Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Israel a no-show at U.N. human rights review

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

"This is a rather unique step which has never happened in the past," said German U.N. Ambassador Hanns Heinrich Schumacher.

But after a debate, the council unanimously agreed to defer the review until its next session in October and November at the latest. It could also take it up earlier.

Henczel said the compromise would set a precedent for "how to deal with all cases of non-cooperation" in the future.

All U.N. nations are required to submit to Human Rights Council review every four years. The council's spokesman, Rolando Gomez, said once previously Haiti did not appear for its review but provided a reason.

U.S. diplomats have said the council is too focused on Israel. Israel, meanwhile, said last year that it would stop cooperating with the council because of its plans for a fact-finding mission on Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

http://www.usatoday.... - Top Stories)

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,031 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

How dare North Korea disobey the UN, they sh... Oh, Israel, this is alright then. No problem here. Move along. Nothing to see here. Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain. -sarcasm-

Let's sanction'em.

Edited by Hasina, 29 January 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,623 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Would this be the same human rights council headed by Iran, Syria or Sudan?  Bit of a joke, no?  The bit about refusing to cooperate on the settlement issue is self serving I admit but what is the point?  No real value in a Kangaroo court and it's just a national exercise of what Americans call the fifth amendment.  Why should the Israelis be forced to help create a report that totally condemns their every move?  Kudos to Israel - and Hasina, the sanctions are coming I'm sure.  It will be interesting to see who upholds them and who breaks them :)

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#4    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• To deny another man's humanity is to deny your own.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

They're God's people, they only have to answer to Him...

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN, 30 January 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

View Postand then, on 29 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Would this be the same human rights council headed by Iran, Syria or Sudan?

No, It would be this Human Rights Council.

The members of the General Assembly elect the members who occupy the UNHRC's forty-seven seats. The General Assembly takes into account the candidate States’ contribution to the promotion and protection of human rights, as well as their voluntary pledges and commitments in this regard. The term of each seat is three years, and no member may occupy a seat for more than two consecutive terms. The seats are distributed among the UN's regional groups as follows: 13 for Africa, 13 for Asia, six for Eastern Europe, eight for Latin America and the Caribbean (GRULAC), and seven for the Western European and Others Group (WEOG). The previous CHR had a membership of 53 elected by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) through a majority of those present and voting.

http://en.wikipedia...._Rights_Council

List of members  
http://en.wikipedia....on_Human_Rights

View Postand then, on 29 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

, the sanctions are coming I'm sure.  
I´m sure more sanctions are coming for the Palestinians too! :rofl:

G.Clinton

#6    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Israel is a failed State.  They only exist through violence.  It's no wonder they avoid criticism.  They're guilty and they know it.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

I´m sure more sanctions are coming for the Palestinians too!

Someone throw a rock again ? Dent a tank parked at the checkpoint ? Yeah lets take away there food and medicine.

http://samimajed.fil...07/02/faris.jpg

#8    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postacidhead, on 30 January 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Israel is a failed State.  They only exist through violence.  It's no wonder they avoid criticism.  They're guilty and they know it.
Meh...cry me a river - if it grieves the world so much then why are the Palis having to BEG for a few hundred million to survive?  They have every Muslim state from Algeria to Jordan, Saudi Arabia to Syria imploring the world on their behalf but barely give them scraps to survive, and why?  So they can blame Israel - that "failed state" that has blossomed and created a democracy, multiple scientific advances and a thriving economy in what had been a cesspool while the Muslims squatted on it.  I will agree with you on the one point though - were it not for violence Israel wouldn't exist because those wonderful folk that everyone here are so sympathetic to would create a bloodbath and kill or deport every man, woman and baby.  If you are going to deny it then maybe you'd better redirect the world's attention from what they are doing TO EACH OTHER in Syria just now.

#10    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

View Postand then, on 30 January 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Meh...cry me a river - if it grieves the world so much then why are the Palis having to BEG for a few hundred million to survive?  They have every Muslim state from Algeria to Jordan, Saudi Arabia to Syria imploring the world on their behalf but barely give them scraps to survive, and why?  So they can blame Israel - that "failed state" that has blossomed and created a democracy, multiple scientific advances and a thriving economy in what had been a cesspool while the Muslims squatted on it.  I will agree with you on the one point though - were it not for violence Israel wouldn't exist because those wonderful folk that everyone here are so sympathetic to would create a bloodbath and kill or deport every man, woman and baby.  If you are going to deny it then maybe you'd better redirect the world's attention from what they are doing TO EACH OTHER in Syria just now.

Tís true. If Palestine had a sugar daddy like Israel has had lo these many years, they would be in a much better position now. The huge sums of money that the US have given Israel in conjunction with their abusive use of veto power at the UN despite the wishes of the overwheming majority of countries has been the major factor in causing the present day situation.

Check out this list of the number of vetoes by the  US of UN resolutions against Israel. I would paste them but there are just too damn many.

http://www.jewishvir.../usvetoes.html.

G.Clinton

#11    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,361 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postand then, on 30 January 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

This presumption that because people share a common characteristic they should therefore take care of each other is inherently bigoted.  So white people should take care of other people because they're white.  Christian people should make sure that there aren't any Christians out there living in poverty or hungry?   Please.   That's so Zionist and gross.   How about we all just learn how to respect our common humanity regardless of what color skin, ethnicity, religion or shoe size we are?  I've been saying this for years here and apparently it still hasn't resonated with you yet.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostYamato, on 30 January 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

This presumption that because people share a common characteristic they should therefore take care of each other is inherently bigoted.  So white people should take care of other people because they're white.  Christian people should make sure that there aren't any Christians out there living in poverty or hungry?   Please.   That's so Zionist and gross.   How about we all just learn how to respect our common humanity regardless of what color skin, ethnicity, religion or shoe size we are?  I've been saying this for years here and apparently it still hasn't resonated with you yet.
Ever hear of "Arab" unity or Muslim brotherhood?  They use such terms themselves frequently.  Empty rhetoric I guess but it sure sounds fine doesn't it?  Especially when they are using it in diatribes against Israel.  The best part of all is that if by some magic Israel could be defeated and removed from their midst, a war would begin between her neighbors over the land and the Palestinians still would get nothing.  You gotta love it.  I wonder what the UN would do in that case.....

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,361 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postand then, on 30 January 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Ever hear of "Arab" unity or Muslim brotherhood?  They use such terms themselves frequently.  Empty rhetoric I guess but it sure sounds fine doesn't it?  Especially when they are using it in diatribes against Israel.  The best part of all is that if by some magic Israel could be defeated and removed from their midst, a war would begin between her neighbors over the land and the Palestinians still would get nothing.  You gotta love it.  I wonder what the UN would do in that case.....
What terms "they" use doesn't excuse you for presuming bigotry upon them as if it's expected or a good thing.   You'd be scrambling up a stolen olive tree in five minutes after the Muslim Brotherhood suddenly started paying a great deal of attention to their Palestinian neighbors.  Stop asking for things you don't have the first shred of interest in receiving.   Disingenuous.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#14    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,931 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Bad move by Israel. If everyone needs to do this then there's no reason for them not to attend. And if there is a reason they should give one.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Bad move by Israel. If everyone needs to do this then there's no reason for them not to attend. And if there is a reason they should give one.

Kinda like making a  date with your SO. Then not showing up. Theres gonna be heck to pay when you get home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users