Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EVP

dancin'hamster

Electric Voice Phenomena is a very grey area. Can we really pick up the voices of spirits on tape? Many people believe that we can, and some scientists in the 1950’s began to experiment to see if they could capture the sounds of long-dead friends and relatives.

It had started many years before, but the best-known researcher was and man called Friedrich Juergenson. Juergenson was a film producer who, in 1959, had decided to tape bird songs in the woodlands near where he lived. When he finished recording, he was startled to hear, in among the tweeting and chirping, his mother's voice say in German, "Friedrich, you are being watched". He became convinced that he had made an important discovery and began to devote his free time trying to capture more voices. He wrote a book on the subject titled ‘Radio Contact With The Dead’ and became the subject of both scorn and admiration amongst his peers.

Konstantin Raudive was a Latvian psychologist who treated Juergensons’ claims with a great deal of scepticism. He was intrigued and fascinated by the idea, and over several years he carried out hundreds of experiments in his laboratory. In 1971, engineers at Pye (an electrical company who made radio sets and televisions) invited Raudive to help them with a controlled experiment in a special laboratory that blocked out all external radio and television signals. Raudive spoke into a microphone, they taped his voice for approximately eighteen minutes and heard no other sounds. However, when they played the tape back, they were amazed to find hundreds of voices all talking on it.

Next to take up the challenge was a man called George Meek. He had a small laboratory in Philadelphia in 1971, and after many years interest in the paranormal, he decided to investigate EVP, Electric Voice Phenomena as it had become known. Meek was convinced that for electronic communication with the dead to really take place, he had to build a two-way radio and then went about trying to contact someone who had recently passed on. Along with some help from a medium and some electronics experts, Meek invented the ‘Spiricom’. After many months pf perseverance, they eventually contacted a man named Mueller. Mueller had been a university professor and NASA scientist. He told Meek that he had died in 1967 and gave numerous facts with which to verify his identity including the place where his death certificate could be found. All of the details he gave them were checked – and proved to be right. In October 1977, his first words were recorded on the 'Spiricom.' Tapes of the Mueller conversations were released to the public and make fascinating listening. Anyone who saw the documentary on Channel 4 back in 2001 will agree that the voice of Mueller ranges between light and pleasant, to downright threatening. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when ‘Mueller’ began to rant “Turn the god-damned machine off George – turn it off you son-of-a-b****”.

dontgetit.gif

Nice. More tea Vicar?

When the tapes were released to the public they were met with the inevitable scorn that all new ‘discoveries’ are greeted with. The problem was that the voice of the dead professor sounded just like the ‘electro’ voices on the latest pop-records, and like Metal Mickey grin2.gif .

The ‘Spiricom’ fell out of favour, and Meek never patented it. He had failed in the hope that science would carry on his work and take it to the next step. “In 1982 he held a press conference in Washington, USA, and revealed Spiricom's secrets. The conference made little impact on a largely skeptical world; in fact a large section of the media even refused to attend, so the device went largely unreported except by the tabloids who naturally poked fun. “

This is just a small snippet of information on EVP. I could waffle all day about it I really could. There have been many documentaries on EVP, but the best one (IMHO) was the 2 hour special back in the December of 2001. It featured many many people who claimed to have heard spirit voices. To me, many of the voices seem inaudible and like radio interference. Only a few really stuck in my mind. One was a recording done in an old house in Glasgow. Two cleaners had told a local researcher that the building was haunted so she set up her recording equipment. The section of tape that is heard is amazing. You hear the two cleaners nattering away about their day, and one of them says “Ooh, do you think it can see us?”, referring to the ghost. No sooner are the words out of her mouth, when a loud whisper is heard on the tape exclaiming “I can see you, I can see you”.

During a séance at the last investigation I attended, the deep voice of a man was caught on tape, sounding very angry. We all experienced a little chill when heard it. I would be very interested to know if any of you have ever caught anything similar on tape.

There are squillions of sites devoted to EVP. Have a listen and see what you think!

Hammy x x x

http://www.ghostweb.com/evp.html

http://www.alphaland.com/evp.htm

http://www.ghostwave.com/Ughs2.html

http://spiritsearchers.homestead.com/evps.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• Lionel

• the Yank

• LittleIrishVampiress

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a discussion here awhile ago with a supposed recording, see if u guys can hear anything, I couldn’t sad.gif

CLICK HERE

DH, I have heard quite a few recordings but was never convinced. It’s really very difficult to say if that was the voice of the dead or not.

Edited by Lionel

Nope.........me neither.........

I think perhaps that the vast majority of EVPs' are subjective, not objective.

I think people hear what they want to hear.Theres always alot of background noises in EVP`s

I'm very doubtful about the phenomena, too, Hams.

There is one case of BBC engineers leaving a tape machine in a supposedly haunted RAF base, and getting a tape full of all sorts of strange noises. That, to me, is what should constitute a proper recording.

But the new trend seems to be about getting a tape, messing with it electronically, cleaning up the sound, and then pointing to a slight sound on the recording and saying...`See!! Hear that?!' rolleyes.gif

The whole phenomena is a hoaxers dream.

I've never tried to get EVPs before... I think I'll go do some random picture taking this evening, only this time I'll bring my little digital audio-recorder with me.

I know it isn't the most high tech piece of equipment, but it can't hurt to try it out. thumbsup.gif

i think that as always it started off as a genuine phenomena, but then everyone else started to hoax 'em to gain a bit o' cash or attention. i think its possible, tis a shame tho that theres so many untruthful people out there sad.gif they ruin everything disgust.gif

Yank ~ did you catch anything on your hunt the other night?