Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] London rooftops to carry missiles

Still Waters

Residents in east London are due to have missiles placed on their roofs this week to protect the Olympic Games from airborne terrorist attacks.

Military planners at the Ministry of Defence have decided to fit high-velocity rockets with a range of 5km to several apartment blocks close to the Olympic Park. This weekend they informed the occupants of the Lexington Building apartment complex in Bow that a missile battery would be installed this week.

The weapons are capable of shooting down aircraft and can counter "pop-up strikes" by helicopters, according to the MoD. During the Games, they will be controlled around the clock by 10 unarmed soldiers, who might be guarded by armed police.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

The Olympics smokescreen doesn't wash with anoyone! The missiles are being stationed to protect us from the impending Alien invasion by reptilians from..... wherever they come from!

• Like 1

Why not just arm the soldiers and save the money from having to hire armed police? :huh:

Why not just arm the soldiers and save the money from having to hire armed police? :huh:

I noticed that as well. I wonder if it isn't a British version of our Posse Comitatus laws? No armed military doing police work within the country?

As to feeling safer I'd say heck yeah!! When I'm home. But I'd feel a little squeamish and keep glancing at overhead traffic out in public since one of them might just fall on your head :gun:

What are they going to shoot at ?..How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists,like Halt who goes there ? friend or foe, stop or I'll shoot.The next thing you'll see is," Plane approaching Heathrow shot down by friendly fire".

How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists

heh.. there's an IFF (identification friend or foe) transponder active for this..

but..

i don't get it? ...what happens when 20 tonnes of falling terrorist plane debris crushes folks in their houses?

..should they have been supporting their team at the olympics?

..in ancient times, wars were postponed for the olympics.. times have changed..

• Like 1

What are they going to shoot at ?..How are they gonna tell friendly aircraft from terrorists,like Halt who goes there ? friend or foe, stop or I'll shoot.The next thing you'll see is," Plane approaching Heathrow shot down by friendly fire".

It could happen, Spud, but only if the terrorists were pretty sophisticated. Every aircraft that flies has a radio signal it emits constantly to identify it. So if there's one that's not id'd it would be fair game. Or if the terrorists stole one or hijacked one of course the missiles might not help in time.

'airborne terrorist attacks'!!!! They'd stand a better chance of averting a terrorist attack if they just set up a road block around Birmingham.

There are to be 10 soldiers to be stationed with the missiles.

What are they going to shoot at ?..

Terrorists.

i don't get it? ...what happens when 20 tonnes of falling terrorist plane debris crushes folks in their houses

I'd rather 80 people got killed by falling debris from a shot down terrorist plane than having 80,000 people killed as a result of terrorist activity.

Remember what Bill Adama said "the police protect the people, the army fights the enemy - when the army becomes the police the enemy becomes the people"

• Like 1

I'm staying away from London for the whole event. I mean even if terrorists manage to hijack a plane, how does shooting it down over a massively populated city make any sense?! I would rather they put armed guards on the planes to stop the hijacking in the first place, or am I just using more common sense than the government?

I'm staying away from London for the whole event. I mean even if terrorists manage to hijack a plane, how does shooting it down over a massively populated city make any sense?! I would rather they put armed guards on the planes to stop the hijacking in the first place, or am I just using more common sense than the government?

Maybe terrorists wouldn't want us to put an armed guard on a airplane they've had on permanent loan from one of the likely sources?

I saw this on the news this morning. In my opinion they are conditioning the public to having military in and amongst them. In a couple of generations nobody will think twice about having heavily armed military and police amongst an unarmed civilian populace.

This whole surface to air missile thing is bogus. How many planes have needed to be shot down over recent olympics or other international events? And how much tax dollars is this costing the british populace?

new world order. a thousand points of light.

Aggghh...its not for the Olympics...its to make sure nobody riots this year..... :whistle:

There are to be 10 soldiers to be stationed with the missiles.

Yeah, I gathered that...but it makes no sense to have an unarmed military guarding missles and then having armed police guarding the military. It's a waste of resources and completely pointless.

Remember what Bill Adama said "the police protect the people, the army fights the enemy - when the army becomes the police the enemy becomes the people"

While this may be true, the military isn't taking control of the civilian population. They're watching over their own weapons in the event of a terrorist attack, yet they will be unarmed and be guarded by the police. The military's job is to protect the country and the people within it, while fighting the enemy. If you're not going to arm your military so they can defend against attacks but have the police watching over them, what is the point?

My imagination is running riot...HEATHROW Control...Emirates flight Tango 31 inbound from Tehran requesting permission to land..Go ahead Emirates Tango 31 you are clear to land on runway 3...HEATHROW Control..Air Force One inbound from Washington requesting .......(BANG)........Dread the thought.............. London roofs are not the place for surface to air missiles..no way...When is this Gov't gonna stop MESSING and do something right ???

If they want to kill hundreds and hit the headlines they can just bomb a football crowd or a train anywhere in the country.Terrorists don't attack a superior enemy head on where they are prepared for the attack...they go for the flanks where they are most likely to succeed.

Soldiers should be based here protecting ports and airports...not in some foreign sand pit...Then maybe the cops can get back to policing the streets.

Edited by zebra99
  • Like 1

And how exactly are you going to enforce that on flights originating on other airlines from outside the country?

If they want to kill hundreds and hit the headlines they can just bomb a football crowd or a train anywhere in the country.Terrorists don't attack a superior enemy head on where they are prepared for the attack...they go for the flanks where they are most likely to succeed.

Soldiers should be based here protecting ports and airports...not in some foreign sand pit...Then maybe the cops can get back to policing the streets.

Agree 100% I've been saying the same thing for years

D'you know what scares me the most on this subject? The fact that 'Call-me-Dave' will have his finger on the trigger! His track record so far makes George W. Bush look like a master of competency!

Lol dont worry im sure its not something they havent considered

Lol dont worry im sure its not something they havent considered

Dont kid yourself,judging by the mess they make of everything else,they'll probably take a few pot shots at the London Eye just to see if they can hit the middle to get some practise in.Any one who even thinks of sticking a missile launcher on the roof of a building in a public crowded area has got to be MENTAL,and if something goes wrong as no doubt it will,who will put his hand up and confess it was his idea..No one ,but the Squaddie who fires it will be put in the nick for mass murder.

Missile launcher on your roof? Now that would be a good conversation starter down the pub.....i'll have one of those please, where do I sign!!