Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Japan experts to OK animal-human embryos test

animal-human embryos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,447 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Proposed experiments with animal-human embryos cleared the first regulatory hurdle Tuesday, reports said, as Japanese scientists seek permission for tests that could see human organs produced inside the growing body of an animal.

http://phys.org/news...ic-embryos.html

Posted Image

#2    EtherialNight

EtherialNight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

Something rather unsavoury about this..

#3    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,327 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostEtherialNight, on 23 June 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Something rather unsavoury about this..
a child dying of liver faliure probably wouldn't think so.....

"well we've ruined all the good bits, and cut down all the trees, and dumped the radiation into the deep blue seas.
we've ploughed up so much country just to get from A to B, just to move that little bit faster, in our five-speed luxuries-
just to move that little bit closer, to the world on your tv's."
-Culture Shock-

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

View Postshrooma, on 23 June 2013 - 02:07 AM, said:

a child dying of liver faliure probably wouldn't think so.....

You have a good point, however I hope the day comes when we can "grow" organs from the donor cells of the individual patient, where rejection will not be a problem and where we will not get into some of the ethical issues this could raise. For example, I suppose it's possible we could introduce new animal diseases into humans this way. But this may be a stopgap in the meantime and could save human lives.

#5    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,327 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostSundew, on 23 June 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

I hope the day comes when we can "grow" organs from the donor cells of the individual patient, where rejection will not be a problem and where we will not get into some of the ethical issues this could raise.
so do I sundew.
the only ethical objections so far are of the 'scientists playing god' type, which is why a lot of stem cell research on humans is banned outright, but believe me, if it were THEIR children dying from something that could be cured by grown organs, the protesters would be the first ones kicking down the lab doors to get some!
when children are dying, NOT researching the best way to save them is unethical in my eyes.
it's unethical in the eyes of everyone WITH eyes!
save the dying, and let the naysayers be damned.....

"well we've ruined all the good bits, and cut down all the trees, and dumped the radiation into the deep blue seas.
we've ploughed up so much country just to get from A to B, just to move that little bit faster, in our five-speed luxuries-
-Culture Shock-

#6    Theater of Dreams

Theater of Dreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• 'Open your eyes, Victoria!'

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

While this is now extremely controversial, it will benefit many people on their deathbeds, and hopefully will be a procedure that won't stay around too long. With the rate science and technology advances, who knows of what methods we could come up with next?

Dream Theater

#7    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think this is a great approach. Besides being the perfect meat providers, pigs are also the perfect environment to grow human body parts. Pigs are mankind best helper. The perfect animal.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

I wonder if those whose religion prohibits pork would be able to accept a transplant from a pig.  The immediate reaction is bound to be a knee-jerk rejection, but if you think about it, it really is two very different things.

I cringe when someone refers to scientists "playing God."  That is an impossibility and conveys a serious ignorance of science.

#9    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think it would be a wonderful reality test for those stupid religious superstitions. If religionists believe that some ancient god wants them to die, rather than make use of modern medicine... fine, let them! However, any attempt by them to make this decision for their children should not be tolerated. Not in the enlightened modern world.

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

They have tried this before.  No matter what they did the pig rejected the human organ.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 June 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I think it would be a wonderful reality test for those stupid religious superstitions. If religionists believe that some ancient god wants them to die, rather than make use of modern medicine... fine, let them! However, any attempt by them to make this decision for their children should not be tolerated. Not in the enlightened modern world.

So you want to hold a gun to somebodies head and force them to do what you think is right.  Hello future tyrant.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think god is guiding the hands of the scientests.

#13    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postdanielost, on 23 June 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

So you want to hold a gun to somebodies head and force them to do what you think is right.  Hello future tyrant.

I don´t know what you mean. Who wants to force anybody to think anything? (Well, some religionists do, but that is a different topic.)
What are you prattling about?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,972 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 June 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

You said that the children of parents who don't like the organs grown in pigs, should not make said choice for the kids.  In otherwards transplant organs over parentel wishes.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,327 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postdanielost, on 23 June 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

I think god is guiding the hands of the scientests.
if only other believers thought that way too daniel.....

-Culture Shock-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users