Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monk to spontaneously combust on thursday

seeder

Oh boy heres one to follow up on!

Buddhist monk enters trance in bid to 'meditate himself to death'… and tells followers he will spontaneously combust on Thursday

Monk Luang Pu Pim has told his followers that his time has come to die

The Thai holyman has decided to lay down in a coffin and meditate to death

He said that if he has passed away the coffin will self-combust on Thursday

A Buddhist monk who said it's time for him to die has decided to lay in a coffin and 'meditate himself to death'. The Thai holyman told his followers that if he did indeed pass away, the coffin would self-combust on Thursday.

The monk, Phra Khru Weruwan Chantarungsi, 65, who is also known as Luang Pu Pim, is the abbot of Wat Weruwan temple in Tambon Thung Phra in Thailand - and is in good health, according to temple representatives.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2750561/Buddhist-monk-enters-trance-bid-meditate-death-tells-followers-spontaneously-combust-Thursday.html#ixzz3Cv77n63Y

• Like 3

Monk - "Hmmm... I wonder what I have scheduled for today"...

looks at daily planner...

"Oh okay. I've got prayer services at 7, breakfast at 7:30, a meeting with the local ladies flower arrainging association at 9... Hmmm... More prayers

at noon... Oh yes and self immolation at 3:30... Well that's certainly a full day!"

• Like 3

I don't know about the combustion part but I don't doubt that it's possible for someone disciplined enough to meditate themselves to death. It's pretty well documented that some yogis can exercise amazing control over their respiratory system so if you can slow the heart down to 6 beats a minute then why not a total stop?

This is why you don't buy coffins from the Mission Impossible headquarters. :whistle:

• Like 6

He "miraculously" recovered from death once. I wonder if we'll see another miracle. They can't confirm that his body is in the coffin -- so says the article.

• Like 2

someone needs to record this for youtube , monetise it aswell haha

Edited by alfonso

They really do think that people will believe any old rubbish just because he's a "holy man". Remember that lying priest who claimed to have a time camera?

• Like 1

Oh dear... it seems he has been stopped from doing this

Local authorities and senior monks in Chaiyaphum have stepped in to prevent a senior monk from "meditating" himself to death in a closed coffin. Phra Khru Weruwan Chantarungsi, 65, widely known as...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/431504/monk-begins-death-by-meditation

• Like 3

This thread isn't hot yet, but I'll think about it a bit and maybe it will become hot.

Self immolation in Buddhism bewilders non Buddhists who have no understanding of it's deep religious significance.http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=24572

• Like 2

Jeeze those people are weird.

And crazy, Maybe you can meditate 'to stop' but you can't incinerate yourself w/ thought.

Need starter fuel, like they did in Vietnam in 60s. :whistle: ..see also cover of Rage Against The Machine's CD.

(Not my favorite thread. :cry: )

hmm has me wondering if all those cases of spontaneous human combustion were just meditations...

the truth is if he sits in the box like in a few days he probably would die anyway old people have to drink a lot of water my guess is that he'll die of dehydration just sitting there non stop not eating or drinking anything when he says he knows his demise will come because of course it will he's basically slowly forcing his body to shut down the same way a person dehydrates from too much heat he will most likely pass on because of dehydration which only take about 3 days for a healthy adult

It's probably a pious fraud if it happens, and of course if it doesn't it will be another excessive religiosity example.

Self immolation is going on fairly frequently now in Tibet, not so much over religion (although that is part of it) as over the immigration of Han people with the idea of replacing the Tibetan culture there. If the world can hear about it (difficult considering the Chinese control things), it is an effective way to draw world attention to your cause.

Suicide is not looked down on in most of Asia the way many Westerners do, only pointless suicides. If they serve a worthy purpose you are not unlikely to have a street in Saigon named after you (there are a few). To my mind heroism in war sometimes is an example of such worthy suicide.

Why cant monks use meditation to ponder the great mysteries of the universe....like why Liberals are not euthanized at birth or why drinking Mexican water out of a taco shell gives you hyper diarrhea.

It's probably a pious fraud if it happens, and of course if it doesn't it will be another excessive religiosity example.

Self immolation is going on fairly frequently now in Tibet, not so much over religion (although that is part of it) as over the immigration of Han people with the idea of replacing the Tibetan culture there. If the world can hear about it (difficult considering the Chinese control things), it is an effective way to draw world attention to your cause.

Suicide is not looked down on in most of Asia the way many Westerners do, only pointless suicides. If they serve a worthy purpose you are not unlikely to have a street in Saigon named after you (there are a few). To my mind heroism in war sometimes is an example of such worthy suicide.

In the west we call those martyrs

I would say one more thing -- I don't approve. I fear what you sometimes have are depressive, suicidal people taking this route to justify it. I can't say I know this but I strongly suspect it.

Martyrdom is like that too -- I wonder at the real motives. Those who seek martyrdom should be discouraged.

• Like 1

I have looked into history of the Tibetan situation a while ago. It is very sad situation that should not have been allowed to happen. Moving in the Han is just the latest of China's destruction of Tibetan culture. It is not unlike what happen to the Native Americans here.

I don't know what this Monk is doing. I agree, though, with idea it does seem to be attention getting. Kind of like a TV evangelist kind of stunt.

• Like 1