Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hammys' Bedtime Stories

dancin'hamster

On the night of Sunday, October 31, 1976, a bored security guard named Tony Baron was patrolling a warehouse in Warrington. The time was 10.45 pm, and Tony decided to light a cigarette and go up to the roof of the building with his thermos flask of coffee.

The guard looked up at the full moon looming on the eastern horizon and inhaled some fresh air. He then casually scanned the skyline of the town, then looked down at the streets. He noticed the silhouettes of two girls chasing one another around the moonlit playground of a school about a hundred yards down the road. The girls had long hair and both looked roughly the same age; about sixteen or eighteen. Tony assumed they were sixth-formers messing about in the deserted playground.

Then they vanished as he watched.

Tony was so shocked by the sight of the vanishing double act, his jaw dropped and the cigarette fell into his cup of coffee. The guard continued staring at the playground to see if the figures would reappear, but they didn't. Tony felt uneasy and returned to the interior of the factory via a door in the roof. He had never believed in ghosts, but knew that he had just seen the ghosts of two schoolgirls; it had not been a trick of the light or some hallucination. The guard telephoned his old uncle, Stan Jones, a retired policeman, to tell him about the strange spectacle he'd just witnessed.

After he'd heard Tony's strange account, Stand asked his nephew: 'Haven't you read the news recently?'

Tony confessed that he only read the sports pages of the newspapers. 'Why Uncle Stan? What's that got to do with what I saw?'

Stan replied, 'It was in the papers about a week back, two sisters died in a car crash up in Bolton. They were only fifteen, and they both attended the school just down the road from where you are now.'

'You're kidding.' said Tony, feeling a cold chill all of a sudden.

Tony's Uncle Stan then made matters worse by relating a strange experience he'd had himself eleven years before - in the very warehouse Tony was guarding. Stan said, 'It was around 1965, and funnily enough I recall it was in October. In those days the old night-watchman used to let me in and I'd have a cuppa with him and a good natter. Anyway, on this October night, I turned up and the watchman poured me a cuppa tea and kindly offered me one of his sandwiches from his turning-out box. He then went to the toilet at the other end of the building. Now, I was never one for believing in ghosts and the supernatural and all that mumbo jumbo, but while the night-watchman was gone, something happened which played on my mind for years. Perhaps I shouldn't tell you. It could play on your mind too.'

Tony didn't know whether he wanted to hear the rest of his uncle's tale. If he didn't he knew he'd be wondering what his uncle had seen all night. 'Go one, I'm not scared Uncle Stan.' Tony said, watching the moon through the windows of the warehouse with an anxious look.

'Well,' continued Stan, 'just after the night-watchman went to the loo, a horrible, penetrating coldness filled the place. I could see my breath it was that cold all of a sudden. Then I got this really creepy feeling that there was some presence beside me.'

'How do you mean uncle?' Tony asked, nervously fiddling with the coiled phone flex.

Stan paused then said: 'It's hard to explain; it's like when people say they know when they're being watched. They can feel someone's eyes on them. It was like that. It became really tense in that place while the watchman was gone. And then I saw something. Sure you're not nervous?'

'Nah, I'm more curious than scared.' Tony said, putting on a false brave front.

'I saw these covered bodies lying in a row in the dark corner of the room. Three or four I think there were. Covered in white sheets. I was really baffled. The watchman came back and I looked at him and said; "What are those?" But they'd gone.'

'What did the watchman say? Did he see them?' Tony asked. He was getting goosebumps on his arms and neck as he spoke.

'The watchman didn't see the bodies, but he knew what I was talking about, because he said he'd seen the bodies a few times over the years.' Stan said.

'That's really weird.' Tony told him, and he was now sensing, or perhaps imagining - a presence.

'You know what the watchman told me?' Stan asked his trembling nephew.

'No, what uncle?'

'I thought he was having me on but your Auntie Hilda later confirmed it. The watchman said that a morgue used to stand on the site of the warehouse.' Stan said, and suddenly, the phoneline went dead.

Tony Baron felt the hairs on the nape of his neck standing up. He had the overwhelming feeling that something or someone was approaching from behind. Then he noticed the foul smell pervading the place. What's more, something icy touched the back of his head. The guard ran off as fast as his legs could carry him and with his heart pounding he unlocked the main door of the warehouse. He ran out into the street and didn't stop running until he had a stitch in his side. He decided enough was enough and intended to hand in his notice at the warehouse in the morning. As his uncle's house was nearer than home, Tony paid him a late visit and told him about the spooky atmosphere which had just been too much for him to take. Stan said something which sent a shiver down his nephew's spine. He said, 'As I was talking to you on the phone, the line went dead, so I waited. I thought something had happened to you. About thirty seconds later, a woman's voice said, "Tony's just run out of here." And she sounded as if she was mentally deranged because she started to laugh hysterically, then she banged the phone down. Who was she?'

'There was no one else on the premises.' Tony replied with a shiver.

A year later, Tony was in a pub, and he got talking to a middle-aged man who said he'd done a stint as a security guard in the warehouse where Tony had worked three years back. The man startled Tony by telling him that he had packed in his job at the Warrington warehouse because one night he had a cat nap, and when he woke up, a sinister-looking woman in a long white gown was standing over him, smiling. Her face was as white as a sheet of paper and her eyes were yellowish with dark rings around them. There was also a disgusting smell like an aroma of decomposing flesh present. Seconds later, the woman cackled and vanished, and the obnoxious odour quickly faded.

The identity of the phantom is a mystery, but it's said that she still walks the warehouse in the dead of night. Perhaps she has some earthly tie with the old morgue that once stood on the site of the warehouse in the 19th century...

Sleep tight............... wink2.gif

Hammy x x x

*passes Cuffy teddy*

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• Cufflink

• Agent_21

• Thistle

scared.gifscared.gifscared.gif

*frightened Cuff clings to teddy and switches light back on*

I bet there's loads of ghosts stories nightwatchmen could tell. I used to listen to Anthony Schaeffer's ghost spot, during the small hours, on a local radio station some years back. Quite a few nightwatchmen used to phone in with their experiences, while on the job, so to speak. The number of these poor souls who must have been sat in a dark, lonely building listening to this stuff! tongue.gif

It's not fun being a scaredy, you know. scared.gif

Yeah, them and nurses!

When I worked at The Albert & Brunswick Dock, some of the Security guards used to come and talk to me and tell me about thier experiences. Now these were huge, tough scousers, scared of nothing and no one - but they grudgingly admitted to experiencing odd things.........

Hammy x x x

*hands fluffy teddy-bear to Thistle*

no idea at all Sarky.......... sounds like she was a nutter doesn't it?

*shudder*

and no missy, no stealing Cuffs' teddy...you have your own.

*passes Sarky large fuzzy bunny*

There's something very poignant about the first case, isn't there? crying.gif

With the second, there is a phenomena known as 'telephone calls fron the dead', as you probably know. scared.gif

With the second, there is a phenomena known as 'telephone calls fron the dead', as you probably know.  scared.gif

I know I might regret this, but do tell, Agent. blink.gif

These telephone calls from the dead...done a bit of research, but only found the one, so far.

A ghostly hotel clerk in a Canadian hotel, waking guests up with early calls.

Now there's a ghost that would trouble Hammy! blink.gif

*sorry Hams...don't kick me too hard...*

A ghostly hotel clerk in a Canadian hotel, waking guests up with early calls.

Now there's a ghost that would trouble Hammy! blink.gif

*sorry Hams...don't kick me too hard...*

Oi!!!!!

dontgetit.gif

Just what are you implying young man? I'll be round to criticize your decor Mr wink2.gif !!

And Poddy!!!!!!!!! My likkle batty friend!!!!!

Lovely to see you again sweet-pea!

grin2.gif

Hammy x x x

(Holding own teddy bear) Well so much for my sleep eh Mr.Zombie?

Mr.Zombie:Muhhhhhhh......Braiiiiiiins!

MK:Ha ha! good one Mr.Zombie!!

(By the way expect to see more of Mr.Zombie)

Just what are you implying young man? I'll be round to criticize your decor Mr  wink2.gif !!

Ooh, get her. tongue.gif

You try, and I'll scratch your eyes out. wink2.gif

*minces away*

You don't scare me Cuffy...........not in the slightest!!!!

*growls*

tongue.gif

Hammy x x x

You don't scare me Cuffy...........not in the slightest!!!!

*growls*

Do hamsters growl? huh.gif

I thought they chuntered...

*chuter chunter chunter*