Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Death-defying self-portraits

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

It's an understatement to say photographer Kerry Skarbakka puts himself in perilous situations. He leaps from great heights--often a cliff or ledge--and then clicks the shutter. He photographs himself falling in a series titled The Struggle to Right Oneself. Using a clever combination of daredevil imagination, martial arts, and some rigging gear, Skarbakka captures that proverbial 'point of no return,' the space in between an action or an event, of scary mid-air suspension. The concept behind the work originated as a way for Skarbakka to deal with the loss of his mother to brain cancer and then to the events of Sept 11. "I was dealing with issues of control and the sense of loss of control...and how I could realize this project through the act of giving up control and falling, flying, dreaming and levitating."

10 Picture Gallery

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Ciss

Ciss

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

YIKS!

#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Great photos but the dude as a serious problem LOL

#4    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,302 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

The slip in the shower was hysterical. :w00t: :lol:

Posted Image

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostEllJay, on 30 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

The slip in the shower was hysterical. :w00t: :lol:

Posted Image

That is my worst nightmare.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Dang. I'll keep my feet on the ground.

#7    BNDGK

BNDGK

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

• "The world was hers for the reading"

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Aw man! The ladder one! He had to have fallen on it! :blink:

“Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I, Shall take the hidden paths that run,
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.”

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,323 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

How can he click the shutter when in those positions? Great, although a some what depressing set of pics, but i just can`t figure out how he can click, unless he has set it up to remote control? but it says he jumps then clicks the shutter, theres nothing in his hands.
If the camera is set up then his timing has to be absolutely perfect.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Does anyone else think some of these shots look "shopped"?  There are wireless remotes for cameras, granted, but there are several shots where clearly there is nothing in the subject's hands at all.  I agree that they are interesting shots in a sort of dark way.  I am just not sure if I totally buy their authenticity.  But thats just me.

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 30 January 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Does anyone else think some of these shots look "shopped"?  There are wireless remotes for cameras, granted, but there are several shots where clearly there is nothing in the subject's hands at all.  I agree that they are interesting shots in a sort of dark way.  I am just not sure if I totally buy their authenticity.  But thats just me.

Right. There are several possibilities:

- "shopped" as you mentioned.

- Wireless remote camera.

- Someone else taking the pics.

- A digital movie mode on the stand-alone camera upon which he went through the frames on a computer and chose a pic.

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

From the article:

"Using a clever combination of daredevil imagination, martial arts, and some rigging gear, Skarbakka captures that proverbial 'point of no return..."

#12    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

View Postpallidin, on 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

From the article:

"Using a clever combination of daredevil imagination, martial arts, and some rigging gear, Skarbakka captures that proverbial 'point of no return..."

I wonder if thats where the photo-manipulation comes in....to edit out evidence of the rigging gear.

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 30 January 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I wonder if thats where the photo-manipulation comes in....to edit out evidence of the rigging gear.

Certainly possible. Good call.
Wouldn't be hard to do at all.

#14    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

If there is one thing this site has taught me a lot about, it would be the reality most photos can't be taken at face value.  There's usually something else going on.

#15    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,722 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think they're great. I have a feeling that he might be setting up some of the shots and getting someone else to click the shutter.  I mean even with the ropes and other rigging gear you'd think there would be someone else with him anyway helping somehow, if not just only to witness that nothing goes wrong. (safety wise)
If the photoshopping is only hiding a clamp or rope, then whatever. It's not really a big deal.  I mean what isn't shopped or manipulated in some form these days? Especially in competitive/commercial/art photography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users