Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Japan will never stop whaling, minister says

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#196    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostYamato, on 22 March 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

The link starts out "Founding member of Greenpeace, Paul Watson..." and you're contesting that Paul Watson is a founding member of Greenpeace.   So every letter of every source of information that's negative or critical of Sea Shepherd is true, but I should reject the positive stuff as untrue, and if I circulate anything positive about them, I'm a "liar".  Got it.

You finally spotted the link!! Good for you, only took 3 goes! Well done.

Yes I am contesting it, the person claiming he is a founding member is Paul Watson, so you cannot say this source has given him every benefit of the doubt, and even with that in this side, he still stinks to high heaven.

This is direct from the Greenpeace Website:

Paul Watson became active with Greenpeace in 1971 as a member of our second expedition against nuclear weapons testing in Amchitka, and went on to participate in actions against whaling and the killing of harp seals.  He was an influential early member but not, as he sometimes claims, a founder.

LINK

Grepeace acknowledges Watson as an early member, he was not a founder, and he bloody was not either, Greenpeace was preceded by the "Don't Make A Wave Committee" please show me something with Watsons name on it from that organisation.

And now he is a pirate come terrorist.

Sea Shepherd is a privately owned non-profit organization that doesn't rely on bureaucracy to tell them what to do, or where to get their marching orders.  Saying that I'm trusting in a bureaucracy is the height of confusion.  I'm the one that's not trusting the bureaucracy that's why I'm supporting "pirates" because I don't believe a word the bureaucracy says, especially the whaling bureaucracy.

Why do you keep pointing me at Australian politicians then? What is confusing is your wishy washy stance.

Sea Shepherd does not listen to anyone, or they would not be deliberately making matters worse for the sake of a TV show. Conservationists are asking them to rack off, politicians remain neutral and sway with public opinion. They will turn on the Sea Shepherd like Waston turned on Bethune when opinion sways.

You are supporting pirates probably because you are American, and refuse to take the blame, and hope to shift it, and like a good ally you expect Aussies to play along. No dice Yam.

Factoid: A Yam is a like a small potato here.

I'm telling Japan to get out of Australian waters.  As a self-described Aussie, you don't even know where your own sovereign territory is.  Denying what Australia officially recognizes as sovereign Austrlian territory makes you look demented.  And it has nothing to do with me personally or some political party, or a few "idiot" Australian politicians.  It's your entire country.   You're a person, clueless of what your country recognizes as its own territory.  You have a very unpopular opinion.  It's detestable.  Trying to force it down my throat isn't going to change my mind. Getting personal and calling me a liar has ruined your credibility.  

What Australian waters?

I gave you a map of your waters, I am still waiting for you to show me a mark on it where Australian waters have been breached. You are totally making that part up, and keep repeating it, so what else can I call it but a lie? Patricularly when you repeat this misinformation and I have you a map to show where you are right, but you have not done so, and I know why, because your claim is simply not true. Get upset about that all you like, it does not change the cold hard fact that Japanese Whalers do not enter Australian waters, that is completely made up Yam.

Prove it Yam, go ahead, I double dog dare you, show me on the map of Australian Waters where Whaling has breached it.

Money where you mouth is Yam, please mark on the map where our boundaries are breached. What you keep rabbiting on about is Antarctic claims, which are recognised by 4 LOUSY COUNTRIES 190 out of 194 countries DO NOT RECOGNISE THIS ANTARCTIC ClAIM and that is the BS the likes of Bob Brown base their loose rhetoric upon, but you should know better by now, you must be truly thick to still not understand that no boundaries have been breached, not one.

Stop telling Japan to get out of the Southern Whale Sacntuary unless you are on the UN or are Japanese, I keep telling you WE DO NOT WANT YOUR HELP KEEP YOUR MONEY MAKE YOUR TV SHOW SOMEPLACE ELSE WE DO NOT WANT YOUR "SO CALLED SUPPORT"

You are forcing your ideals down my entire countries throat, you are a hypocrite of international proportions. Just go bloody away and save the Harp Seals or something would ya?

Show me the marks on the provided map. If not then you are deliberately outright lying now, that task should really be quite simple according to yourself.

If Sea Shepherd are "terrorists" then why doesn't your government go out to arrest them?  Why are they allowed to refuel and take up supplies in port?   Why Is Peter Bethune a free man?  Your claims ring hollow when your own government is at odds with every foolish claim you make.   You're a talking head of the whaling establishment.  Shameful.

Because they did not break the law here in Australia, again, if you were to read a little, such simple questions would not confound you so easily. Look at the list of charges again, where are the warrants?
Australia has elections coming up, last thing they need right now is voter controversy. Labour will get the Sea Shepherd supporters as voters, I just hope more Aussies get educated each year and see the Sea Shepherds true agenda. I am disgusted in this government and hope when the new one comes in that they might be more partial to an more evenly based reporting of these pirates.

The whalers are breaking the letters of laws, the spirit of laws, they have no respect for Australian sovereignty, violating the AAT, the Australian EEZ, the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, the global moratorium, refueling below 60 degrees.  They only respect their own laws, their own quotas, their own opinions.  And you think that Japanese law applies in your own waters.  

At least they know where our boundaries are, Watson has confused most of Australia so the average citizen really has no idea.

Australian Sovereignty has not been breached, The AAT Australian Antarctic Territory is recognised by 4 countries out of 194, so that is more than Japan against you there, no whaling has taken place in Australias EEZ, Whalers took a shortcut through it, and have been hung up to dry over that, but at the end of the day it's minor trespassing, nothing to get excited about, and certainly no whaling taking place there, and the Japanese do not breach the moratorium or they would be in court. Greenpeace is the only organisation who has made the Japanese nervous about breaching the moratorium, which they pulled support from when the US decided to reduce their allowed fishing territories. You know actual recognised boundaries that all parties recognise, not like your flimsy sovereign claim which is 100% pure steaming BS.

Stop pretending this has been adjudicated.  Stop pretending that your poorly-formed opinions are the legal last word.   Your country has taken Japan to court.  Do you understand that?   When that case is decided, then you can come run your mouth about how legal Japan is.   When we actually read the laws concerning this issue, it doesn't look good for Japan at all.  There is a legal basis for enforcement in the World Charter for Nature, it just burns your rear end that someone is actually acting on it instead of just thinking they're empty words that nobody can do anything about but sit on their hands and lie and deny that the law doesn't exist.

I have pretended nothing, I have only posted information that refutes your fantasy claims abut mythical sovereign boundaries. It's the law, and as I keep asking, can you please show me where Whalers have breached our sovereignty. I understand the law, and do not fall for some bleeding heart rhetoric on a TV show, based on the same dishonest SS principal like the Baby Harp Seal sign is. Do you understand that? I do not care how passionate you are, I do not care about your opinion, I do not care about your made up boundaries, and I do not care for your TV show, rack of someplace else and make it. It's lying sensationalist crap. I do not care how Japan looks all I care is what someone tries to actually have a go at stopping the barbarism instead of using TV to capitalise on it, and if you think anything else is going on, then you are only kidding yourself.

Use you so called laws to lock the Whalers up, go ahead. Make a TV show out of it, and run it from your own country please, it's not wanted down here. Some of us are smarter than to fall for that BS which only ensures another year of whaling.

The rest of your flatulence getting personal with me is and will be ignored.  It doesn't matter to me what political labels, names you call Sea Shepherd.  Calling a non-violent organization that never killed anyone in 36 years "terrorists" makes you look confused in the eyes of your own country.   If you hate Sea Shepherd so much, scrape yourself up off your couch and go blather to your own gubmint officials who are letting them get away with such "terrorism".  In the meantime, the subsidized whaling fleet is going to continue getting its yearly spanking no matter how hard you cry about it.

I know it does not matter to you, I do not care, you do not seem to understand that I have not want to convert you, you are a mindless thug who thinks he can bully a whole nation because some fat idiot on TV said so. I do not know that you can be helped, all I will do is counter every piece of misinformation you post with the actual truth and the letter of the law to show the Sea Shepherd for what it is - a manipulating greedy private band of pirates come terrorists that capitalises from that which it claims to defend. They are terrorists, I have given you the list of charges, that is the law, terrorism is not a matter of opinion, but like those who supported the slaughter at 911 some do seem to be of that impression.
No I do not look confused in the eyes of my country, I would relish in debating Gillard over her bad management of the situation. But if you thunk I look confused in the eyes of or PM, then I am quite fine with that, I think she would become confused by having to tie shoelaces.
LOL, you are such an overbearing fool, the couch is the one place I would kill to spend time at, my worst problem is that there is only 24 hours in a day. Be nice to float about, pretend your some sort of an authority, and get paid to have Internet morons fawn over me, but hey one has to sleep at night as well. I often wonder how Watson manages that.
I will certainly vote against the current Government in the upcoming election, and perhaps you have just given me the inspiration for a campaign against them, involving the Sea Shepherd, and the graft and corruption going on there.

What you call spanking, most people realise is taunting, but spanking is good as a definition. When you "spank" an entire nation like Japan, get ready for repercussions, that is how things work, because believe it or not, the world is bigger than just you Yam. And Japan is going to respond to the spanking like a teenager would, by going twice as hard. Gee, that will help whaling wont it. Lets keep going until we have two massive fleets on the water in a pising contest and no whales, yeah, good show Yam.

Edited by psyche101, 25 March 2013 - 06:44 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#197    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Saying its about tradition and Japanese cuisine is the way they justify it.  The reality is it is very much about whales -- living, intelligent, feeling beings.

#198    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 23 March 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

I'm just wondering, what scientific research is Japan conducting where it needs to kill 900+ minke, and 50+ fin whales a year for, 10...15 years? If you are killing the whales for food, which they are, then call it that. If the Japanese are actually doing research and need to kill this many whales, then I think they suck at research.

...And that prop fowler is hilarious, it never works!

It is a lie, but most people involved know that already, what happened was Japan agreed to stop taking whales, and did, in 1987 they did not take one whale. All because everyone had signed support for the whaling moratorium, then when the signatures were down, the US changed it;s mind abut fishing and decided to reduce Japans legal fishing grounds, to which Japan too offence, and said they do noot have the land America des and need the fishing rights, and removed their support from the moratorium. The US figured they had screwed Japan, to which Japan used the research Loophole to show the US they will not be pushed around. Why the heck the Sea Shepherd is involved in anyone's guess, their "support" is not wanted, as all it does is produce a TV show.
The real problem lies between the US and Japan, we are all just caught in the middle trying to stop this feud costing us all, and all the Sea Shepherd does is like the US, give Japan another reason to come back next year. They need to go, they are not helping.
Greenpeace, not the Sea Shepherd were the ones who actually proved the meat is not being taken for research.

Japan's Stolen Whale Meat Scandal LINK

Following a four-month investigation, on May 15, 2008, Greenpeace exposed a major scandal within the Japanese commercial whaling industry, by presenting a box of prime cut whale meat valued at US$3,000, to the Tokyo Prosecutor’s Office as evidence of embezzlement.

That is positive action. And no violence required. Just a lab.

The Japanese people are hardly wholly behind Whaling as well, so it is indeed politics, and between the US and Japan. Our loud mouth down under ill informed pollies do not seem to be helping one bit.

LINK - Japan split on whale hunts, poll shows

26% of people polled agree with expeditions while 18% oppose them, and 88% have not bought whale meat in past 12 months

Edited by psyche101, 25 March 2013 - 06:22 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#199    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Saying its about tradition and Japanese cuisine is the way they justify it.  The reality is it is very much about whales -- living, intelligent, feeling beings.

We all know that is merely an excuse to tell the US not to stop Japan fishing. If they cannot fish, they will whale. That is why the 1986 moratorium fell apart.

#200    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 23 March 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

the sad thing about all this is its not actually about "whales" not really

it's about trade barriers, deficits, industrial sector employment strength, economic percentages,

it is all financial numbers in digital smoke and mirrors

Not agreed in the past with you, but I certainly do today. TV shows, elections, saving face for the US and Japan, sanctions, economic strangleholds, all play a part in this ugly game.

#201    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 March 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

We all know that is merely an excuse to tell the US not to stop Japan fishing. If they cannot fish, they will whale. That is why the 1986 moratorium fell apart.
If this is true it is morally indefensible.

#202    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

If this is true it is morally indefensible.

I agree, and it is indeed the truth.

Eventually, in June 1986, the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the administration. The deal, apparently, was sealed; in return for keeping its fishing nets full, Japan would hang up its harpoons for good.

The next month, Japan formally withdrew its objection to the whaling moratorium.

Gone west

However, on the US west coast, a completely different issue was raising its head.

In a bid to develop their own industry, US fishermen were pushing for the removal of foreign access to US waters. They were aided by a coalition of 14 NGOs led by Greenpeace who went to court against Japan, claiming its fishing methods harmed porpoises, seals and birds.

The Japanese quota plummeted. From 900,000 tonnes in 1985, it halved in 1986, then fell to 104,000 tonnes the following year. In 1988, the quota was zero; an estimated 130 Japanese fishing boats had nothing to catch.

Shigeko Misaki, who worked with Japanese IWC delegations first as an interpreter and later as an advisor, recalls great anger within the Japanese government and fishing industry at the time.

"(The US) said 'we didn't promise - we just have to give more fish to our fishermen'," she says.

"Anger is the only word that can describe it - why did America have to cheat us like that?"

Within months, Japan had announced it would begin hunting whales for scientific research, a programme that continues to this day.

LINK

As if that was not bad enough, the US said Japan was to blame for the endangered status of whales, when the US themselves, and Russia, historically accounted for far larger annual catches than Japan, and being only 30 or so years from the last war, some feeling were strong enough to allow this personal distrust to affect the entire globe, in fact Japanese goods were smashed in congress in a childish display if defiance, and now the Sea Shepherd uses this bad situation to capitalise upon.

Yes, the US is to blame for todays Whaling, no two ways about it. The way they brazenly waved the Packwood-Magnuson Amendment about sealed that deal, and we now have whaling.

#203    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Now I think you go to far -- blaming the Americans for what the Japanese are doing and could easily stop.  I have no idea what American behavior may have piqued whom, but all that is beside the point.

#204    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,960 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 March 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

LINK

As if that was not bad enough, the US said Japan was to blame for the endangered status of whales, when the US themselves, and Russia, historically accounted for far larger annual catches than Japan, and being only 30 or so years from the last war, some feeling were strong enough to allow this personal distrust to affect the entire globe, in fact Japanese goods were smashed in congress in a childish display if defiance, and now the Sea Shepherd uses this bad situation to capitalise upon.

Yes, the US is to blame for todays Whaling, no two ways about it. The way they brazenly waved the Packwood-Magnuson Amendment about sealed that deal, and we now have whaling.

Are they to blame for Iceland and Norway too?  I do understand this thread is about Japan.
While Japan took offense to the US in the late 1980's, I think they would have began whaling again.

Edited by Myles, 25 March 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#205    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

In other words they used it as an excuse.  That strikes me as far more likely.

#206    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,960 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 March 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

LINK

Not that I don't believe you, but I cannot find a year where Japan killed zero whales.  When I get time, I'll search a little more.
http://luna.pos.to/whale/sta.html

#207    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

Now I think you go to far -- blaming the Americans for what the Japanese are doing and could easily stop.  I have no idea what American behavior may have piqued whom, but all that is beside the point.

May I ask if you read the link to the BBC article, and what part of it you disagree with? I would be more than happy to discuss any part of the information you feel is incorrect.

Given the lack of any evidence that Japan is bringing its whaling activities into conformance with the recommendations of the IWC, I am directing the Secretary of State under the Packwood-Magnuson Amendment to withhold 100 percent of the fishing privileges that would otherwise be available to Japan in the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone. Japan has requested the opportunity to fish for 3,000 metric tons of sea snails and 5,000 metric tons of Pacific whiting. These requests will be denied. In addition, Japan will be barred from any future allocations of fishing privileges for any other species, including Pacific cod, until the Secretary of Commerce determines that the situation has been corrected.[54]

U.S. President Ronald Reagan, 1988

LINK

Edited by psyche101, 26 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#208    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostMyles, on 25 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Are they to blame for Iceland and Norway too?  I do understand this thread is about Japan.
While Japan took offense to the US in the late 1980's, I think they would have began whaling again.

From the supplied link:

But in bilateral discussions, the two governments reached an agreement. Japan would cease whaling in 1988, two years beyond the moratorium date, and withdraw its objection; in return, Ronald Reagan's administration agreed not to take action under Packwood-Magnuson or Pelly.

But they did take action under the Pelly amendment.

Officially, Japan had indeed agreed to cease whaling. Had they gone back then I think the situation would be much different today. Iceland and Norway never signed the moratorium, and are not members of the IWC, membership is voluntary, yet Japan still joined, and was willing to comply. But no, the US is not in any way connected to the catches by Norway and Iceland. Not Greenland either. Just the political tension with Japan.

Edited by psyche101, 26 March 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#209    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostMyles, on 25 March 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Not that I don't believe you, but I cannot find a year where Japan killed zero whales.  When I get time, I'll search a little more.
http://luna.pos.to/whale/sta.html

Good call Myles, you know more and ask better questions than the so called conservationists who claim to be all over this. I believe it is how the years are arranged (financial), as far as I know, that minke catch actually happened on February 9, 1988.

Nation Area Dates Fin Sperm Sei Brydes Minke Total 1986 (86/87) Iceland NA Jun-Sep86 76 0 40 0 0 116 Republic of Korea NP Apr-Jul86 0 0 0 0 69 69 Total 76 0 40 0 69 185 1987 (87/88) Iceland NA Jun-Sep87 80 0 20 0 0 100 Japan (pelagic) SH Jan-Mar88 0 0 0 0 273 273 Total 80 0 20 0 273 373

LINK

Japan issued itself a permit to catch them, yet before 1987, Japan did not traditionally hunt Minkes.

#210    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 March 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

In other words they used it as an excuse.  That strikes me as far more likely.

Yes, it was silly to give them one, and the Sea Shepherd gives them another each year. We need to pull that reason out from under their feet. If pride is the reason for continued Whaling, does it not stand to reason it could end Whaling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users