Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
687 replies to this topic

#121    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

A little touch here and there of reality, and maybe some humility and a little sense, would help.  If there are inconsistencies and lies and unexplained aspects of a story, so what?  Does that mean that the whole story is false or only that there are inconsistencies and lies and unexplained aspects?

I think as a practical matter the really egregious errors and misdeeds of officials tend to come out, by their very nature.  Someone somewhere may "get away" with something, perhaps for the best because whatever they did needed doing.

When one hears a particularly striking CS, ask yourself, what ax is being ground by the purveyors of this theory?  Is it part of their opposition to something, or partisanship, or a genuine seeking for truth?

#122    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Every reasonable person knows there are conspiracies. What irks me is:

1. the way some people treat EVERYTHING as a conspiracy;

2. how some people (normally people who fall into the first group) refuse to apply a little bit of reasoning, logic and common sense when evaluating their opinions regarding if something is a conspiracy; and

3. how the actions of groups 1 and 2 bring so much discredit and lunacy that REAL conspiracies get lost in the noise (AKA 'boy who cried wolf').

Edited by Obviousman, 15 May 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#123    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostKludge808, on 15 May 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

Hey, Sky ... been a while!

I would never deny deceptions - including conspiracies - are employed by any level of government.  You and I both know they are a simple part of doing business for them.  They're also often an essential part when the benefits outweigh the risks.  However, as I continually say, the government doesn't always lie and not everything is a deception or conspiracy.  Some things simply are what they appear to be and they can be pretty bizarre at times.

I'm glad you would never deny deceptions.  As we both know, deception is an essential part of military strategy and tactics, as well it should be.  Deceive the enemy so that success in battle might be achieved.

The trouble is that so many people who can make an intellectually honest statement like yours about not denying deception, have a tough time actually recognizing deceptions.  Some folks cannot perceive deception, even while they acknowledge that deception is a common tactic.

And IMO, that's where cognitive dissonance comes into play.  The question then becomes, is any given person actually unable to perceive a particular deception, or is he just kidding himself that there was no deception?

#124    Orkid

Orkid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I always remember what my teacher used to say... 'Dont stick with what I tell you.. go out and find out for yourself'. :geek:

I guess this has something to do with it, people sometimes don't stick to what the "x" tells us... they nn to find out for themselves and sometimes, it turns out that they were right about having that "gut feeling". :su

#125    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,323 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 May 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

A little touch here and there of reality, and maybe some humility and a little sense, would help.  If there are inconsistencies and lies and unexplained aspects of a story, so what?  Does that mean that the whole story is false or only that there are inconsistencies and lies and unexplained aspects?

I think as a practical matter the really egregious errors and misdeeds of officials tend to come out, by their very nature.  Someone somewhere may "get away" with something, perhaps for the best because whatever they did needed doing.

When one hears a particularly striking CS, ask yourself, what ax is being ground by the purveyors of this theory?  Is it part of their opposition to something, or partisanship, or a genuine seeking for truth?

"We're from the government, and we're here to help you." What could possibly go wrong?

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#126    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 15 May 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

I haven't bothered following all the interminable threads on those subjects, but what, then, is your opinion about those? Were they (all together now) False Flags, then, to give Obama and/or the NWO an excuse to Take Away America's Guns, or is there some new theory?
Well I felt all along the mass shootings were all geared to get guns out of our hands.
I didn't not get the marathon . What purpose could such a false flag serve. I didn't even question,despite some odd inaccuracies involving the brothers alleged actions . I just didn't see a why to doing such a thing,and I assumed it was all real , until I saw the photo op guy in the wheelchair .
I'm not even going to go into why so much of the pix are wrong ,but that,was nothing more than a photo op .
And I looked up Boston's ems protocols . They weren't followed at all . Possible bombs or not .
Now every time we look around ,another bomb story . Never saw so many bomb stories in my life .
I think its to start legislation about now controlling gun powder and bomb making parts .
No guns,no way to make bombs ....we are back to wooden spears and sling shots

Miss me?

#127    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 16 May 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

"We're from the government, and we're here to help you." What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing at all... The government has a flawless record of never screwing anything up, never lying, never doing anything illegal, and most certainly never plotting against it's citizens... ;)

Hmm disarm citizens.. That's a common robbery practice...

"This is a stick up, nobody move, faces down!"
"Alright, I want all weapons on the floor and pushed towards me"
^ Usually leads to small hostage situations.

One of the best hostage situations ever is.. Cuba..

"Weapons, What for?! The government and the military will protect you!"
^Shortly after that speech, the entire country was held hostage... And remains hostage even today. lol

We the people have not be given proper reason to be suspicious of the government.. Not at all, it's not like our leaders are trying to push the same speech on us or anything.. ;)

I'm going to ask a question, because speaking out and analyzing the problems is as resolved, and I'm willing to do whatever is within reach of my hand to solve them must be resolved as: with reason and intelligence, and the influence of public opinion, which is the boss, not hard, because if you were to believe in the force, which had to be resolved by force, there would have to talk to the people, or to put to this problem, but go search for these weapons (applause).
And what to look for here is that the revolutionary fighters, idealistic men who can be fooled with this maneuver, forsake the false libertarians who are in that position and come to take the side of the people, which is where they have to serve rather than nothing.
I am going to ask a question: Weapons for?, Why fight whom?, Against the revolutionary government, which has the support of all the people? (Shouts of "No!") Is it the same ruling Judge Urrutia Batista Republic ruling the Republic? (Shouts of "No!") Weapons for, what, no dictatorship here? (Shouts of "No!") Going to fight against a free government that respects the rights of the people? (Shouts of "No!"), Now that there is no censorship, and that the press is entirely free, freer than it has ever been, and has also assured that it will continue for ever, without have censorship here again? (Applause)? Today, that all people can meet freely?,? Today that no torture or political prisoners, nor murders, nor terror?,? Today that there is only joy, that all leaders are traitors been dismissed in the unions, and to be immediately convene union elections at all? (Applause) When all citizens' rights have been restored, when you go to call an election in the shortest period of time possible, is weapons, for, what, hide weapons, why? Why blackmail the President?, Why threaten to break the peace here?, Why create organizations gangsters? Are we going to return to gangsterism, is it that we will return to daily shooting on the streets of the capital? Weapons?, Why?
But I tell you that two days ago were elements of a given organization headquarters, who was the San Antonio headquarters, barracks which was under the jurisdiction of the commander Camilo Cienfuegos and under the jurisdiction of mine, as Commander in Chief of all forces , and weapons that were gathered there took them, took 500 guns and six machine guns and 80,000 bullets (shouts of "To look for").
Original Transcripts Courtesy: http://www.cuba.cu/g...p/f080159e.html
Translations Courtesy: http://translate.google.com

Same exact logic as: Banning assault rifles, because we seemingly don't need them, our police will protect us and our liberties...

Edited by xFelix, 16 May 2013 - 03:26 AM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#128    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,307 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

You gotta hand it to Castro though ... he is Orator first class ... if back in Rome the senate would have made him dictator and given him a shiny new crown ...

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#129    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,542 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

So are people going to obssessively push this absurd Obama/Castro analogy everywhere they possibly can now?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#130    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I sure hope not.  By the way, because I don't speak Spanish I haven't done more than read his speeches, and I found them long.  His delivery appears hysterical, but then that is not uncommon when one doesn't know what is being said.

#131    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,307 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Frank ... I think you're mistaking Little Fidel with Little Adolf .... either that or you think that the Cubans are too stupid to tie their own shoe laces after knowing what know about WW2 and Nazism

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#132    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,542 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Perhaps one thing ol' Fidel does demonstrate very eloquently is just how effective the U.S.'s Sanctions are, if someone doesn't try to push their luck with bluster like Saddam. They've been steadfastly pretending that there's no such place as Cuba (apart, obviously, from the small corner that the U.S. uses for its Concentration Camp) since 1959, confident that if they pretend there's no such place long enough, then the Communist regime in Cuba will be overthrown.
We're still waiting .... :innocent:
:blush:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#133    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't think US sanctions have had much effect one way or the other except for giving Castro an excuse for the failures of the Cuban economy.   It shows to me the importance, if one is to have a one-party state, of having term limits or, at a minimum, a mandatory retirement age.

I think in the States Castro is a bogeyman for right-wingers to attack the Left with and Hitler serves the same role for left-wingers to attack the Right.

#134    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

With maybe the exception of a few African states where coups are still possible, if a dictator is determined enough and smart enough, he cannot be overthrown except by external intervention.  The levers of power and available technology nowadays are such that it should not be expected to happen otherwise.

#135    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 May 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Perhaps one thing ol' Fidel does demonstrate very eloquently is just how effective the U.S.'s Sanctions are, if someone doesn't try to push their luck with bluster like Saddam. They've been steadfastly pretending that there's no such place as Cuba (apart, obviously, from the small corner that the U.S. uses for its Concentration Camp) since 1959, confident that if they pretend there's no such place long enough, then the Communist regime in Cuba will be overthrown.
We're still waiting .... :innocent:
:blush:

You cannot overthrow a government that is well armed and equipped, by way of unarmed citizens. Whoever believes such to be possible is either really blurring the line between stupidity and retardation, or just plain does not care about whatever may happen.

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 May 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

So are people going to obssessively push this absurd Obama/Castro analogy everywhere they possibly can now?
The only absurd thing is when you realize that analogy is based on facts.. Unless you would like to show us how facts are absurd? ;)

Yes, I did use Fidel twice, even in two separate threads. This is because I find our current politics pushing more and more extreme in either direction without remembering that there is a line that must not be crossed. In our more recent political ventures we seem to be pulling more towards declaring civil war rather than just agreeing that we must compromise for the good of the people. The media constantly depicts how religious fanatics "radicalize" and then go on to commit horrible crimes against humanity, but what they are not depicting is how our political leaders are also radicalizing their views in two separate directions, and are becoming completely unwilling to submit to bipartisan resolution on most agendas.

This radicalization is just making the lives of the common people a living hell.

Edited by xFelix, 16 May 2013 - 09:46 AM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users