Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Luke 19:27

Abramelin

I've had this verse pointed out to me when i was railing against Islamic tenets. I said that Christians did not kill those who did not want to convert. This verse was given as proof that Christians DO believe in killing those who don't convert - I reject this. I don't know what His intent was in this verse but I do know that He will put ALL things under His control when He returns. It will be a Kingdom in the truest historical sense. He will be an absolute dictator of the planet and will do what is right for us. This is why people will actually try to fight Him - they will not want to lose their "freedom" to sin even though it causes suffering and pain and death.

It's part of a story he was telling. Starts in Luke 19:11

http://bible.cc/luke/19-11.htm

OK, so I don't get it.

26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+19&version=KJV

Did Jesus agree with what was said in this socalled parable?

OK, so I don't get it.

26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

http://www.biblegate... 19&version=KJV

Did Jesus agree with what was said in this socalled parable?

I dunno, man. It's all just meaningless BS to me anyway.

• Like 2

I dunno, man. It's all just meaningless BS to me anyway.

This BS rules our planet, so I thought I ask some questions.

• Like 2

This BS rules our planet, so I thought I ask some questions.

Hey, I with you on that one. It's pathetic that 2000 year old jewish fairy tales even matter today.

• Like 1

Hey, I with you on that one. It's pathetic that 2000 year old jewish fairy tales even matter today.

And when you even dare to question some odd saying by one of our socalled 'holy men', AND use the wrong words...ah, forget it.

Matthew 10:34.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

35 "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';

36 "and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'

Matthew 10:34. "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

35 "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';

The guy didn't come to bring peace at all.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

And when you even dare to question some odd saying by one of our socalled 'holy men', AND use the wrong words...ah, forget it.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

Matthew 10:34. "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

It's sickening to see some peoples devotion to an ancient cult.

• Like 2

This thread, I believe, is about a Bible passage, not about whether you like or dislike what religion has done to our world. We’re only on page 1 of this, so hopefully we can bring this back on topic now. Thanks,

~ Paranoid Android

• Like 2

This thread, I believe, is about a Bible passage, not about whether you like or dislike what religion has done to our world. We’re only on page 1 of this, so hopefully we can bring this back on topic now. Thanks,

~ Paranoid Android

Good.

The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them — bring them here and kill them in front of me.

http://bible.cc/luke/19-27.htm

Can someone explain to me what Jesus meant with this?

A defiant challenge? He wanted his enemies brought before him and because someone might try to kill him, so that he may forgive them?

I don't know. I'm an agnostic. I'm just asking questions too.

Edited to add: I have an unfortunate number of posts.

Edited by Likely Guy

Good.

The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.

I thought the topic was to get opinions on what Jesus meant when he said a particular phrase. Your approach here seems to dismiss any opinion that disagrees with your statement.

Things would go a lot smoother if you said what you really meant to begin with.

I thought the topic was to get opinions on what Jesus meant when he said a particular phrase. Your approach here seems to dismiss any opinion that disagrees with your statement.

Things would go a lot smoother if you said what you really meant to begin with.

I just told you my opinion about what Jesus said.

A defiant challenge? He wanted his enemies brought before him and because someone might try to kill him, so that he may forgive them?

I don't know. I'm an agnostic. I'm just asking questions too.

Edited to add: I have an unfortunate number of posts.

Uhm, well, he wanted his pals to bring his enemies before him, and then that they should 'slaughter' them.

All of that in good faith, of course.

I just told you my opinion about what Jesus said.

I agree, but the way you phrased “The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.” left no room for anyone who may disagree with you.

Incidentally I agree with you in that Jesus wasn’t ONLY about love and peace, I just think using a parable (a fictitious story) is a poor way to make your point. Just my opinion…

~ PA

As with many Biblical references, I would read this in a metaphorical sense as "Good will triumph over evil."

It's as "A mighty fortress is our God." is not intended to imply He is made of bricks. :tu:

• Like 1

I agree, but the way you phrased “The topic: Jesus wasn't all about 'love and peace'.” left no room for anyone who may disagree with you.

Incidentally I agree with you in that Jesus wasn’t ONLY about love and peace, I just think using a parable (a fictitious story) is a poor way to make your point. Just my opinion…

~ PA

I left room enough, I am not the one telling you what to post or not.

Ok, so it was just a parable, like Imaginarynumber1 already said.

But it ends kind of... weird:

Like it's not a parable at all.

Edited by Abramelin

I understand what this one means. It means that the teachings of Jesus will be rejected and that by believing in them, by converting, etc.. you will become a problem in your very own household.

• Like 1

I left room enough, I am not the one telling you what to post or not.

Ok, so it was just a parable, like Imaginarynumber1 already said.

But it ends kind of... weird:

Like it's not a parable at all.

Yes, he is purported to have said this, but in what sense? Was the entire gospel recorded verbatim? Did it include any nuances?

"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

Was spoken before he was to be put to death. Did he mean that he would forgive them and they would not be put to death, unlike the death that he was about to submit to?

Alas, that's a question with no answer.

Edited by Likely Guy

As for the OP I don't ever remember reading this one, I assume pastors do not mention it in bible study because it doesn't sound too Jesus like at all... I personally do not take every scripture at face value, I accept the concepts that agree with me and that suits me just fine. I know that they 'the people who put the bible together' picked and chose from scripture that fit their agenda, and this agenda, killing and war, in the name of God should be fine. This may be one of those scriptures. In my opinion, they take these things and twist them, just like news media does etc... I will look up commentary and see if anything on the internet has a better idea about this statement in Luke 19:27.

I understand what this one means. It means that the teachings of Jesus will be rejected and that by believing in them, by converting, etc.. you will become a problem in your very own household.

I have discussed religious topics with members of my family, my neighbours and my friends, but they never became my enemies.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, this is a parable. You have to read the whole story. Read all of Luke 19, its just a parable. He is not saying for his enemies to be brought in front of HIM to be killed. He is speaking of a king in the story.... Read it in terms of a parable. Basically he is saying those who wasted the talents are unworthy, and you know how kings are.. they will kill yo-@ss..

I have discussed religious topics with members of my family, my neighbours and my friends, but they never became my enemies.

Yeah, but thats you though... Religious beliefs are strong and people get riled up about them. Don't deny it... Don't do it! YOU know its true! ;)

• Like 1

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them — bring them here and kill them in front of me.

http://bible.cc/luke/19-27.htm

Can someone explain to me what Jesus meant with this?

Abramelin, many Bible commentators accept that in this parable Jesus was making a double-reference:

***to the coming destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD,

***and to his return (still in our future) as King to rule Earth.

Jesus was rejected as “Messiah” by the ruling Jews of his day, as seen in Jesus’ parable,

Luk 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this
man
to reign over us.

Scriptures also show that Jesus will be rejected by the world’s nations as “Messiah”, at his next return. Scriptures state that nations will gather a huge army to fight against him; and afterwards Jesus will establish his Kingdom to rule Earth:

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth
his
sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Very briefly, that in my opinion is the answer to the question in your OP.

That said ... and I'm going by remarks in some of the posts in this thread ... if you were intending to "swat" the Bible, why not do it in a straightforward manner?

Karlis

• Like 1