listens to Scouse House. I produce it aswell in my spare time when i'm not working. I also listen to Rap and R&amp;B. I used to be in a band when i was at school 7 yrs ago. Needleds to say. We never got anywhere.
You have led me indirectly to a really good point.
The geographical roots of you and your music.
So if you like your local bands that means you have a emotional attachment to your area.
That means I like a plethora of local talent including The Smiths,New Order,Oasis,The Stone Roses,Inspiral Carpets,The Ting Tongs,808 State and The Happy Mondays.
There's even that cheesy apparition that calls itself The Blackout Crew.
However my theory falls to bits because I draw the line at Simply Red and Take That.
Everybody knows that Mick Hucknall is the king of " dad" music.
It even says it in Who's Who.

Edited by Medium Brown, 27 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#90    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,788 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Mostly classical, as that was the music my mother listened to when I was young. Then I got into The Beatles, and from there the rock music of the late '60's and '70's. Popular music of the '80' to today doesn't interest me. I listen to jazz, also.

I think the music one likes best is the music from one's youth.

Being a musician, I like to think my musical tastes are sophisticated enough to tell the good from the bad. There's a lot of great 20th century music out there in many genres. 21st century...I haven't heard much worth listening to so far.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users