Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#76    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,915 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I don't see whaling being very harmful to the populations of the hunted whales. They are pretty high! If they maintain their limits, I really do not see the problem.

I suggest you look again.   The numbers have been going down for decades (besides the slight spikes due to restrictions).    Something cannot keep going down without eventually hitting the bottom.

#77    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

The consequences of our collective attitude problem is a lot more systemic than just whales and Japan too.  Cousteau was right; the oceans are dying in our time.   We should be ramming long liners, disposing of longlines wherever we may find them, destroying fishing vessels that are known to be taking these disappearing resources from a dying ecosystem and fighting for much more severe laws against the depletion of marine life and habitats.  The ocean is responsible for all life on earth.  We can't disrupt the food chain like we are, killing 10s OF MILLIONS of sharks every year, and expect there not to be disastrous consequences.   Our grandchildren won't be able to get a decent filet of fish.  Jellyfish sandwiches will be everywhere though.  Bon appetit.

53 years to exterminate 90% of large species.   This is madness.

http://news.national...ishdecline.html

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#78    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostYamato, on 01 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

So zip it and eat your beef.

Not a big fan of free speech and ideas are we? And what else do you propose other than farming?

This farm animal bit doesn't even apply to Sea Shepherd which is a vegan organization, so if that's the best you folks can do, direct your criticism elsewhere.

Fine.

You *snip* (have) no idea of just how dangerous these pirates are.

There. Criticism directed away from your precious Whale-SS.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 05 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.
insult removed

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#79    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Mind your own business. Its not your backyard,

#80    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,775 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I fail to see the connection. Or am I just glad us Germans don't do that. :unsure: Well, the Japanese, just like any other nationality, are not bad per se.

And I'd like to add: Japan is not the only nation that is hunting whales.

Shark finning

Dolphin Killing

There is more, but why bother.

The bombs were not big enough....They are the biggest culprits when it comes to over fishing, and killing to extinction. Although, they are human, just part of the cancer cluster, just the biggest part.

We need a plague.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#81    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMichaelW, on 01 March 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Not a big fan of free speech and ideas are we? And what else do you propose other than farming?

Fine.

You *snip* (have) no idea of just how dangerous these pirates are.

There. Criticism directed away from your precious Whale-SS.
Are the Japanese going to starve unless they travel 7,000 miles away from Japan to a whale sanctuary to find whales to kill?   What else do I propose other than farming?  Do I need something else?  

How dangerous these pirates are!  LOL you're in a small minority in New Zealand of all places.  

Since 1978, whales within New Zealand’s 200-nautical-mile (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone have been protected under the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978. Killing a whale or other cetacean without a permit is punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or a fine of up to NZ$250,000.[5] Efforts are now often made to save whales that have stranded or have become entangled in marine debris.
There is a vocal antiwhaling sentiment in New Zealand. The Government regularly attends the International Whaling Commission meetings and supports the moratorium on whaling, as well as advocating for the creation of whale sanctuaries.[6]

Edited by Paranoid Android, 05 March 2013 - 06:27 AM.
quoted edited

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#82    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

I love the Japanese people and their culture, but I hate the whaling side of it all. It ticks me off and makes me view their industries in a bad light.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#83    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 01 March 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Mind your own business. Its not your backyard,

Actually, given our geographic proximity to Antartica, I'd consider it to be part of whatever "definition" of yard you are using. After all, you are the same person who confused Australia with Arizona.

View PostYamato, on 01 March 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Are the Japanese going to starve unless they travel 7,000 miles away from Japan to a whale sanctuary to find whales to kill?

Of course not. But in saying that, why do these countries send fishing vessels similar distances to fish in the Antartic?  

LOL you're in a small minority in New Zealand of all places.

Interesting you say that. You seem to know more about my country than I do so let's see what you have to say for yourself...

Since 1978, whales within New Zealand’s 200-nautical-mile (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone have been protected under the Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978. Killing a whale or other cetacean without a permit is punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or a fine of up to NZ$250,000.[5] Efforts are now often made to save whales that have stranded or have become entangled in marine debris.
There is a vocal antiwhaling sentiment in New Zealand. The Government regularly attends the International Whaling Commission meetings and supports the moratorium on whaling, as well as advocating for the creation of whale sanctuaries.[6]

I'm well aware of the anti-whaling movement in New Zealand. But our current government hasn't done anything about it? Why? Because it wasn't our problem. The SS are claiming that the Japanese are fishing in Australian waters. And, the Australians are taking the Japanese to court.

So, in repeat of what I said earlier, you *snip* have no idea what's going on.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 05 March 2013 - 06:28 AM.
insult removed

#84    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

Like always. Everyone is an idiot except for yourself. :tsu:  Im gonna have to say being an idiot is not all that bad by your description of your peers.

#85    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 02 March 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Like always. Everyone is an idiot except for yourself. :tsu:  Im gonna have to say being an idiot is not all that bad by your description of your peers.

Except of course, you are not "my peers". Only people with intellect are "my peers". And in case you haven't noticed, there is a lot of idiocy on this forum.

I'm merely the one that points it out. Don't shoot the messenger is the applicable colloquialism, is it not?

#86    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostMichaelW, on 02 March 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Actually, given our geographic proximity to Antartica, I'd consider it to be part of whatever "definition" of yard you are using. After all, you are the same person who confused Australia with Arizona.

Of course not. But in saying that, why do these countries send fishing vessels similar distances to fish in the Antartic?  

Interesting you say that. You seem to know more about my country than I do so let's see what you have to say for yourself...

I'm well aware of the anti-whaling movement in New Zealand. But our current government hasn't done anything about it? Why? Because it wasn't our problem. The SS are claiming that the Japanese are fishing in Australian waters. And, the Australians are taking the Japanese to court.

So, in repeat of what I said earlier, you are an idiot and you have no idea what's going on.
Governments never side with nature over profits until nature is at its perilous end and then it's usually too late.   I don't have faith in the NZ government or any other government (with Australia's the only plausible exception) but I do have faith in the people of New Zealand.  What I had to say for "myself" I posted from the encyclopedia, sources cited at the bottom of the page.   You imply there's a pro-whaling group in New Zealand that's larger than the widespread agreement with me in NZ to oppose whaling.   Can you provide a link to it?

No, Australia is claiming that the Japanese are whaling in Australian waters.  SS isn't telling them what to say in court, SS is only catching them in the act at the time and places they do.

My IQ is at 94 or 95 tops, so I wish I had another 29 or 30 points to keep up with your many insightful and intelligent points.

#87    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,752 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 02 March 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I love the Japanese people and their culture, but I hate the whaling side of it all. It ticks me off and makes me view their industries in a bad light.

“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
Brigid Brophy

#88    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostYamato, on 02 March 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I don't have faith in the NZ government or any other government (with Australia's the only plausible exception) but I do have faith in the people of New Zealand.

Is this because we're staying out of it because it is not of our concern?

You imply there's a pro-whaling group in New Zealand that's larger than the widespread agreement with me in NZ to oppose whaling.

Once again, Yam, you're making **** up. I haven't said or even implied that there is a pro-whaling movement in New Zealand. This is more or less about you sticking your nose into a topic about something that's happening on the other side of the world and claiming to know something about it through "profound" one liners like some tired Hollywood actor.

No, Australia is claiming that the Japanese are whaling in Australian waters.

Paul Watson said so himself. Can't really argue with words straight from the horse's mouth.

SS isn't telling them what to say in court, SS is only catching them in the act at the time and places they do.

Of course not. SS is all about being media whores. When you disown members of your own organisation when they do end up in court, it just goes to show what these people are. Two-faced pieces of ****.

My IQ is at 94 or 95 tops, so I wish I had another 29 or 30 points to keep up with your many insightful and intelligent points.

I'm surprised it's that high. Maybe you could ask your God to perform some sort of miracle.

#89    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,297 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostYamato, on 01 March 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

The consequences of our collective attitude problem is a lot more systemic than just whales and Japan too.  Cousteau was right; the oceans are dying in our time.   We should be ramming long liners, disposing of longlines wherever we may find them, destroying fishing vessels that are known to be taking these disappearing resources from a dying ecosystem and fighting for much more severe laws against the depletion of marine life and habitats.  The ocean is responsible for all life on earth.  We can't disrupt the food chain like we are, killing 10s OF MILLIONS of sharks every year, and expect there not to be disastrous consequences.   Our grandchildren won't be able to get a decent filet of fish.  Jellyfish sandwiches will be everywhere though.  Bon appetit.

53 years to exterminate 90% of large species.   This is madness.

http://news.national...ishdecline.html

So true.  A good measuring tool is the Great Barrier Coral Reef, one of the seven wonders of this world, which has lost about half of it's corals due to pollution and over fishing.  It's waters alone harbor more than 30 whale species and a wide diversity of marine life.  

A world disaster coming our way soon thanks to our mindlessness and greed.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#90    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostBlack Red Devil, on 03 March 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

So true.  A good measuring tool is the Great Barrier Coral Reef, one of the seven wonders of this world, which has lost about half of it's corals due to pollution and over fishing.  It's waters alone harbor more than 30 whale species and a wide diversity of marine life.  

A world disaster coming our way soon thanks to our mindlessness and greed.
Yes, Japanese whaling is symptomatic of a much greater problem.   If Japanese stopped whaling, that would be one victory among many that must be won.  Future generations will only read about coral reefs like we read about dinosaurs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users