Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Detector Finds Extraterrestrial Particles [merged]

seeder

Neutrino Detector Finds Elusive Extraterrestrial Particles in 'Major Breakthrough'

For decades, scientists have been searching for ghostly neutrino particles from outer space, and now they have finally found them.

Using the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica, researchers found the first evidence of neutrinos from outside the solar system since 1987. The findings open the door for a new era of astronomy that could reveal secrets of the strangest phenomena in the universe, scientists say.

http://www.space.com/23681-neutrino-detector-extraterrestrial-particles-breakthrough.html

• Like 3

This is great news. I can't wait to see what comes from this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

icecube-670x440-131122.jpg

For decades, scientists have been searching for ghostly neutrino particles from outer space, and now they have finally found them.

Using the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica, researchers found the first evidence of neutrinos from outside the solar system since 1987. The findings open the door for a new era of astronomy that could reveal secrets of the strangest phenomena in the universe, scientists say

link

Edited by ShadowSot
  • Like 2

Neutrinos are such a trip! That they are constantly passing through our bodies is both cool and kind of creepy. I knew there were some observations going on in very deep mines, but no under ice. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Neutrinos are such a trip! That they are constantly passing through our bodies is both cool and kind of creepy.

What I find even cooler and creepier is the fact that, because they pass clean through the Earth, you are receiving as many solar neutrinos at midnight as you are midday.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 2

Dangit, I searched! I really did!

Not a problem.

Our bodies are so overwhelmingly just emptiness that tiny neutrino doesn't notice us and we don't notice it.

• Like 2

Our bodies are so overwhelmingly just emptiness that tiny neutrino doesn't notice us and we don't notice it.

So i guess all physicality is equally overwhelmingly 'empty' space? And the space within us is exactly the same as space outside of us.. or anywhere else in the universe? Our bodies are held together by the same forces that hold all objects together?

• Like 1

Okay. I've got to nitpick. I hate the title.

Aren't all neutrinos, by definition 'extraterrestrial'? They should be termed 'Extrasolar neutrinos', shouldn't they?