Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A New Religion

alibongo

I am seriously thinking of starting a new religion. Obviously, it will involve costs, and I aim to cover those and perhaps make a bit as well (I need the money to be honest)..

It will need to be popular enough so I can claim charitable status for tax reasons.

I am thinking along the lines of: all humans are weak and vulnerable (most people think that in moments of doubt),but you can meet lost loved ones, and even meet new people to love, if you subscribe to it.The religion will unlock hidden talents you did not know you possess.

I am thinking of gradually more expense involved as you progress, but I also need subscribers to feel they are benefiting spiritually from my new religion.

I am thinking: the discovery of a previously lost ancient artefact which has mysterious, but potent, forces which can only be unlocked through study and expense

I think this is an ideal forum to ask for ideas. I know the usual original sinners and redemption ideas are popular, but I want this religion to really get people's imagination and enthusiasm.

What do you think are the requirements for a new religion to really take off?

• Like 1

So you want to start a new religion to lie and cheat people out of their souls and money. I don't think that would new.

• Like 6

All religion is free

Spirituality is free, religion is not. Pass the plate.

• Like 7

I think if I were to worship something it would be cats. I know that's been done before, but not for quite awhile, and they are just aloof enough yet demanding and selfish and bloodthirsty enough to fill the bill (or claw, as the case may be).

• Like 6

I would rather worship the dog. Give her a belly scratch and she is good. I worship the dog and you worship the cat now we'll have to go to war to see which is one true and loving God of peace.

• Like 4

Oh but a dog worships you; you must worship that cat. That is nature's way.

• Like 3

I am seriously thinking of starting a new religion. Obviously, it will involve costs, and I aim to cover those and perhaps make a bit as well (I need the money to be honest)..

It will need to be popular enough so I can claim charitable status for tax reasons.

I am thinking along the lines of: all humans are weak and vulnerable (most people think that in moments of doubt),but you can meet lost loved ones, and even meet new people to love, if you subscribe to it.The religion will unlock hidden talents you did not know you possess.

I am thinking of gradually more expense involved as you progress, but I also need subscribers to feel they are benefiting spiritually from my new religion.

I am thinking: the discovery of a previously lost ancient artefact which has mysterious, but potent, forces which can only be unlocked through study and expense

I think this is an ideal forum to ask for ideas. I know the usual original sinners and redemption ideas are popular, but I want this religion to really get people's imagination and enthusiasm.

What do you think are the requirements for a new religion to really take off?

Let me get this right: You are asking for public advice how to best arrange a scam?

• Like 3

Oh but a dog worships you; you must worship that cat. That is nature's way.

Dog make you think that, but in truth you are their slave. Everytime I walk by dog, she rolls on her back and demands bully scratch. The cat is the evil one. She plots our death, so she can eat us.

• Like 2

The church of Arthur Fonzarelli.

Fonzie be praised.... ayyyyyyyyyy.....

s04e18-the-father-the-son-and-the-holy-fonz.jpg

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 3

You'll need a name for this.

One really famous writer had quite a bit of success with this idea, If memory serves he was able to appeal to people's logic by using the word Science and people's need for spiritual guidance by also using the word Church in the name he chose for his scam.

• Like 3

You'll need a name for this.

One really famous writer had quite a bit of success with this idea, If memory serves he was able to appeal to people's logic by using the word Science and people's need for spiritual guidance by also using the word Church in the name he chose for his scam.

He did. Although I am not sure why you call it a scam. Is it any scammier than the other so-called religions, which we are always told to respect?

• Like 1

He did. Although I am not sure why you call it a scam. Is it any scammier than the other so-called religions, which we are always told to respect?

If it costs you about $100,000 for the powers that be in the religion to recognise you as having progressed to a high level - that's a scam.

Religions should be respected and honored; scams should be denounced and the perpetrators put in jail. So what do you do if something is both a religion and a scam?

• Like 2

What alibongo is suggesting isn't any more of a scam than many other institutions out there, religions or not. You start with "here is what we believe" and end up donating to spread your beliefs around. He'll need more than his own opinion to launch the religion though. He'll need to convince others that what he's promising is true, and those will need to convince others and so forth. If you donate 10x more, you'll be a gold member. Donate 5x more than that, and receive a platinum membership. If that recognition means something to the donor and they willingly give their money it's no more a scam than Bill Maher milking his million dollar giveaway to the Obama administration that promised a lot of bullhockey that never amounted to anything.

Why make a new religion? In the US, for tax exempt status. Is that a scam? From a personal standpoint it depends whether you're a net consumer or producer of tax dollars.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Yamato

If it costs you about $100,000 for the powers that be in the religion to recognise you as having progressed to a high level - that's a scam.

So from which amount on does it become a scam, until which amount is it not a scam? You got me curious now.

So from which amount on does it become a scam, until which amount is it not a scam? You got me curious now.

From the amount that is mandatory for information or opportunity to progress onward

Thanks for all the ideas.

Just to be clear, I am not knocking any existing religion.

And I am not thinking of scamming.

At the end of the day, if one of my adherents goes to sleep thinking they have improved their lives and enriched others lives, it has to be good!

I was thinking along the lines of a dating service/meditation/donation-to-charity sort of mixture (tax exemption status can make a lot of money by shifting donations).

What do you think the essential spiritual bit should contain?

My religion isn't going to allow male priests. It will have female priests only. And one male virgin will be sacrificed every Sunday. Spiritually we will worship the sacred feminine. Our hand gesture will be

P1000122.JPG

as a sign of reverence and duty to our wives, girlfriends and mistresses. And nope, dressing up like a female won't get you a place on the altar.

• Like 1

All religion is free

Tell that to a Scientologist

Let make bacon the holy sacrament. Blessings of the bacon all around.

• Like 2

Let make bacon the holy sacrament. Blessings of the bacon all around.

I like bacon in small doses.. I say lets make - Chocolate our holy sacrament... No wait - Chocolate, clothes, shoes, and cosmetics.. Ohhh now that is heaven...

I used to dream of a heavenly place of my own, filled with perfumes, soaps and cosmetics, with chocolate on the side to eat..oooooooohhhhhhhh love it...

What do I mean used to? I sort of still do dream of it.. I own a bit of it lol

• Like 1

You don't sound like you're starting a religion. You sound like you want to start a new age spiritual-based business. There are plenty of those around already.

I like bacon in small doses.. I say lets make - Chocolate our holy sacrament... No wait - Chocolate, clothes, shoes, and cosmetics.. Ohhh now that is heaven...

I used to dream of a heavenly place of my own, filled with perfumes, soaps and cosmetics, with chocolate on the side to eat..oooooooohhhhhhhh love it...

What do I mean used to? I sort of still do dream of it.. I own a bit of it lol

All Hail the Goddess BM!!!

:nw::nw: :nw: :nw:

• Like 1