Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

9 year old unexplained dream

JessicaMarie92

When I was 14 (now 23) I dreamt the same dream for more then a week. I have tried to find where I can get an answer to what it means, but with no luck.

The dream:

I open my eyes and I'm in a white, bright place with no highs and no lows in the ground. The sun is right above me and my shadown right under me. In the distance I can see a dark figure. I get curious and walks towards it, but wakes up.

The next night I dream the same dream, though this time the dark figure is a bit closer. And I wake up every time I start to walk towards it.

Each dream is the same except I get closer to the dark figure each time.

The last dream with this dark figure, I open my eyes. A black, dead tree is on my left side and the dark figure (who I now see is a young man) is on my right side. I can't see his face because it's blurry, but I feel safe with him. Like I knew him. He reaches his hand out to me and we walk of to a cliff where we stand and look down. After that I wake up. That was the first and only time I dreamt that kind of dream and it's been stuck in my head since and I want help to know what it means.

Edited by JessicaMarie92
  • Like 1

Why does it have to mean anything?

Because to me it means something. It's not usual to dream the same dream every night for several days.

• Like 1

When I was 14 (now 23) I dreamt the same dream for more then a week. I have tried to find where I can get an answer to what it means, but with no luck.

The dream:

I open my eyes and I'm in a white, bright place with no highs and no lows in the ground. The sun is right above me and my shadown right under me. In the distance I can see a dark figure. I get curious and walks towards it, but wakes up.

The next night I dream the same dream, though this time the dark figure is a bit closer. And I wake up every time I start to walk towards it.

The last dream with this dark figure, I open my eyes. A black, dead tree is on my left side and the dark figure (who I now see is a young man) is on my right side. I can't see his face because it's blurry, but I feel safe with him. Like I knew him. He reaches his hand out to me and we walk of to a cliff where we stand and look down. After that I wake up. That was the first and only time I dreamt that kind of dream and it's been stuck in my head since and I want help to know what it means.

hi JessicalMarrie [welcome]

I don't know why we dream what we dream ... but they can be disturbing. I've had some Reoccuring dreams in the past too... and wondered why they REoccured. I've had some that seem to pick up where they left off, like a mini series .

I was interested in your dreams and how they evolved . When I was a child I dreamt I was chased by a pack of dogs to a cliff, I fell off the cliff into water and I drowned . I had the same dream as a teenager and the second time I dreamt the dogs chased me to a cliff, I fell off the cliff into water, but this time I opened my eyes and my hands were trying to cling onto rock but all it was doing was cutting my hands and I could see the water turning red as I drowned . I still don't know what this dream meant but it has stayed with me all my life and I may never know what it means , if it means anything . I stopped worrying what it meant a long time ago, but I will always remember this dream, as well as other dreams I have had that I could not tell if I dreamt it or experienced it . Fascinating stuff and it makes me wonder what the ancients thought of dreams . x

• Like 1

I was interested in your dreams and how they evolved . When I was a child I dreamt I was chased by a pack of dogs to a cliff, I fell off the cliff into water and I drowned . I had the same dream as a teenager and the second time I dreamt the dogs chased me to a cliff, I fell off the cliff into water, but this time I opened my eyes and my hands were trying to cling onto rock but all it was doing was cutting my hands and I could see the water turning red as I drowned . I still don't know what this dream meant but it has stayed with me all my life and I may never know what it means , if it means anything . I stopped worrying what it meant a long time ago, but I will always remember this dream, as well as other dreams I have had that I could not tell if I dreamt it or experienced it . Fascinating stuff and it makes me wonder what the ancients thought of dreams . x

Could your dream be a reflection of a past life perhaps?

Jessica Marie

Welcome aboard!

Disclaimer: I don't interpret other people's dreams, but some dream motifs and characters are dreamt by many people, and I sometimes recognize those motifs and characters. I can tell you what several of the people who have dreamt dreams like yours have thought about their dreams, but only you can decide whether that has anything to do with your personal dream.

Well dreamt. Anything you're still thinking about after nine years reliably means something. If you're not already familiar with the term "big dream," then you might want to googlebing jung "big dream" for a quick orientation.

The "serial" quality of your dream is a nice touch, but just for discussion, let's say that that was to help make the expereince more memorable for you, and I'll put that aspect to one side. As you think about the overall dream, though, you may see more to that aspect. But for now, I'll just talk about the sequence as if it were one dream, as if it went like this:

(synthetic from the pieces of the dream) I open my eyes and I'm in a white, bright place with no highs and no lows in the ground. The sun is right above me and my shadown right under me. In the distance I can see a dark figure. I get curious and walk towards it. (When I get there, a) black, dead tree is on my left side and the dark figure (who I now see is a young man) is on my right side. I can't see his face because it's blurry, but I feel safe with him. Like I knew him. He reaches his hand out to me and we walk of to a cliff where we stand and look down. After that I wake up.

What did you see when you looked down? If it wasn't in the dream, then (if you feel like it) answer now. (If you don;t want to answer here, then answer just to yourself.)

Anyway if you want to work out the dream, the opening setting sounds like a common dreamscape motif called the waste land (sometimes just one principal word, the wasteland), and it's searchable. The gentleman is a dark animus (I'm assuming from your username that you are a woman; anyway, animus is searchable, just look for the dream character of that name as opposed to the projection onto an actual living man - the dream character is good; the projection is a disaster).

Given that you were 14 at the time, it is just about irresistable to think that that dead tree is your childhood which was by then recently over and which, in the dream, you are now walking away from. Since the animus dream character is a helpful figure, you are being reassured that you have internal resources for the transition into adulthood.

On the other hand, "big dreams" are generally about more than the occasion which summons them. You've been an adult for a while now, but what the animus represents hasn't gone away, and it's a fair bet you've still got challenges. For many people, the unconscious is a scary place, and hard to trust... there are a lot of "black dead trees" down there, not just that one.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Ozfactor

What do you suppose the third dream in that sequence is? Don't wait to dream it, think about it.

Welcome to UM JessicaMarie92! 353b7u1.jpg

Thank you for sharing your dream :) I'm not expert or anything but it could possibly be your *spirit guide* ? Just a thought. :)

Here's info on that - Spirit Guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_guide

Doesn't sound like anything scary or unpleasant. Actually sounds more positive :yes:

• Like 1

The dream:

I've had similar experiences with dreams. A classical interpretation)sp?) of Jungian psychology would say that the dark figure is your 'shadow',( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29) and each time you had the dream you are getting close to him by beginning to integrate you with your 'shadow' self. The dead tree in the last dream would represent the death of the shadow self and almost full integration(boy with the blurry face) by coming to terms with that part of yourself which you had been surpressing and denying.

Just one theory out many.

That dream seems to be about sex. The sun is high, denoting it is "high time" you ventured toward this dark, but compelling unexplored feature on a landscape that is otherwise monotonous. The progressive nature of the dreams suggest you are incrementally, cautiously exploring this object of fascination. The dream suggests you can go to the brink, and be comfortable about it, only with someone you trust. The man is on your right, suggesting this is the "right" way to proceed. The black, dead tree is a bleak reminder of what the alternatives are, to the trustworthy individual that you know, to be happily venturing confidently to this edge.

She-Ra

What people call "spirit guides" seem to be the "friendlier" archetypal advisor figures, like the wise elders or the souls (animus or anima). Uncle Carl managed to find himself a full-fledged spirit guide, Philemon, an outright "guardian angel," by working up from a wise old man with an anima companion.

If you do adopt the vocabulary of spirit guidance, then maybe the trick is to see that Ozfactor's dogs ought to be called spirit guides, too.

I had a dream somewhat similar to that and also when I was 14. (Perhaps the intensity of these dreams has something to do with our age and puberty?)