Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Piercings and Tattoos Against God?

harley.quinn

Are piercings and tattoos against god? Does it depend on what tattoo or piercing you have to be bad or good?

Back in the days of JC and all other prophets and messiahs, every men women and child were pierced and anyone with money was tatooed. What did change in 2000 years to make it against god?

• Like 3

I suppose the whole "false idols" issue might affect some tattoos BUT, what a particular design is to someone is their own personal perception - no one gets to decide it's a "false idol" if there's a skull or devil depicted for instance as it just may not mean anything remotely like that to the person wearing it. It's about where your heads at, not the tatts and piercings, those are just "stuff".

• Like 2

if we go bqck to Fred Phelps' favourite book - Leviticus - then yes, havig tats is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord.

God has a gigantic tattoo of Greta Garbo on his left bicept,and leopard paw prints on his right pec muscle .

Jesus has a little red devil in an unmentionable spot.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

if we go bqck to Fred Phelps' favourite book - Leviticus - then yes, havig tats is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord.

I wouldn't use Fred Phelps as a reference :P He and his Westboro church are kind of disgrace for all religious people in the world

• Like 3

According to the bible, yes.

http://www.biblebeli...toos/bible.html

Actually that was not interpreted correctly it say you shall not make any cuts in you body for the dead nor make any marks, the misinterpretation came when the didn't take the cut's and the marks to be for the same thing, "the dead". I believe this refers to magic spells concerning channeling or posession. Tatoos for decorative purposes are not included.

Back in the days of JC and all other prophets and messiahs, every men women and child were pierced and anyone with money was tatooed. What did change in 2000 years to make it against god?

Where do you get that from? This is news to me.

I always imagined G-d had his ear pierced.

• Like 1

According to the bible, yes.

http://www.biblebeli...toos/bible.html

Yes but anyone with tattoo's or those who like them.. will find a loophole and claim it doesn't mean all tattoo's lol.. In fact you will likely find some argue over it... Just nod and say - That's nice :D

• Like 1

Well, my body is a temple, but the worshippers are getting hard to find.... ;)

• Like 6

Well, as much as everyone would like to interpret verses that apply to them into things that put them in a good light. Fact is about 94.7% of people have had premarital sex, tattoos, piercings, done drugs, drank acohol excesivly, disobeyed their parents, etc etc. and that statistic came straight from my random key punch so I take that as an omen that it is correct, thats what were doing here, making things apply the way we want right?

With all kidding aside, Jesus loves you. No matter how screwed up you are. But does love constitute automatic forgivness?

A little story.

I once met a bunch of marines at local Irish pub. Bought them some drinks to thank them for their service so we ended up a big group. This one boisterous young man. Really cool kid, started talking to me that his father is a die hard Pentecostal prescher. He told his son that if in the marines he got a tatoo, he would disown him. He was looking very solem when he was telling me this.

I said... But you got one?

He said yes in a very sad voice.

Now fully engrossed with this poor guy, I said ....so what happened?

Looking very sad he looks at me and says

When I got home I said.... dad Im sorry but I got a tatoo, my dad crinkled his nose in discust and was a bout to turn away..,

(At this point the marine stood up. )

But I pulled up my shirt like this (Actually doing it)

Of. JJJJJEEEEESSSSUUUUUSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

He had a large well done image of Christ on his entire rib cage.

he said my dad paused for a very long moment.. Then slowly started nodding his head in aprooval

Just a story. But I laughed my ass off.

After drinking to much latter me and his marine buddy's had to chase him down the street half naked and tackle him in front of a bowling ally . I think I caught a left hook in the scuffle... But I did not mind. I had a blast and he apologized latter.

Poor guy a penacostal preacher as a father and two tours in Afghanistan had left him pretty messed up, then a $20,000 cash bonus for joining the coast guard. It was a wild night in the makeing.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

I like to think that tattoos are for people who don't have any interesting scars. People get tattoos for all sorts of reasons, but most of the time, it's because the tattoo represents something deeply significant to the individual, or the group to which that individual belongs. I don't have any tattoos. I think that groups will find whatever reason they need to declare certain individuals as outside the group, and tattoos and piercings are one very visual means for groups to exclude people. They're so common now, though, that it seems a bit redundant to consider tattoos symbolic of being on the fringe of society. I think some cafes must have neck tattoos as a prerequisite for employment.

• Like 1

It looks like Yeshua dude had a tattoo . . .

Revelation 19:16 - And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

:innocent:

Leviticus 19:28 says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." However, in the beginning of Leviticus 2, it says (emphasis added): "The Lord said to Moses, 'Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.''"

Unless if you happen to be Jewish, it doesn't really matter, in my opinion.

That is true, unless someone is Jewish, it really doesn't matter. The only problem I see with tattoos is when someone simply gets one with no meaning behind it. Simply because of reasons like, "It's pretty" or "It's awesome".

It looks like Yeshua dude had a tattoo . . .

Revelation 19:16 - And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

:innocent:

Is that supposed to be his thigh, or the thigh of the vesture? By a comparison... She had on her jeans, and on her butt a name written, LEVI'S- her butt does not have the name, her jeans do. So could it be the name was written on the thigh of the vesture instead of the thigh of the man?

Is that supposed to be his thigh, or the thigh of the vesture? By a comparison... She had on her jeans, and on her butt a name written, LEVI'S- her butt does not have the name, her jeans do. So could it be the name was written on the thigh of the vesture instead of the thigh of the man?

Not sure how to interpret it, but it looks like on his actual thigh. If indeed Yeshua studied in Egypt he would have been exposed to tattooing, which was an initiative practice among the priests, though the tattoos were usually on the feet.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. God is an Artist.

Edited by IMN

Leviticus 19:28 says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." However, in the beginning of Leviticus 2, it says (emphasis added): "The Lord said to Moses, 'Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.''"

I like how in both he has to remind them he is the Lord. It's especially out of context in the first one, thrown on for good measure. Like it's become a nervous tic.

• Like 2

In my opinion if someone condemns tattoos because they interpret the bible that literally, then I hope they abide by the other things it bans. Swearing, shaving, wearing clothes of mixed fiber, etc.

Which actually prefaces and factors into EVERY passage of Leviticus. Some passages, including the (in)famous one about men lying with men as they do women are directed at the children of Aaron - that is priests.

I like how in both he has to remind them he is the Lord. It's especially out of context in the first one, thrown on for good measure. Like it's become a nervous tic.

To me it kinda sounds as though he admits in the 1st of the ten commandments that there are other Gods or else why would he have to say not to any other before him, so I think hes not only reminding them but probably also trying to convince himself he is THEE Lord lol.

• Like 1

Lets be real here okay...its against the bible to do a lot of things depending on how you want to interpret that book and we all know how wide open the bible is for interpretation and anyone who wants to argue that fact can start out by explaining how there are so many different branches of christianity that read the same book but believe different things. Like why do pentecostle's believe you can loose your salvation and why do some christians faiths believe you can't go to heaven if your not baptized but others don't. So if you want it be anti tat and piercing then by god make it anti tat and piercing! Just don't harass people who have them please!!! lol