Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lair of Ancient 'Kraken' Sea Monster found?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,613 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

www.livescience.com said:

A giant sea monster, the likes of the mythological kraken, may have swum Earth's ancient oceans, snagging what was thought to be the sea's top predators — school bus-size ichthyosaurs with fearsome teeth.

The kraken, which would've been nearly 100 feet (30 meters) long, or twice the size of the colossal squid, Mesonychoteuthis, likely drowned or broke the necks of the ichthyosaurs before dragging the corpses to its lair, akin to an octopus's midden, according to study researcher Mark McMenamin, a paleontologist at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts.

There is no direct evidence for the beast, though McMenamin suggests that's because it was soft-bodied and didn't stand the test of time; even so, to make a firm case for its existence one would want to find more direct evidence.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,114 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Interesting. That would be one bad critter to wander into in the sea. Like the giant octopus from the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie. Probably it would have been just as intellegent or more so then todays octopus. Maybe the layout of the bones in patterns is no mistake or accident?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

It is a legendary sea monster which fed on ships and whales in a single mouthful.
Now one researcher claims he has found proof the mythical creature actually did exist.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#4    grendille

grendille

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

definitely interesting but it seems like a lot of conjecture at this point,  I hope it pans out though proof of the Kraken would be awesome.

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

If the pattern in the fossils is all he's got then it doesn't seem very rock-solid theory :rofl:

Edited by Timonthy, 11 October 2011 - 06:43 AM.

Posted Image

#6    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ě M ă Ġ î ń Ć Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 7,036 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

www.livescience.com said:

A giant sea monster, the likes of the mythological kraken, may have swum Earth's ancient oceans, snagging what was thought to be the sea's top predators — school bus-size ichthyosaurs with fearsome teeth.

Lair of Ancient 'Kraken' Sea Monster Possibly Discovered
Jeanna Bryner, LiveScience Managing Editor
Date: 10 October 2011 Time: 09:42 AM ET

Found ?

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#7    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• 2,050 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

I hope it's true and not the marks left behind by some dumb fish laying eggs or some other junk. (Idk if that would be logical, but it's not meant to be taken seriously.)

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#8    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

View Postgrendille, on 11 October 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

definitely interesting but it seems like a lot of conjecture at this point,  I hope it pans out though proof of the Kraken would be awesome.

Awesome? I think it would be terrifying!  :alien:

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 12 October 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

Awesome? I think it would be terrifying!  :alien:
Luckily you'd be seperate from the real thing, if it existed, by millions of years.

Should be noted the original kraken was only dangerous in the sense that when it left the surface, it caused whirlpool that would suck sips under.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#10    Evo

Evo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:40 AM

Just goes to show how huge the ocean is.

#11    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,082 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

This is pretty stupid.   If this is all that is needed to declare a discovery, then each of us could come up with discoveries with this much evidence.

View PostDieChecker, on 10 October 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Interesting. That would be one bad critter to wander into in the sea. Like the giant octopus from the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie. Probably it would have been just as intellegent or more so then todays octopus. Maybe the layout of the bones in patterns is no mistake or accident?
What leads you to think that?

#12    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,547 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 October 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Probably it would have been just as intellegent or more so then todays octopus.

Sorry, but there's absolutely no reason to think that. As a general rule, species do not get less intelligent over time.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#13    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

This article is utter rubbish,There is still not enough evidence to suggest such a creature is real.Mass killing due to natural disasters is what what most scientists agree.

#14    The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

People (in general term) shouldn`t act ignorant and accept the possibility that there are still "monsters" alive. if i am correct only 5% of the sea is explored and only 1% of the deep sea. Even though i am aware of the fact that in order for a specie to survive there has to be a population. But despite that i wouldnt exlude that possibility that animals like the megalodon are still alive.
The oceanic trenches probarly hold a lot of life and as we know life evolves.
even 3700 miles long rivers are still being found http://www.unexplain...s.php?id=212978

the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence -

Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work  - Indian Proverb

#15    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

View PostDigitalDreamer, on 13 October 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

This article is utter rubbish,There is still not enough evidence to suggest such a creature is real.Mass killing due to natural disasters is what what most scientists agree.

Rubbish?!!  This article is merely pointing out someone's hypothesis... the article itself seems to be very unbiased and informative of both sides of the argument.  I thought it to be rather good.  However, I will agree that there is nowhere enough evidence to support the hypothesis.

The world is my oyster... and I'm allergic to sea food.
My Background / Credentials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users