Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do the symbols on this stone mean?

CuriousPerson

Hello,

A friend came across this stone while in Girona. The stone is being used as a step down into a very old cellar at the moment, however, we think the stone was moved from somewhere else, possibly from the church which is next door - part of it was knocked down. But that is just our speculation.

We have no idea how old the stone is, or which way up it is supposed to be. We also don't know how much of the stone is missing, so large parts of those symbols could be missing.

Ideas we have so far is that they may be masonic symbols.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Looks awfully clean to have been used very long in a cellar.

The top part of the main symbol looks like a papal cross. That is clearly blended with others, but I'm not sure what those others might be.

• Like 2

I've never seen Masonic symbols like those (but then again, no - I'm not a Mason) - Looks like they could have just been "doodles"...

Perhaps it was once part of a wall and some one long ago had too much time on their hands...

or it's the secrets of the universe... I could go either way on this...

• Like 1

It looks like a fragment of a much larger slate. Unless you get the rest it will be hard to tell.

• Like 2

It looks like a fragment of a much larger slate.

Yes, it is possible that the two symbols we see at the top are not complete - they may just be small parts of much larger symbols.

• Like 1

at this rate its hard to speculate cause as they say it looks like just a fragment of a much larger slate but about the carvings, looks dont beyond a century.

• Like 1

Neat symbols. Have no idea what they mean, and won't even hazard a guess.

• Like 1

I do think they are masonic symbols since I have studied masonic symbols before, I wonder if there's more to the stone slab.

Edited by Alexandra NightShade
  • Like 1

The top of the big symbol in the middle actually looks a bit like a demonic summoning symbol. http://imgur.com/r/WTF/WC2E3

Have a look at the symbol Befafes on the second line down.

I've also read that inverted triangles are used for summoning.....but of course they could also be lots of other things too.

I did further research of the area in Girona, and the first in habitats were the Iberians, who did engrave things in stone. Their still trying to decipher some of the language written on stone slabs.

• Like 1

They don't look like any masonic symbols I have ever seen and since one thing that masons were good at was carving stone the 'roughness' and lack of precision or symmetry and the fact that 'straight' lines are not straight makes me doubt very much that they are masonic. as a few people have said before, it just looks like a fragment with too much missing to get any real meaning from it but for some reason I think it is upside down - don't ask me exactly why but I think it is meant to be the other way up.

• Like 2