Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Titanic disaster blamed on Moon

Still Waters

For 100 years it has shouldered the blame for the sinking of the Titanic but now the much-maligned iceberg could be partially forgiven after scientists identified a new culprit – the moon.

Although a collision with a vast tower of ice ultimately brought the passenger liner to its sticky end, it was a freak lunar event three months earlier that put the obstacle in its path, a new study claims.

An incredibly rare combination of astronomical factors including the closest approach of the moon to Earth in 1,400 years caused an unusually high tide in January 1912, researchers found.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayMark

• susieice

• Spectre1979

• Mikami

So how come they haven't put this to the test?

Because it is quite secondary, the main errors were not heading the iceberg warning and changing to a more southern course and not reducing the speed in an iceberg zone. Both of them are standard nautical procedures and would most likely have avoided the catastrophe (naturally the Titanic would not have gotten the blue ribbon as fastest Atlantic crossing vessel).

Are they still obsessing about the Titanic? Why?

Quite plausible. But where is the graviton? Wait... I thing I have one right here... well, nope. Cheetos.

Next thing you know they'll be saying the russians put the iceburg there...

Next thing you know they'll be saying the russians put the iceburg there...

Well, if you say "The Moon put the iceberg there" .... blaming it on the russians does seem more plausible :devil:

Actually I always thought it was poor judgement & big egos that sunk that ship,& just out of curiosity couldn't they have put people on the iceberg till the rescue boats came,& maybe then had a chance of saving more people.?

Ha Ha HA Ha,watta loada she-hit.The Alantic currents are the same regardless of the moons gravitational pull or spring tides,The write up from a surviving Bridge Officer,quoted that the Owner of the vessel wanted the Atlantic Blue Riband,a valued staus symbol them days,so He ordered the Captain (a very senior man) to maintain full speed,even though they knew that there were icebergs in the area,Why the Captain didnt disobey the owner,who wasnt a seaman,will never be known.

I saw this on my news service today and I agree. How the icebergs got where they were is irrelevant. If they had plotted the warnings that they received they would have seen their way was blocked by an icefield miles long from the north to south of their position. They ignored the warnings and went full speed into disaster. Human error and nothing more. Well yes, conceit and the desire to make the Titanic's maiden voyage across the Atlantic the fastest on record.

I often wondered how they didn't see any ice before striking the berg that they did. From the pictures taken in the daylight during the rescue by the Carpathia it looks as though there were quite a few bergs in that immediate area. The Captain of the Carpathia has even said he had to avoid some to reach the Titanic survivors. Captain Lord of the Californian said he was stopped because his way was blocked by a solid icefield. Here's a Wikilink. Scroll down to the rescue section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_RMS_Titanic

Edited by susieice

wow,they would rather blame the Moon than a Capt that didn't do his job.

Its the captain of Costa Concordia's hope.

Its the captain of Costa Concordia's hope.

Ah but that one was due to Neptune aligning with his ineptitude!

I think the possibility of the moon causing an unusual high tide, because of its closeness to the earth, might increase knowledge of other things, besides the sinking of the Titanic. The decisions of the captain have nothing to do with the scientific subject of the relationship between moon, high tides and ice bergs. Mentioning the Titanic is just presenting the new information in away that might get more people's attention.

ahh hell Captain Francesco Schettino of the Costa Concordia has now found his new defense argument... "It was all the Moon's Fault just like Titanic!!"

I'm glad that people are beginning to question if the Titanic actually hit an iceberg.

When you see the pics of what was in the vicinity at daybreak, it would appear as if they may have gone right into pack ice. A photo was taken of an iceberg that had a red streak along it's waterline so apparently the current was not moving swift enough to carry all this ice in the four hours it took the Carpathia to reach the scene. While the Titanic survivors have said they saw the Califorian during the sinking they were unable to see all the ice that had the ship blocked. The Californian's wireless was shut off but so were it's engines. Could the ship they said they saw sail off have been a reflection of some sort. None of this has ever made sense to me. The time frame just doesn't fit. The Carpathia saw ice all the way in and avoided it. The Califorian saw ice and stopped. The Titanic for some reason was the only ship unable to see what at daybreak showed to not be a single iceberg, but an entire ice field.

http://news.yahoo.com/titanic-map-shows-entire-crime-scene-225903961--abc-news.html;_ylt=Au4PKjk91x2IsNJqof19VxryWed_;_ylu=X3oDMTRla2s1MWRtBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sBG1pdANOZXdzIGZvciB5b3UEcGtnAzczZmZjYWQzLWE1NjMtMzI2MC05NjM1LWMwYTdkMDgzNzBmZQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDbmV3c19mb3JfeW91BHZlcgM1YTM3YmQyMC02YWI2LTExZTEtYmZmZi0yMDNmNDE1MjQyMDE-;_ylg=X3oDMTM1NWpncWRuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMmFlMDE5MDctNzgxMS0zZjBhLTkzMGMtYTkxMDM0ZjY5ZTAzBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdlBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

• 3 weeks later...

NOOOO!!! Blame the sun not the moon! The sun is more annoying!

With child time over, time to state my opinion. The Titanic may have crashed, not how everyone would think, but I dont think that the moon did it or there would be more ship crashes. And no I'm not saying that 'cause I like the moon.

NOOOO!!! Blame the sun not the moon! The sun is more annoying!

With child time over, time to state my opinion. The Titanic may have crashed, not how everyone would think, but I dont think that the moon did it or there would be more ship crashes. And no I'm not saying that 'cause I like the moon.

Of course the moon didn't do it. The moon wasen't driving the boat, was it? :huh:

As it can be read on the NASA's website, the cause is really about the ship going full speed in a region full of icebergs and the failure of slowing down in time, despite all the warning messages they received beforehand. So no, the moon didn't do it. Humans did it.

As far as the moon is concerned, they say it may explain how an unusually large number of icebergs got into the path of the Titanic. Seems that during that period of time (most precisely in January 1912) the moon and sun may have lined up, both enhancing their gravitational attractions on the earth resulting in what they call a "spring tide". It could have moved a large quantity of icebergs from Greenland that eventually ended up in the Titanic's path in April.

So since the sun might have been also involved in that "spring tide" might as well blame it too. I wouldn't mind. My favorite star is VY Canis Majoris anyways.

And no, I'm not saying that 'cause I hate the moon. I do prefer Io and Europa but that's my little secret. :P

Edited by JayMark