Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Matter Of Gravity

ellapenella

If your god created the universe than what created him, if something can't come from nothing?

It's turtles, all the way down.

• Like 7

There is no such thing as "nothing". No matter where you are there is always something there; it is often just a type of something that is of no relevance, value or importance to you or others.

An empty room can be claimed to have "nothing" simply because it does not contain anything of relevance to what one is looking for at a given time yet there is air, fumes, walls, carpets, static electricity, thermal energy, mites, bacteria, etc.

• Like 5

Who can possibly provide evidence that the universe created itself from nothing ? Is science limited or not ?

http://wn.com/a_matt...ty__john_lennox

No one can right now. But you know what's great about science, we tend not to be satisfied with that answer and we certainly don't just pack up shop and say "and therefore jesus".

Just take a look at this year's Nobel Prize science recipients - fortunately none of them gave up and they continued to ask the hard questions and search for answers (said as I flip on my LED light on my desk).

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 7

There is scientific evidence that shows that the universe was created from a sudden big bang, not withstanding the fact that all matter in the universe is expanding away from the big bang epicentre as a result. Further scientific evidence may come to light in the future, which may show that the big bang theory is slightly incorrect, and that's why you can't describe science as limited. Of course science can't prove the existence of a superconsciousness or God , but as science advances in the future this may well happen.

Edited by Oxo1
  • Like 1

But you know what's great about science, we tend not to be satisfied with that answer and we certainly don't just pack up shop and say "and therefore jesus".

Sadly a majority, as I observe, do just that simply because it is far easier to say "god did it" or "leprechauns did it" than to think about it use the internet for more than just games to research a topic.

I can't understand why anyone would accept god did it as an answer. It's so bland and boring. I want to know how. I wasnt to understand the methods and the reasons why.

Why would anyone just shrug and say god did it? Such a boring answer.

• Like 3

I can't understand why anyone would accept god did it as an answer. It's so bland and boring. I want to know how. I wasnt to understand the methods and the reasons why.

Of course it is bland and boring but at least a person doesn't have to be bothered with thinking about it, right? All nice and wrapped up in a convenient little package that can be applied to any question.

So simple. A phrase of a few words that can be used to explain anything and everything. This way people don't have to bother with thinking so they can focus all their attention on trivialities like sports or any activity that requires as little brain power as possible.

• Like 2

Well it's understandable that ancient peoples would do this (hence why we have religion to begin with), but you're right, it's mind boggling that modern humans would take this approach.

• Like 2

Isn't there a thread here just like this one? So, wouldn't the same answers of those who applied a scientific outlook work here too?

And I agree, I don't think it really is nothing, just not something that can be thought of to be described yet. I really think there is so much more that hasn't been comprehended yet, to just say it was nothing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If your god created the universe than what created him, if something can't come from nothing?

Eternal, that which has no beginning nor end, being that which always was and will always be. Which leads to the question, if eternal then can it create anything which isn't of like nature and if of like nature then how can it be created.

Eternal, that which has no beginning nor end, being that which always was and will always be. Which leads to the question, if eternal then can it create anything which isn't of like nature and if of like nature then how can it be created.

You're making the assumption that the universe itself isn't eternal, which we can't say one way or the other. Perhaps it existed in a way that we cannot comprehend before its present state.

• Like 1

I don't believe god created the universe, but if he did, the reason is obvious. God is, like us, an inquisitive evolving learning creature who is basically creative and enjoys shaping and bending things to his imagination.

In my interactions with god it is clear that he possesses all these qualities but is also "lonely " ie he enjoys interaction wit other self awre minds and gains positive feedback from this. It is not as much fun for god to be isolated from other consciousness's as it is to interact with them .

Before very long this will drive humans who have the scientific ability to do so, to raise the consciousness of other animals and create self aware machines so that we can share our experiences and understandings with different life forms, and compare and contrast them.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

I don't believe god created the universe, but if he did, the reason is obvious. God is, like us, an inquisitive evolving learning creature who is basically creative and enjoys shaping and bending things to his imagination.

In my interactions with god it is clear that he possesses all these qualities but is also "lonely " ie he enjoys interaction wit other self awre minds and gains positive feedback from this. It is not as much fun for god to be isolated from other consciousness's as it is to interact with them .

Before very long this will drive humans who have the scientific ability to do so, to raise the consciousness of other animals and create self aware machines so that we can share our experiences and understandings with different life forms, and compare and contrast them.

Supposing just for the sake of argument that a god did create the universe, set everything in motion. There still had to be a process. We're so painfully close to figuring it out. It'd be stupid to just say "god did it" and leave it at that.

• Like 1

With regards to this post "A Matter of Gravity"; god and science.

It should be noted that, for whatever reason, gravity seems to be a variable existence in all mathematical frameworks of "dimensions"

Why that is, or what it might mean if found to be true, I do not know.

When we ask the big questions, what is the most reliable source of information?

Science is limited to the scientific method, but what other methods of inquiry are as rational? Science may or may not be able to discover evidence of the fundamental process for the creation of the universe. It is possible that this original process may lie beyond the capabilities of science to determine. If science is incapable to provide an answer, I would hope we do not fall back on philosophy or religion to answer this question, as both provide only subjective speculations, and therefore cannot be relied on to provide objective truths.

• Like 3

Indeed. In fact if you really think about it, lonely isolated people actually do create universes of sorts inside their minds. Heck healthy creative people do aswell. I Think any intelligent thinking being with the power to do so would create all kinds of life.

Who can possibly provide evidence that the universe created itself from nothing ? Is science limited or not ?

http://wn.com/a_matt...ty__john_lennox

It seems like we are constantly goin over this subject. There is a lot of confusion in this area. And it's partly the scientists fault buts that's only because terms have been partly hi jacked by the hard atheist to push their agenda.

Then universe did not come from nothing. Most likely a rare quantum fluctuation. In fact by sheer virtue of its own nature NOTHING cannot exist.

You did not watch the lecture. He concluded with an aswer to that very question.

You did not watch the lecture. He concluded with an aswer to that very question.

He doesn't answer that question.

I can just as easily say that the universe wasn't create. No need for a god now.

Oh man, the video is over an hour long. I'll put it on when I am have trouble getting to sleep.

I am going to say this, when I look at nature I see how life creates itself by way of birth. Why would it not be the same with the Universe. The Universe was born not created. The big bang or the beginning of expansion maybe more a process of birth rather than creation from an outside source. Maybe I am wrong, but it just how I make sense of it.

• Like 1

Nothing created God , God had always existed , always....

I would daydream on that question when I was like 4 maybe 5 years of age...

Nothing created God , God had always existed , always....

I would daydream on that question when I was like 4 maybe 5 years of age...

Do you not see how that is not anwser?

• Like 1

Oh man, the video is over an hour long. I'll put it on when I am have trouble getting to sleep.

I am going to say this, when I look at nature I see how life creates itself by way of birth. Why would it not be the same with the Universe. The Universe was born not created. The big bang or the beginning of expansion maybe more a process of birth rather than creation from an outside source. Maybe I am wrong, but it just how I make sense of it.

When I look at nature , I see that it is of no accident... I see everything as being born .. Honestly , I don't have all the answers , like you don't have them all either. But in that sense I also know that there is a higher power.

Edited by Reann

It seems like we are constantly goin over this subject. There is a lot of confusion in this area. And it's partly the scientists fault buts that's only because terms have been partly hi jacked by the hard atheist to push their agenda.

Then universe did not come from nothing. Most likely a rare quantum fluctuation. In fact by sheer virtue of its own nature NOTHING cannot exist.

Yes. I agree with you .