Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Aquatic Animals Do Fall From the Sky

waterspout sharks tornadoes sky sharknado

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Tornadoes over water are too weak to lift sharks, but strong enough to bring smaller animals ashore.

Sharks fell from the sky in the SyFy Channel’s “Sharknado,” a campy movie that stirred up Internet buzz and is getting a sequel.

In real life, of course, sharks don’t fall from the sky. But fish, frogs, and alligators do—and scientists think the likely cause is a weather phenomenon called a “waterspout,” a term first coined in 1738 by traveler Thomas Shaw.

http://newswatch.nat...l-from-the-sky/

Posted Image

#2    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

i gotta admit i LOVED sharknado!!! :D

As for this phenomenon though, i don't love the waterspout explanation quite as much.....
on the first thought it's like "yeah of course, that's it!", but if you look into the reports about those "animal rains",
it's very often just one single species of animal that falls down. I would expect a watersprout not to be so picky.....

#3    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Frogs do, as the urban legend goes.

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,156 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Animals have fallen from the sky in the past and will fall from the sky in the future...

#5    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

to anyone who's into that kind of stuff i highly recommend to read Charles Fort's "book of the damned"..... :)

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,059 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

"In real life, of course, sharks don’t fall from the sky. But fish, frogs, and alligators do..."

Well, thank you for my new random nightmare.  :passifier:

#7    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

Actually, while the theory is a waterspout, there's never been any actual witnessing of the animals falling.
And it seems kinda doubtful that animals would survive such a fall.
Frog for example have a tendency to go "splat" when dropped from a height.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#8    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

there are SO MANY reports of all sorts of animals falling from the sky, i am almost sure that there are some occurences where people actually watched it happen. But it's also true that if you drop, say, a frog from a certain height, it will flatten out pretty much....It's a very odd phenomenon, but i don't really buy in the waterspout theory, and i don't know if it would be that cool as a prank for people to stage these things over and over again.

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 26 July 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

there are SO MANY reports of all sorts of animals falling from the sky, i am almost sure that there are some occurences where people actually watched it happen. But it's also true that if you drop, say, a frog from a certain height, it will flatten out pretty much....It's a very odd phenomenon, but i don't really buy in the waterspout theory, and i don't know if it would be that cool as a prank for people to stage these things over and over again.
There are many reports of say, after a rain storm seeing lots of frogs. But not a lot of reports of actually seeing them fall. Ther's the difference.
Skeptoid has a good write up about it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#10    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

ah, nice read for some rather boring work hours, thx! ;) i read the "book of the damned" years ago, so my memory isn't the best, but i could swear it contains a newspaper report of people getting hit by falling fish....
i go through that skeptoid article now to see what they say....

Also tagged with waterspout, sharks, tornadoes, sky, sharknado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users