Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Stellar winds may electrify exoplanets

exoplanets hot jupiters stellar winds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

phys.org said:

The strangest class of exoplanets found to date might be even stranger than astronomers have thought. A new model suggests that they are partially heated by electric currents linked to their host stars. Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) astronomer Dr. Derek Buzasi has proposed a model in which electric currents arising from the interaction between the planet's magnetic field and the hot charged wind from the star flow through the interior of the planet, heating it like an electric toaster.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 June 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Interesting problem they are trying to solve. My Dark Matter at the center of planets hypothesis fits with the puffier hot Jupiters around magnetically charged sun's with extra energy from dark matter tidal interactions imv. [sorry WD, I see it everywhere]

One problem scientists have had in understanding the hot Jupiters is that many are inflated to sizes even larger than expected for planets so close to their stars. Explanations for the "puffiness" of these exoplanets generally involve some kind of extra heating for the planet. Proposed sources for the extra heat have included tides and interactions between the high-speed winds and magnetic fields expected on these planets, but none of these models successfully explains the observation that more magnetically active stars tend to have puffier hot Jupiters orbiting around them.

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 07 June 2013 - 07:44 AM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

[sorry WD, I see it everywhere]
The problem is that you are the only one that does. A hypothesis with no supporting evidence is a hypothesis with no scientific credidibility (not that it stops you hijacking thread after thread).

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

The idea of Jupiter's 100ky cycle being responsible for extra tidal forcing to explain the ice age paradox has been forwarded to Prof Maslin, the climatological consultant for the latest BBC series 'Ice Age Giants' by the producer Mags Lightbody. So she was sufficiently impressed by my out-of-the-box left-field thinking. I'm not overly surprised that anyone on this forum doesn't share the same open-mindedness unfortunately.

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 07 June 2013 - 10:25 AM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#5    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Interesting problem they are trying to solve. My Dark Matter at the center of planets hypothesis fits with the puffier hot Jupiters around magnetically charged sun's with extra energy from dark matter tidal interactions imv. [sorry WD, I see it everywhere]
My explanation for the extra puffiness in exoplanet Jupiters *isn't* extra heating but extra internal convection due to a new interplanetary force.  The idea of a star's Coronal Mass Ejection interacting with a planet's magnetic field has implications for the Earth and apparent increase in aircraft incidents during the last bought of CME's just a month or so ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users