Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Demonic Possesion just Psychological ?

LostSouls7

OK So people have different views on this. In modern times they say demonic possesion is just a mental breakdown or psychological. But some stories about when people are posseed and have a different voice or super human strength sounds more than just being in the mind right?

I know some things like schizonphrenia can let you see or hear things that are not there.

But what about people who change and become very strong and violent?

What do you think of this???

Is it all in the mind? Or is there more to demonic possesion?

• Like 1

I think there's more to demonic possession, the whole strength thing and voice changing is a clue right there

• Like 2

Yeah or when they speak in a language they never knew before.

I know some mental illness is similar to possesion.

But not everything I think.

I think it's probably all in the mind. But sometimes with some stories there's enough weird that I pause and wonder how in the heck did that mind come up with that?

• Like 2

But some stories about when people are posseed and have a different voice or super human strength sounds more than just being in the mind right?

Superhuman strength? It's amazing what adrenaline can do. Different voices? These can be faked easily, or it could be an unknown neurological phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia....accent_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Xenoglossy

This seems more plausible than malevolent daemons possessing a body.

• Like 7

I own a wonky brain and you will not believe what a chemical imbalance can do. It is all I can do right now to keep from pounding on my neighbor like demon. It is one thing to mess with me, but don't mess with my friends. I had to take a chill pill and it is just barely working.

• Like 4

Anythings better than saying its demonic possession, am I right?

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x
  • Like 2

Anythings better than saying its demonic possession, am I right?

I'm guessing you have never been married to the wrong person?

I'm guessing you have never been married to the wrong person?

Married no but Iv had girlfriends that appeared they were the right hand of the devil. But here's a link

http://www.reasons.o...onic-possession

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

• 8 months later...

I know some things like schizonphrenia can let you see or hear things that are not there.

I'm not convinced.

Have you heard stories about people lifting cars off their loved ones after a crash? Was A really kind demon was helping them then?

We don't know what we're capable off until we try (and read redhen's post).

Besides, I haven't seen a video which suggests some kind of demonic strength is involved, Like a victim lifting a tractor and throwing it 30 feet into the air, that'd be pretty demonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHb4gs1hwck

What are all those people doing in the video? (Sorry if you don't like the music). See what intense emotions can do to people?

• Like 1

I don't think of demonic possession so much as the person gaining incredible strength. But when there body contorts in certain ways that are not common for that person. Now for people that don't believe in demons this the thought of demonic possession is not gonna go through there heads. Schizophrenia is different from demonic possession in that schizophrenia can be treated with certain meds. So say a person is hearing voices in there head, goes to the doc and gets put on meds. If that person is still hearing voices is it a result of not being on the right meds or is it something else. There was an episode of criminal minds, where this 25 year old was seeing 3 different people at the same time. His mother had brought him to get an excorcism but what he was hallucinating was still there. Eventually he gets put in a hospital and they did electro shock therapy on him and after they put him back in his room the three people immediately appear again.

OK So people have different views on this. In modern times they say demonic possesion is just a mental breakdown or psychological. But some stories about when people are posseed and have a different voice or super human strength sounds more than just being in the mind right?

Is it all in the mind? Or is there more to demonic possesion?

It's all psychological. Most of the time is probably corresponds with mental illness. I've yet to see any proven claims of superhuman strength or anything else going along with a 'possession', and I believe that the default position until proven otherwise, should be that of a naturalistic explanation.

• Like 1

For certain, there have been numerous documented cases of stable individuals exhibiting what appears to be "superhuman" strength, especially if a loved-one is involved.

This does not negate that fact that the "lifter" might suffer from serious injury(back injury) though, at the time, they might feel no significant pain at all to continue the rescue event. Adrenaline, yes. That's one of the purposes of that(and other) hormones racing through the body during an emergency.

What is often not reported is that the "lifter" had to go to the ER. So, the complete facts may not be available.

Moderate to severe mental illness(of particular types) is another cause for a supposed "demonic" possession.

This in one primary reason why some churches require a psych-evaluation before going further.

• Like 1

I believe it to be in the mind. I know that many mentally ill/challenged people who acted out were seen as demonically possessed. People are saying things about different voices and languages which is interesting.

The voice thing isn't too out there however, anyone can change their voice; however the language thing is a but more complex but I do know of people being hit in the head and talking in foreign languages but it's obviously rare.

I've a problem with people reporting incidents of them being witness to a demonic possession because anybody can say such things and many have done so for monetary gain or fame (or both) - sometimes even to scare others.

I saw this Televangelist show and some guy in the crowd was pretending to be possessed and everyone there believed it but we all know that Televangelists are con-men and only the gullible actually believe such ****.

Anyone have any video's or good evidence of possessions? Things that we can all prod for authenticity - none of that 'Dr such-and-so' said 'this-and-that'.

I believe it to be in the mind. I know that many mentally ill/challenged people who acted out were seen as demonically possessed. People are saying things about different voices and languages which is interesting.

The voice thing isn't too out there however, anyone can change their voice; however the language thing is a but more complex but I do know of people being hit in the head and talking in foreign languages but it's obviously rare.

I've a problem with people reporting incidents of them being witness to a demonic possession because anybody can say such things and many have done so for monetary gain or fame (or both) - sometimes even to scare others.

I saw this Televangelist show and some guy in the crowd was pretending to be possessed and everyone there believed it but we all know that Televangelists are con-men and only the gullible actually believe such ****.

Anyone have any video's or good evidence of possessions? Things that we can all prod for authenticity - none of that 'Dr such-and-so' said 'this-and-that'.

You have evidence of people being hit on the head and speaking a foreign language that they never knew anything about prior to getting hit on the head?

I think there is more to possession ..... Bible is literally full of it ... don't know about Koran or other religious texts... there is also this retired Italian cardinal who was very close to the Pope and he claims to have completed 2000 exorcisms. I believe in other entities , maybe some can enter our body ?

I own a wonky brain and you will not believe what a chemical imbalance can do. It is all I can do right now to keep from pounding on my neighbor like demon. It is one thing to mess with me, but don't mess with my friends. I had to take a chill pill and it is just barely working.

Changes in small amount of minerals can cause major havok in human body. In my case, I managed to stop the psych med, once I found out that zinc can do better.

I think there is more to possession ..... Bible is literally full of it ... don't know about Koran or other religious texts... there is also this retired Italian cardinal who was very close to the Pope and he claims to have completed 2000 exorcisms. I believe in other entities , maybe some can enter our body ?

There's a popular Catholic priest among Korean Catholics in So Cal, and he was ordained as an exorcist by the Vatican.

And yeah, he is definitely full of it. And that was why I abandoned all hope for Catholic church completely.

I have not witnessed "demonic" possession, so there is nothing I can responsibly say about that.

Do I believe in it? Yes. I believe in the rare possibility. However, that's just my own belief, no proof at all.

I do feel that, if true in a specific circumstance, it's a very serious event that needs to be handled carefully.

Just my opinion.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I highly doubt legit possession, unless your inner demons get to strong to deal with. A druggie without their fix is quite the possessed individual. I wonder how many of the "possessions" come to highly religious people?

I believe it to be in the mind. I know that many mentally ill/challenged people who acted out were seen as demonically possessed. People are saying things about different voices and languages which is interesting

Just remember that is 2 different categories you are speaking about. I'm mentally ill, but I'm not mentally challenged. Two totally different things. :tu:

• Like 1

That link says that people develop foreign accents, but it also says that people suffering from this condition do NOT start speaking in a foreign language

That link says that people develop foreign accents, but it also says that people suffering from this condition do NOT start speaking in a foreign language

Pretty sure there are no authenticated cases of anyone speaking foreign languages randomly.