Sumerian Religion and Text
More on Sumerian Achievements
It is believed that the Sumerian culture invented:
- 360 degree circle
- 60 minute hour
- Potter’s wheel
- Wheeled transportation (the potter’s wheel turned on its side)
- Cooperation needed to build, repair and allocate water systems
- Bronze plow pulled by oxen
- Water wheel (like the Egyptians)
- The arch (later used and accredited to the Romans)
- Many military innovations: soldiers on horseback, war chariot, composite bow, body armor and new designs for weapons.
- Hittites were the first to use iron weapons.
- The Assyrians developed siege tactics and equipment, engines and towers (later adopted by the Romans)
- A system of rules to keep order and the authority to protect people; law
- The need to keep records of laws, trade, and financial accounts
- Excellent astronomy: star catalogues and accurate observations of planetary motion, predictions of astronomical events, lunar and solar
- Great achievements in mathematics, developed algebra, the foundation for the Greek expansion of geometry.
- The beginning of history, a written story.
- A system of writing developed called cuneiform; wedge-shaped forms which later developed into arithmetic and language.
Edited by Uncle Sam, 11 December 2012 - 10:26 AM.