Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Research on the Mysterious Nazca Lines

SAN FRANCISCO — The Nazca Lines, a series of fantastical geoglyphs etched into the desert in Peru, may have been used by two separate groups of people to make pilgrimage to an ancient temple, new researchicon1.png suggests.

Read more here: http://www.livescience.com/50699-nasca-lines-ritual-procession.html

Additional Article:

The Nazca Lines, a group of hundreds of mysterious geoglyphs etched into the desert in Peru, have mystified archaeologists and scientists for nearly a century. Ancient civilizations made the drawings over a period of hundreds of years, starting in about 200 B.C. Scientists studying the lines have come up with many explanations for their existence. By analyzing the style, subject matter and construction methods for the drawings, the researchers at Yamagata University in Japan have proposed that the lines were made by two different groups and were intended to be seen on their respective pilgrimage routesicon1.png to an ancient temple.

Read more here: http://www.livescience.com/50698-nazca-lines-images.html

• Like 3

Oh no....

can of worms! :lol:

• Like 2

Anything that is around for that long is bound to be used by more than one group. I can only imaging how many different purposes Stonehenge has had over the years.

• Like 4

It's interesting that they would have been created to guide on a pilgrimage, yet the lines are created as if to have been seen from above. Makes you wonder...

Edited by JasonPollock

Oh no....

can of worms! :lol:

What? :mellow:

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

He is refering to some pretty weird discussions we have had with people who are convinced that the lines were made by aliens.

• Like 3

OH!!! I did not know that :lol: Just thought it was a cool article. I don't visit the UFO section very often. Oh well...

• Like 2

OH!!! I did not know that :lol: Just thought it was a cool article. I don't visit the UFO section very often. Oh well...

:lol: As 'noteverthingsaconspiracy' said.

yes one poster - who knows who he is - got the dreaded zoseritis disease about these lines, and sincerely believes man COULD NOT have moved 2 inches deep of gravel to make lines, so it must be ALIEUNZ!! :lol:

The Nazca lines are interesting as a topic, but....there are those who watched the Ancient Aliens version of events, and are content to argue till their blue in the face... with all rational inputs/posters...

eta previous thread

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273198&hl=%20nazca%20%20lines&st=0

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

It's interesting that they would have been created to guide on a pilgrimage, yet the lines are created as if to have been seen from above. Makes you wonder...

Not as mysterious when you consider the area is dotted with hills and mountains from which the lines are imminently visible.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

I would postulate that the lines represent the wandering paths the various Jewish Tribes took. In small scale, of course.

That, or a premonition of the paths of shoppers at a future mall.

The "Astronaut" figure resembles some Orange Julius cashiers I've seen.

Harte

• Like 1

Anything that is around for that long is bound to be used by more than one group. I can only imaging how many different purposes Stonehenge has had over the years.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Once people figured out that these lines lasted a long time on the surface of the earth they were probably used for many purposes over the centuries, from directional markers to spiritual events. Heck, some of them might have even been made "for the fun of it" :)

Not as mysterious when you consider the area is dotted with hills and mountains from which the lines are imminently visible.

--Jaylemurph

Spoil-sport! Attaching aliens to these is much more fun! :w00t:
  • Like 1

Aliens are fun, Orcs are hilarious and Satanists rather mundane.

• Like 1

You all make me laugh :lol: Love it!

I still wonder why they would want them to be seen from above.

Hi folks, has anyone thought about the mysterious "holes" dug into the side of a mountain in Peru as connected to the Nazca lines?

I caught something on TV the other day where a local archeologist was investigating these holes which aren't too far away from Nazca. The holes are maybe 3 feet deep and maybe 4 to 5 feet across. They aren't burials (no bones found) or food storage pits (no traces found). In fact there have been no artifacts found. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it looked to me like the holes were more rhomboid than round; that plus the way they are staggered reminded me of a snakeskin. There's a small open area at the top of this formation that may once have had a head and the tail area may well have been obscured by the road that passes thru. This thread talked about multiple cultures using Nazca, maybe these holes are a later attempt? After all, serpents are seen in many pre-Columbian cultures. The idea of being seen from the air or high hilltops seems to fit.

Hi folks, has anyone thought about the mysterious "holes" dug into the side of a mountain in Peru as connected to the Nazca lines?

I caught something on TV the other day where a local archeologist was investigating these holes which aren't too far away from Nazca. The holes are maybe 3 feet deep and maybe 4 to 5 feet across. They aren't burials (no bones found) or food storage pits (no traces found). In fact there have been no artifacts found. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it looked to me like the holes were more rhomboid than round; that plus the way they are staggered reminded me of a snakeskin. There's a small open area at the top of this formation that may once have had a head and the tail area may well have been obscured by the road that passes thru. This thread talked about multiple cultures using Nazca, maybe these holes are a later attempt? After all, serpents are seen in many pre-Columbian cultures. The idea of being seen from the air or high hilltops seems to fit.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243114&st=15

If ancients made images from the stars, why not the same on earth, like kids drawing images in the sand.

Nonsense!

The Nazca Lines are nothing but a doodle by a bored ET!

Seeder, thank you for the link (I'm not very computer savvy.) I'm not trying to hijack this thread; I only thought that the possibility of more than one culture at Nazca as mentioned here might explain a somewhat similar activity by another culture?

• Like 1

I believe you are referring to the Cajamarquilla pot holes

gallery_93174_7_15842.jpg

This site, if it is the one you are thinking of is 40 kilometers from Lima and therefore several hundred kilometers from Nazca

I believe you are referring to the Cajamarquilla pot holes

gallery_93174_7_15842.jpg

This site, if it is the one you are thinking of is 40 kilometers from Lima and therefore several hundred kilometers from Nazca

Such an interesting region of the world. I would love to make a journey there someday.

Seeder, thank you for the link (I'm not very computer savvy.) I'm not trying to hijack this thread; I only thought that the possibility of more than one culture at Nazca as mentioned here might explain a somewhat similar activity by another culture?

Look what we have here

Ritual sacrifice pits number more than 20 near the settlement. Only four burials have been found.

Ritual-sacrifice-pits.jpg?itok=lulqS6Ve

• Like 1