Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sifting the wheat from the chaff

likwidlite

Hi all,

I started watching the abomination of a "documentary" called "Best Cases Ever Caught on Tape - Ghost" yesterday and it go me to thinking.

Is there a website where one can find a selection of the best genuinely unexplained Images/Videos in one place. Somewhere that puts quality over quantity. Somewhere where images/videos have been scrutinised by skeptics & experts and still have no explanation.

If not, why not? Would the UM team be interested in making something like this? Maybe a new section to the site? There seems to be enough skeptics and experts around to help.

I'm not sure if there's a website out there that has only goodly unexplained images. Maybe because most images and video aren't up to snuff as far as skeptics are concerned.

We do have stuff pop up on a pretty regular basis here, sometimes it can kind of vary on what thread it pops up in. Ya just gotta look for it.

"sometimes it can kind of vary on what thread it pops up in. Ya just gotta look for it.". This is exactly what I mean. Having to look through junk to get to the good stuff. A single place where you can see good content with expert opinions of skeptics and believers from various faculties. One place where everyone agrees "we don't know what that is!"

That's just it. I kind of doubt there's been any footage posted where everyone agreed "yep, that is truly unexplainable", let alone enough different bits of footage to warrant it's own thread header.

How many bits of footage do you know of that are generally held as truly unexplainable? With skeptics and believers agreeing about it? Personally I can't really think of many off the top of my head.

It's a good idea though... Perhaps start a thread about what you think are some true unexplainables and see how it goes from there. Maybe use one of your blog slots to start posting up what folks can somewhat agree on?

First off I'd like to say thanks for replying. My account was opened in May 2005 and this is my first post :blush:. That said I do come here on a regular basis with my cup of tea for a bit of a read at break time and have done for years.

I guess your right, its less a case of sifting the wheat from the chaff and more like finding a needle in a haystack. I really hoped there was a selection of well known images/videos that would warrant a place of their own. The fact nothing like this already exist plays right into the hands of the skeptics.

Congrats on your first post...

Well the thread is here, so...

I would suggest that the Madonna of Bachelors Grove photo may be more of a wheat than a chaff.

The one thats always puzzled me is the Amityville child picture.I know its probably fake but it is good..be interesting to hear from anyone who knows more.

amityville79coll191.jpg

Lol, just came back to this page at the same time the itunes was playing "a whiter shade of pale" (cover by Black label Society) and with perfect timing the lyrics were "that her face, at first just ghostly".

The one thats always puzzled me is the Amityville child picture.I know its probably fake but it is good..be interesting to hear from anyone who knows more.

amityville79coll191.jpg

It's just a photo of a child taken with the flash on. The glowing eyes is clearly the same phenomenon as red-eye, just not red because it's in a BW photograph. What's good about it as a fake?

I admit I'm not familiar with the circumstances of the picture, so there may be more to it than I am aware of.

Edited by Archimedes

Yeah I don't really see anything coming from that pic that makes it look like a real ghost.The eyes look creepy,but like Archimedes pointed out, its from the camera flash.I've seen some pics that make me really question whether they were real or fake,but this is definitely not one of them.

As for this thread as I've said many times before,if I didn't have paranormal experiences which I can't explain myself and was just curious about the paranormal,I can guarantee you this site would have made me either a skeptic or a cynic.Most stories on here that I've read(though not all) tend to be wildly exaggerations of minor coincidences that aren't even that unusual.Others are so colorful with very bad grammar and sentence structure. These posts are usually written by individuals that get very defensive when a skeptic or cynic disagrees about their experiences being paranormal.

Sometimes I wonder why I even visit this site.I guess I must be really bored.Time for me to get a real life-lol

Edited by mattryan209

It's just a photo of a child taken with the flash on. The glowing eyes is clearly the same phenomenon as red-eye, just not red because it's in a BW photograph. What's good about it as a fake?

I admit I'm not familiar with the circumstances of the picture, so there may be more to it than I am aware of.

It was taken when the house was empty by professional photographer Gene Campbell.He set up an automatic camera on the second floor landing with infrared and black and white to just take snaps all through the night.We only have his word that the house was empty so its still one where its more likely a setup.I just thought id throw it up for the OP..

edit to add....im not a believer myself...i just like the pic lol

Edited by BrianPotter

Someone will post a genuine picture or video eventually and people will still say it was faked our technology in its current form will never be able to prove without a doubt there are ghosts and demons.

As the Amityville story was a proven hoax, I have to doubt the validity of "paranormal" evidence obtained in the house. It looks like a flesh-and-blood being to me.

Someone will post a genuine picture or video eventually and people will still say it was faked our technology in its current form will never be able to prove without a doubt there are ghosts and demons.

Uhm....If people can see them, camera's can also......

Not sure what you mean about " in it's current form ".....Are you saying we are not advanced enough yet to catch them?.....Or the obvious, they do not exist?

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean about " in it's current form ".....Are you saying we are not advanced enough yet to catch them?.....Or the obvious, they do not exist?

Well said my friend.

The technology can be faked too readily for any of it to prove anything...

And just because people can see them doesn't mean a camera can. Imagination, psychological problems? If you have a camera that can capture what someone sees in their mind you would be pretty rich.

Edited by Timonthy

The technology can be faked too readily for any of it to prove anything...

And just because people can see them doesn't mean a camera can. Imagination, psychological problems? If you have a camera that can capture what someone sees in their mind you would be pretty rich.

I said " If a person can see them "

Seeing and imagination, hallucinations, etc. are different.

see

1    [see] Show IPA verb, saw, seen, see·ing.

verb (used with object)

to perceive with the eyes; look at.

to view; visit or attend as a spectator: to see a play.

If I need to clarify, " physically see them "....... :blush:

I said " If a person can see them "

Seeing and imagination, hallucinations, etc. are different.

see

1    [see] Show IPA verb, saw, seen, see·ing.

verb (used with object)

to perceive with the eyes; look at.

to view; visit or attend as a spectator: to see a play.

If I need to clarify, " physically see them "....... :blush:

Haha yes I understand. The problem is, has anyone ever really seen anything? ;)

• Like 1