Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

huge black dog

SpiritWriter

When I was 11 or 12, I was walking down the street in my old neighborhood (the same neighborhood I saw many ghosts in) and to my great astonishment I saw a very large black dog sitting in the yard of someones house. The fence that surrounded the yard seemed very useless to this creature. I was scared but at the same time amazed at his incredible size! He was easily 10 feet tall (sitting) and also very broad across the shoulders. He was only in that yard that one time. I kept going back, purposly taking that route to see if I would ever see him again but I never did... do you think this could have been a cryptoid or demon dog or any other "unexplained" type of thing?

Hounds of Hell !

Did anyone close to you die just after that ?

Hounds of Hell !

Did anyone close to you die just after that ?

No as a matter of fact no one close to me died until I was in my 20s. And then in one year like 23 people I knew died. But I do think this was around the time the spirits came into my life and started following me...

I've seen pretty much the same.. I was walking around midnight once, like I used to everynight, and I saw this large black dog just sitting still in someone's yard on the corner. I kept walking, calmly(because I got no negative feelings from it; it just seemed curious, watchful) and when I looked back a second later it was gone.

• Like 1

Who's to say it wasn't a Rottweiler that was given growth hormones.

Edited by Medium Brown

Maybe since we expect a large animal in a yard to be a dog, that is what you "saw" a very large dog that was actually a bear ? It would look wide and large for a dog, and your imagination tricked you on height. We used to get black bears in people's yards (urban) a couple states we've lived in.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

I'd say since there are no known species of dogs that are 10 feet tall while sitting, that you imagined it? Or perhaps it was this legendary dog, and the night made his fur look a different color......

post-124811-0-39024800-1358363634_thumb.

• Like 1

I've seen pretty much the same.. I was walking around midnight once, like I used to everynight, and I saw this large black dog just sitting still in someone's yard on the corner. I kept walking, calmly(because I got no negative feelings from it; it just seemed curious, watchful) and when I looked back a second later it was gone.

Thanks... I was wondering if it was a common occurance. I used to think these bizarre things were so unique to only me but now I am starting to realize that a lot of people experience similar phenomenon .. so if already me and you have ecperienced this and this post has only been up for an hour.. there must be more occurances of similar nature in the world... thanks for sharing. :)

Probably a bear like another post said. Because dog fits what should be there your mind interprets it as big dog rather than bear.it's a fact that memory isn't infallible and very open to interpretation. You may have seen it, your brain said what was that but didn't have a definitive answer so in the following moments your mind creates something, in this case a massive dog. If you'd seen it more clearly giant dog wouldn't be what it was I don't think.

Probably a bear like another post said. Because dog fits what should be there your mind interprets it as big dog rather than bear.it's a fact that memory isn't infallible and very open to interpretation. You may have seen it, your brain said what was that but didn't have a definitive answer so in the following moments your mind creates something, in this case a massive dog. If you'd seen it more clearly giant dog wouldn't be what it was I don't think.

I actually saw it very clearly. I already know what bears look like so my mind wouldn't have to had to replace an image of a bear with a dog. This was in seattle so the bear theory is highly improbable unless it was very tame and came from the zoo... but that wouldn't explain why it looked like a DOG and not a bear... The clifford story is more reasonable lol.... :D

And far as the memory is conserned ive been remembering this ever since it happened.. I didnt one day start remembering it.

Edited by SpiritWriter

I actually saw it very clearly. I already know what bears look like so my mind wouldn't have to had to replace an image of a bear with a dog. This was in seattle so the bear theory is highly improbable unless it was very tame and came from the zoo... but that wouldn't explain why it looked like a DOG and not a bear... The clifford story is more reasonable lol.... :D

And far as the memory is conserned ive been remembering this ever since it happened.. I didnt one day start remembering it.

ah I see. Seattle is relatively bear free as far as I remember lol. What I'm getting at with the memory thing is that a giant dog is extremely unlikely but as far as your mind sees that's what is closest fit. As I say it's well proven by people far smarter than me that memory is very rarely accurate even for very mundane things. Your brain fills in gaps and makes it seem like a real memory 100s of times a day. Most of the time it goes unnoticed but on occasion it becomes something worth remembering even if it never actually happened. It's just that 10ft dogs, I'm pretty sure, don't exist and if they did probably wouldn't go relatively unnoticed in someone yard regardless of time of day. So it must be something normal remembered differently or giving an illusion of something more sensational than it is. Normal dog silhouetted by a light maybe, I dunno but there IS a real world explanation somewhere.

ah I see. Seattle is relatively bear free as far as I remember lol. What I'm getting at with the memory thing is that a giant dog is extremely unlikely but as far as your mind sees that's what is closest fit. As I say it's well proven by people far smarter than me that memory is very rarely accurate even for very mundane things. Your brain fills in gaps and makes it seem like a real memory 100s of times a day. Most of the time it goes unnoticed but on occasion it becomes something worth remembering even if it never actually happened. It's just that 10ft dogs, I'm pretty sure, don't exist and if they did probably wouldn't go relatively unnoticed in someone yard regardless of time of day. So it must be something normal remembered differently or giving an illusion of something more sensational than it is. Normal dog silhouetted by a light maybe, I dunno but there IS a real world explanation somewhere.

Thats why I think it was paranormal.. your right 10 ft dogs dont exist and if these guys had one it probably would have been in thier yard for longer than a day and also talked about throughout the neighborhood and also a feature of incredible news for newspapers and tv.... did you know it is a fact that people experience the paranormal and then make up stories about how they didnt see what they actually saw?

I'd guess since you say you see ghosts, that the dog was also a ghost.

The mythical connection to black ghost dogs is that those who see them will soon die, or someone in their family will soon die. But, it could also easily be that something bad was going to happen to the people living in those houses.

It could very well be that you did not even see the dog, but had a premonition, or prophetic vision and it processed in your brain as seeing a black dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Also note that the dog was in no way transparent. It appeared very solid and "real" but I dont discredit "the ghost dog" theory.. I know that apparations can take a very solid form..

I'd guess since you say you see ghosts, that the dog was also a ghost.

The mythical connection to black ghost dogs is that those who see them will soon die, or someone in their family will soon die. But, it could also easily be that something bad was going to happen to the people living in those houses.

It could very well be that you did not even see the dog, but had a premonition, or prophetic vision and it processed in your brain as seeing a black dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)

Also found this... http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art13330.asp

Thank you so much! All this time ive been pondering this thing and it is an actual documented entity... I wonder how I never came across it before, ive even done a few searches, but I guess I didnt try hard enough. Maybe thats a good thing. They don't seem to be too pleasant. Makes me wonder 'why' I saw it...

Edited by SpiritWriter

Actually... there was a misscaraige in my home around this time.. I cant be certain exactly because it was so long ago but perhaps it was that.

And this... black shuck

Says it is a cryptid... omg I would never know about cryptid except for this website. I never heard the term before. Guess I posted in the right forum.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck

I also used to see very small and rapidly moving shadow cats.. some would be white and some would be black. I saw these very frequently.. I wonder if these are documented cryptids too? Let me know anyone out there if you know about them or have seen them. Thanks for your help guys.

did you know it is a fact that people experience the paranormal and then make up stories about how they didnt see what they actually saw?

I don't think this is a fact. For it to be a fact there would have to absolute proof of the paranormal to begin with...there isn't. If there is no proof a rational person would desensationalise and look for a mundane day to day explanation rather than saying it is definitely a ghost or whatever because it almost definitely is not. If you want people to tell you it's black shuck or whatever then say so. But we're not all just going to agree with that assessment because it is highly unlikely. Too many rational minds here for it to be that easy I'm afraid.

I don't think this is a fact. For it to be a fact there would have to absolute proof of the paranormal to begin with...there isn't. If there is no proof a rational person would desensationalise and look for a mundane day to day explanation rather than saying it is definitely a ghost or whatever because it almost definitely is not. If you want people to tell you it's black shuck or whatever then say so. But we're not all just going to agree with that assessment because it is highly unlikely. Too many rational minds here for it to be that easy I'm afraid.

There is absolute proof... a lot of it too.

There is absolute proof... a lot of it too.

I think at this point we should agree to disagree. I don't have the time to get into another 'what constitutes proof' discussion. I hope you find whatever answer your looking for. Edited by fatbadger2
  • Like 1

I think at this point we should agree to disagree. I don't have the time to get into another 'what constitutes proof' discussion. I hope you find whatever answer your looking for.

Lol I wondered what you were gonna say to that. Good call!

*hand shakes*

Actually... there was a misscaraige in my home around this time.. I cant be certain exactly because it was so long ago but perhaps it was that.

It is possible, even people who don't believe in the Paranormal will confess it is possible that somewhere you heard something about the black dog and then subcontiously made yourself see it after the traumatizing event. There is little chance you can make them believe you saw it Before.... Or that it was real....

Being a Christian, I do believe in prophetic incidents... visions, words, sounds.... and this could easily fall into such a catagory.

• Like 1

It is possible, even people who don't believe in the Paranormal will confess it is possible that somewhere you heard something about the black dog and then subcontiously made yourself see it after the traumatizing event. There is little chance you can make them believe you saw it Before.... Or that it was real....

Being a Christian, I do believe in prophetic incidents... visions, words, sounds.... and this could easily fall into such a catagory.

Yeah I believe if you see it then youve seen it. All this subconcious thought stuff I think is just those who never experienced it or lie to themselves so they dont have to face what theyve seen... my brother saw an army of dead soldiers walking down the street but says it is just chemicals in his head that made him see it. I dont agree. I saw the ghost of someone I knew the morning after they died (she appeared solid) before I even knew she was dead... I know my subconcious mind couldn't do that... so looking at the larger picture I have to believe what I saw was real AND others have seen the same thing.. thanks for your reply, I believe in these things too.

Who's to say it wasn't a Rottweiler that was given growth hormones.

I once thought I saw an enourmous dog in my backyard, when I called to my mother to come look & we both peeked out the window, it was totally a black bear. Had it not been for the second glance, I believe up until this day I would swear up & down it was some kind of canine, very valid point you have there. Not to discredit any possibilities, just saying.

• Like 1

Three years ago I had a bear walk through my yard at roughly 2 am, I was stone cold sober just getting home from work and pulled into the drive and there is a big black something standing in the drive. then it looked at me. and it was a black bear. I live in north seattle and the same week i saw the bear there was one spotted in ballard and another spotted in shoreline. I am NOT saying that is what you saw, black bears do not stand ten feet tall even when standing on their back legs ( more like seven to eight feet) , but yes we do see bears in the Seattle city limits from time to time. all the various bear sightings During That week were on TV news constantly ( During the proper seasons I Hunt Black Bears, so yes i know what they look like.) Back when i was a kid 35 to 40 years ago i would see some big canines wandering the streets in the early morning hours when i delivered papers Here in Seattle. there was this one ( sort of friendly) rottweiler who would walk up to me every morning sniff me then walk away. granted i was not quite 5' tall at the time but it could look me in the eyes. once i started bringing dog treats It accepted them without harming me. it never made a sound and i never figured out where it lived.

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1