Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Term 'Illegal Immigrant' dropped by press

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

View Postaztek, on 03 April 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

do you have strong evidence of him not telling the facts, or you just cherypicking his words cuz you don't like what he says??
I wasn't cherrypicking at all; I responded to the whole phrase. And I asked him a question, because from a different point of view, many Americans (and by that I mean all people living in the Americas, not only US Americans) are the descendants of invaders.

#17    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,474 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

I wasn't cherrypicking at all; I responded to the whole phrase. And I asked him a question, because from a different point of view, many Americans (and by that I mean all people living in the Americas, not only US Americans) are the descendants of invaders.
Likely the same for many many inhabitants of other countries around the world. That was all hundreds of years ago. Not one person alive today had a single thing to do with that stuff. Also, your statement isn't true. It's not all people. No ancestor of mine was in the America's until the mid to late 1800's.

Posted Image

#18    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Indeed, And I only said many, not all.

I only meant to say that it depends on your point of view.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 03 April 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#19    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,765 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Just FYI...immigration regulation didn't start until 1875.

#20    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,300 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Since every square inch of land lived on by anyone was likely taken from someone else, who isn't this true for.

#21    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostMichelle, on 03 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Just FYI...immigration regulation didn't start until 1875.
I am well aware of that, but it has nothing to do with my point. People before 1875 were immigrating for the same reasons than after (a better life). The difference is that a certain kind of people (mainly uneducated) have little to no chance of immigrating these days.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 03 April 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#22    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostOverSword, on 03 April 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Since every square inch of land lived on by anyone was likely taken from someone else, who isn't this true for.
As I say, it's all down to your point of view. I'm not trying to paint an evil picture of anyone here.

#23    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,474 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 03 April 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Indeed, And I only said many, not all.

I only meant to say that it depends on your point of view.
Gotcha. Looked like you kind of said both but I digress. We could have common ancestry for all we know. I'm mainly German/Hungarian and supposedly have a little native American blood in my veins though nobody knows that for sure.

Posted Image

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,765 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 03 April 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

I am well aware of that, but it has nothing to do with my point. People before 1875 were immigrating for the same reasons than after (a better life). The difference is that a certain kind of people (mainly uneducated) have little to no chance of immigrating these days.

I wasn't arguing with you. I just threw it out there as one of those useless facts that collect in my head. :P

I would have to disagree with your second point. I know a restaurant that hires unskilled immigrants that are working towards their citizenship. The immigrants have sponsors that help them get started here.

#25    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,069 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

And yet again it must be explained that this is not a criminal act. It's only criminal if caught crossing the border or a few other circumstances. Immigration is a CIVIL statute. Do you call issues before a CIVIL court criminal? I think not. Most Americans have no idea what these terms mean. It's the good ol boy theory of everything.

While every crime violates the law, not every violation of the law counts as a crime; for example: breaches of contract and of other civil law may rank as "offences" or as "infractions". Modern societies generally regard crimes as offences against the public or the state, as distinguished from torts (wrongs against private parties that can give rise to a civil cause of action).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#26    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

View Postninjadude, on 04 April 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

And yet again it must be explained that this is not a criminal act. It's only criminal if caught crossing the border or a few other circumstances. Immigration is a CIVIL statute. Do you call issues before a CIVIL court criminal? I think not. Most Americans have no idea what these terms mean. It's the good ol boy theory of everything.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know. I am saying that if you're right, that's such a crock of legal manure that it's unbelievable.

Robbing a bank is criminal only if you are caught in the act. Having the money afterward is a civil issue.

Rape is criminal if someone catches you with your penis where it doesn't belong. Finding your DNA there afterward is just a civil issue.

Murder... you get what I'm saying.

Edited by sam12six, 04 April 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#27    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I find it interesting that the AP never says how they are going to refer to these people in the future or are they just going to refuse to run any story about said people and pretend it is not a problem?

they are probably just going to put all immigrants in the same catagory wether legal or illegal. which should p*** off every legal immigrant but since the AP won't tell us who is who we won't be able to tell.

Edited by MiskatonicGrad, 04 April 2013 - 06:43 AM.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#28    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,069 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Postsam12six, on 04 April 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know. I am saying that if you're right, that's such a crock of legal manure that it's unbelievable.

Robbing a bank is criminal only if you are caught in the act. Having the money afterward is a civil issue.

Rape is criminal if someone catches you with your penis where it doesn't belong. Finding your DNA there afterward is just a civil issue.

Murder... you get what I'm saying.

at least you don't know. But you're wrong. The offenses you describe are not civil offenses.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#29    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,810 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postninjadude, on 04 April 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

at least you don't know. But you're wrong. The offenses you describe are not civil offenses.
only if you wanna see it that way.they crossed the border ILLEGALY, that is enough to call them criminals. they broke federal law, not some civil regulations, they commited federal crime, (yea that what happens when you brake federal law).so spare us your bs. they are CRIMINALS, plain and simple.

you can call a civil offence those that came in legaly and still here with expired visa, that i could somehow understand, but border jumpers are CRIMINALS. in pretty much every country.

Edited by aztek, 04 April 2013 - 07:18 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#30    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postninjadude, on 04 April 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

That was pretty much the point. What sense does it make that something is a criminal offense if you're caught in the act but a civil offense if you're caught after the fact?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users