Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prescription Drug Abuse On the Rise

Render

ScienceDaily (Oct. 15, 2012) — Research presented at the ANESTHESIOLOGY™ 2012 annual meeting showed while there has been an encouraging decline in illicit drug abuse across most major metropolitan areas in recent years, prescription drug abuse is climbing.

"The harsh reality is prescription drug abuse has become a growing problem in our society," said Dr. Buvanendran. "We hope the results of this study will aid physicians in effectively treating patients who struggle with prescription drug abuse, as well as encourage widespread patient education about the safe use, storage and disposal of medications."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121015131545.htm

Prescription drug use is OVERLY encouraged... look at all of the commercials on television and magazines, etc.

this post may cause dizzyness, nausea, erectile disfunction, irregular heart rate, pimples, and knobby knees.

do not read while operating machinery.

• Like 3

Thank you LIGHTLY for the excellent perspective.

The american people, at least those who watch TV or read newspapers, are inundated with ads for all sorts of drugs, and strong suggestions that these drugs will make life easier. Not counting the possible side effects that you mention.

Humans LOVE to consume substances that will make life easier or better, whether those substances do or don't achieve that goal.

Humans LOVE to alter their consciousness, for a million different reasons. So do other members of the animal kingdom.

If the corporations that produce Oxycontin and certain other drugs had one scintilla of conscience, they would pull that product off the market. If the FDA actually wanted to help and protect society, it would ORDER certain of those drugs be removed.

Thank you LIGHTLY for the excellent perspective.

The american people, at least those who watch TV or read newspapers, are inundated with ads for all sorts of drugs, and strong suggestions that these drugs will make life easier. Not counting the possible side effects that you mention.

Humans LOVE to consume substances that will make life easier or better, whether those substances do or don't achieve that goal.

Humans LOVE to alter their consciousness, for a million different reasons. So do other members of the animal kingdom.

If the corporations that produce Oxycontin and certain other drugs had one scintilla of conscience, they would pull that product off the market. If the FDA actually wanted to help and protect society, it would ORDER certain of those drugs be removed.

Oxycontin should not be pulled off the market. WTH? It is just percocet that is time released. The time released aspect is what makes it great for people with chronic pain and also what increases the chances for abuse because if you break the pill apart the time release does not work and you get really high. Since when do we blame corporations for our own lack of self control? Also, I do not understand this fixation with blaming advertisers who are just doing their job for brainwashing us into buying products. I mean, have you no will of your own?

• Like 1

Why buy illegal street drugs that can contain poison additives AND get you thrown in jail when your good ole Uncle Sam will provide your daily "take a trip and never leave the farm" for a small participation fee in Obamacare.

FurtherBB

I have plenty of will power of my own, thanks for asking. This is not about me, it is about rational public policy, or in this case, corporate policy.

I have been prescribed and taken Oxy in various forms several times. While it is effective for pain, I do not care for the other effects, but that is personal. I completely understand and respect that many users get great relief from the drug. Not having a PDR handy, and not wanting to take the time to find out, I think it's a little different than just Percodan with time release. That part doesn't matter so much.

What does matter is that Oxy is not the only effective analgesic on the shelf. Yes, it is a good one, but we've had morphine for way more than 100 years. IMO, morphine was far more effective than Oxy when administered to me.

I wonder if you remember before 1997 or so when Rx preparations COULD NOT be advertised to the public at large? They could be advertised ONLY in professional publications. That is a little bit beside the point, but only in response to your post.

The point is that the drug causes a very long list of social pathologies. I know too many people in my home town whose daughter, son or nephew has died from overdose at the hands of Oxy. It reminds me of my youth when Quaaludes were so popular. I loved them, but at least had the good sense to know not to drive after taking it. Quite a few friends did not. Too many cases of manslaughter by vehicle, under the influence.

Eventually Quaalude was taken off the market in the US. Whether by the manufacturer or by the FDA, it was no longer produced.

That is what they should do with Oxy IMO. There ARE other pain killers out there, and it might sound cruel, but pain is part of the human condition. All things must pass.

FurtherBB

I have plenty of will power of my own, thanks for asking. This is not about me, it is about rational public policy, or in this case, corporate policy.

I have been prescribed and taken Oxy in various forms several times. While it is effective for pain, I do not care for the other effects, but that is personal. I completely understand and respect that many users get great relief from the drug. Not having a PDR handy, and not wanting to take the time to find out, I think it's a little different than just Percodan with time release. That part doesn't matter so much.

What does matter is that Oxy is not the only effective analgesic on the shelf. Yes, it is a good one, but we've had morphine for way more than 100 years. IMO, morphine was far more effective than Oxy when administered to me.

I wonder if you remember before 1997 or so when Rx preparations COULD NOT be advertised to the public at large? They could be advertised ONLY in professional publications. That is a little bit beside the point, but only in response to your post.

The point is that the drug causes a very long list of social pathologies. I know too many people in my home town whose daughter, son or nephew has died from overdose at the hands of Oxy. It reminds me of my youth when Quaaludes were so popular. I loved them, but at least had the good sense to know not to drive after taking it. Quite a few friends did not. Too many cases of manslaughter by vehicle, under the influence.

Eventually Quaalude was taken off the market in the US. Whether by the manufacturer or by the FDA, it was no longer produced.

That is what they should do with Oxy IMO. There ARE other pain killers out there, and it might sound cruel, but pain is part of the human condition. All things must pass.

Well, I know for sure that it is just oxycodone (brand name percocet) with extended release and so does pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0000589/

Also, Quaaludes were not effective enough to justify keeping them on the market when the potential for abuse was so high in the US and Britain. That is not the case for Oxycontin and morphine has been abused for longer than it has been a marketed drug, what is the difference? Also morphine is more dangerous and has a higher potential for addiction, not to mention you have to take higher and higher doses of it to get the same benefit so it is not as good for chronic pain. Do you know that some people have a gene that makes them process opioids too rapidly and can die from even very small doses?

Edited by FurthurBB

FurtherBB

Alcohol is far more destructive IMO........Humans are going to abuse something regardless. If someone is going to wreck their life they are going to wreck it. But eliminating a legitimate pain relieving RX because of morons is stupid. You can't save everybody..........

• Like 1

Maybe illegal drug use is down because they are going to prescription drugs.

Thanks Babe, i manage to make a relevant point on rare occasions ... as do you with this very good one:

"I wonder if you remember before 1997 or so when Rx preparations COULD NOT be advertised to the public at large? They could be advertised ONLY in professional publications. "

I had forgotten that, or never noticed, (because i've managed to remain pharmaceutical free my entire life..except for numbing agents at the dentist.. *and do anti-biotics count? .. and after a minor surgery,i was prescribed enough pain pills to last ..several days?.. but only took one of them and didn't like em. The pain wasn't all that bad.. so i took aspirin, which still works best for me as an over the counter pain med).

but anyway .. Good Point!

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Well, I know for sure that it is just oxycodone (brand name percocet) with extended release and so does pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0000589/

Also, Quaaludes were not effective enough to justify keeping them on the market when the potential for abuse was so high in the US and Britain. That is not the case for Oxycontin and morphine has been abused for longer than it has been a marketed drug, what is the difference? Also morphine is more dangerous and has a higher potential for addiction, not to mention you have to take higher and higher doses of it to get the same benefit so it is not as good for chronic pain. Do you know that some people have a gene that makes them process opioids too rapidly and can die from even very small doses?

If you admit that potential for abuse should be part of the analysis of ANY drug, and I agree with that general position, then it cannot be denied that Oxy has demonstrated over 10 years or more that its POTENTIAL for abuse has indeed been fulfilled, in a very big way. It might be safe to say that it is THE MOST ABUSED prescription drug on the market. At least that's the way it is here in Florida.

Alcohol is far more destructive IMO........Humans are going to abuse something regardless. If someone is going to wreck their life they are going to wreck it. But eliminating a legitimate pain relieving RX because of morons is stupid. You can't save everybody..........

I agree with most of what you say, but what you say raises the question of whether the government has any obligation at all to consider any penalties that society at large might pay for certain products? Does the FDA has any obligation to protect society at large?

I'm sure they would say they did.

So, if it can be demonstrated that society at large pays a dear price so that some people can have the very best analgesic, and that there are many many many analgesics on the market, should the FDA step in to minimize the damage to society at large?

Should the manufacturer take any steps to minimize that damage?

That was basically the rationale during the Quaalude fiasco all those years ago. If the FDA is supposed to protect society, then it should step in and fulfill its obligation.

Certainly if Oxy were the only analgesic available the case would be different, but it's not. It's potential for abuse has been demonstrated over and over again.

It started with children's aspirin, the evil gateway drug that it is. 22 dark years later I had thoroughly progressed from Primatine Mist to Nyquil to No doze to Sominex and then...the hard stuff. First Lorezapam but that made me depressed so I needed Wellbutrin but that made me so manic I injured my back trying to move the living room furniture around one day. Next thing I know my Dr. was telling me all my problems would be solved if I just took a few Vicodin a day...That was a few years ago, now I break my bones to get more. Looking back, I see that it was all part of their diabolical plan... :ph34r:

• Like 2

It's not just the TV commercials, but the Doctors readiness to write a 'script for every ailment. Of course, spend a few minutes in a Doctors office parking lot, and watch the sheer amount of 'drug' reps that stream in and out. The pressure to push drugs to the populace is huge, because the money is huge.

I suppose it's every patients duty to ask if there are any alternatives to the prescription, but I'm sure that doesn't happen as often as it should.

I have a strong aversion to doctor offices, to many sick people. all these pills, meds, placeabos, snake oils, and sugar pills they hand out just seem to cover the symptoms. It's not in the docs. best intrest to have you walking around healthy and happy let alone the drug companies.

and we humans have a horrible history of abusing anything that helps us escape reality for alittle while be it huffing glue fumes,smoking pot or trolling internet fourms. so drug companies do what they do and we do what we do and hope we live long enough to be a burden to our grandkids.

• Like 2

Yeah, I can definitly see prescription drug abuse on the rise, especially with Oxy's(and similar) as well as the benzos.

My own experience, was two-fold.

I had injured my back several times, given percocet or Oxy's and found that even after I didn't REALLY need it any more, I had enough left over from the prescription that I took it recreationally till I ran out a few days later. I did not seek more because I knew of it's dangers, and I was not in any more back pain. But it did feel good.

Then, years later I developed a severe anxiety disorder(totally unrelated to the pain meds) which put me in the ER and was given Lorazepam(Ativan), which worked wonders.

Where I live, though, the docs no longer like prescribing benzos(except in the ER), so I started drinking alcohol to relieve my anxiety.

This resulted in a couple DUI's and eventually a 30-day treatment for alcohol(about 4-years ago)

What surprised me was that in the treatment center, 90% of the patients there were there not for alcohol, but for prescription drug abuse.

That treatment center only handles alcohol and prescription addictions, not, say, meth.

Anyway, again, I was surprised(probably naive) as to how many there were in for Oxy addictions; recreational use.

Sorry for the long post. I could say much more about how my anxiety got handled, but I'll stick to the topic.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

It's not just the TV commercials, but the Doctors readiness to write a 'script for every ailment. Of course, spend a few minutes in a Doctors office parking lot, and watch the sheer amount of 'drug' reps that stream in and out. The pressure to push drugs to the populace is huge, because the money is huge.

I suppose it's every patients duty to ask if there are any alternatives to the prescription, but I'm sure that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Yes, the M in M.D. stands for Medical (medicine).

If you get a chance to see the movie Love and Other Drugs with Ann Hathaway, see it. It depicts JUST what you are talking about.

• 2 months later...

Prescription Drug Misuse Remains a Top Public Health Concern

Jan. 8, 2013 — Prescription drug misuse is second only to marijuana as the nation's most prevalent illicit drug problem, with approximately 22 million persons nationwide initiating nonmedical pain reliever use since 2002, according to a report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). The report also shows variations in use by state, with combined 2010 and 2011 data indicating that rates of past year misuse among those aged 12 or older ranged from 3.6 percent in Iowa to 6.4 percent in Oregon.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130108122445.htm

So what

So what

So someone dies every 19 minutes in the US from prescription drug abuse. Where's the prohibitionists at now? Oh they won't show up this time, because they like drugs.