Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'It's just my opinion'

AtlantisRises

I haven't been active on this site for quite a long time but the last few weeks I've been reading through, trying to reaclimatize myself to the ins and outs of UM and I've noticed something that is sort of annoying. What I mean is the number of people who will make a statement, generally contrary to either and individual in the thread or even the majority, often quite bluntly and then at the end of their statement add, often in parenthesis, that it is only their opinion.

It almost seems as if that statement is meant to straight away prevent any discussion, disagreement or illfeeling towards their statement. This occurs across all the sections of UM but as I generally read the Spirituality boards I notice it more here. Being that these are a discussion board everyone is, or at least should be, aware that we are stating our opinions, unless of course we have directly quoted someone elses. Thus saying that it is just your opinion is a totally redundant statement. And like most redundant statements it interrupts the flow of your writing and as such weakens the effect of it.

I recognise that poor english skills have a large part to do with this in some cases, nevertheless it does make the writers sounds sort of whiny.

Now I was wondering what other people think, what is your opinion. Do you feel that when someone states that something is their opinion that it in anyway validates their statement. Do you feel that you should respond to their posts any differently when they have stated this.

Dale

• Like 4

I haven't been active on this site for quite a long time but the last few weeks I've been reading through, trying to reaclimatize myself to the ins and outs of UM and I've noticed something that is sort of annoying. What I mean is the number of people who will make a statement, generally contrary to either and individual in the thread or even the majority, often quite bluntly and then at the end of their statement add, often in parenthesis, that it is only their opinion.

Because most of the time it IS just an opinion.

To claim that your statement is an irrefutable fact is what squashes any discussion.

There are a great number of people everywhere that think their statements are facts and when on forums it is not so easy to decipher the context of a statement.

But then again, this is merely my opinion. ;)

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 9

Those who make such a statement are probably those who would like others to believe as they do, but recognise their individual right to not do so.

• Like 7

It almost seems as if that statement is meant to straight away prevent any discussion, disagreement or illfeeling towards their statement. This occurs across all the sections of UM but as I generally read the Spirituality boards I notice it more here. Being that these are a discussion board everyone is, or at least should be, aware that we are stating our opinions, unless of course we have directly quoted someone elses. Thus saying that it is just your opinion is a totally redundant statement. And like most redundant statements it interrupts the flow of your writing and as such weakens the effect of it.

I recognise that poor english skills have a large part to do with this in some cases, nevertheless it does make the writers sounds sort of whiny.

Now I was wondering what other people think, what is your opinion. Do you feel that when someone states that something is their opinion that it in anyway validates their statement. Do you feel that you should respond to their posts any differently when they have stated this.

Dale

I have used the expression "IMO"in the past because I dislike people who put forward an opinion as if it were a fact ,unless a statement is supported by evidence ,I think it should be made clear it is not a fact.and the expression IMO will normally suffice to show this

fullywired

• Like 5

I have seen people "yelled at" by others on this forum for NOT putting "just my opinion" or such one their posts. The general consensus seemed to be that they were declaring some great truth of the Universe if they didn't include that phrase. It seems horribly picky and silly to me to insist that people include "in my opinion" on a forum where everyone is constantly sharing their opinions.

It means....go ahead and make your argument, but my opinion isn't changing.

I do not see this at all. I see people including "in my opinion" as a way to personalize and own whatever statement they make and essentially say that other people are entitled to their own. It's the people who say "this is true" and then go on to state an opinion that balk at alternative viewpoints.

In my opinion. :P

• Like 4

I eventually use the "hey, it's my opinion and I'm comfortable with that" line when someone is unwilling to let a matter drop, and I'm repeating myself over and over. I usually go in a discussion with an understanding that we're just sharing opinions. But at some point someone latches on to an expressed opinion and won't let an "agree to disagree" view to stand. I'll begin with the "you're free to see it your way, but this is how I see it" reasoning, but eventually I just have to say it's an opinion so take it or leave it.

This kind of view happens here on the spirituality boards more than elsewhere because spiritual beliefs are essentially personal and experiences/beliefs inherently non-transferable.

That's as how I see it.

• Like 4

I think we Christians state that it's our opinion merely because it is our opinion. Remember that, from our perspective, we have the Holy Spirit which validates the experience for us. There is a supernatural element to our life that can't be measured with scientific instruments. I can handle being told I'm wrong simply because my experience is immeasurable. What I do find annoying is the implication that I'm not even allowed to have an opinion. It's difficult to discuss a topic without being allowed to use appropriate vocabulary. I don't ask that a skeptic believe in God, but I do ask that the skeptic allow me to discuss the topic with terminology based on my experience.

Edited by J. K.
  • Like 4

I have seen people "yelled at" by others on this forum for NOT putting "just my opinion" or such one their posts. The general consensus seemed to be that they were declaring some great truth of the Universe if they didn't include that phrase. It seems horribly picky and silly to me to insist that people include "in my opinion" on a forum where everyone is constantly sharing their opinions.

For a long while there was a very outspoken, obnoxious group that insisted if you didn't exclaim something was "just my opinion" that it was being stated as a fact and constantly harassed people who didn't. :yes:

• Like 2

Dale

It is really nice to see you back posting AR. I do put some version of IMO almost on every post. I do this to establish(especially in a forum) a conversational environment of mutual respect. It is my way of saying, I think that what the other person says is just as viable- even if I disagree. I find I now have exchanges that are fruitful and productive since I have added IMO, so for me it works out better.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Dale

No dale. I'm glad you Brought this up. I had a philosophy professor that taught us to always assume Somone is saying "I think" before every statement, and "some" before any generalization. This way we do not have to keep saying it all the time. I was in the habit of not putting those things in when I started posting on UM, but the sensitivities of people who can't get this concept forced me to start doing it again.

It's a valid point.

• Like 2

I think we Christians state that it's our opinion merely because it is our opinion. Remember that, from our perspective, we have the Holy Spirit which validates the experience for us. There is a supernatural element to our life that can't be measured with scientific instruments. I can handle being told I'm wrong simply because my experience is immeasurable. What I do find annoying is the implication that I'm not even allowed to have an opinion. It's difficult to discuss a topic without being allowed to use appropriate vocabulary. I don't ask that a skeptic believe in God, but I do ask that the skeptic allow me to discuss the topic with terminology based on my experience.

I think you bring in an excellent point to remember J.K. Online is a bit different due to the limits, we really have not had the opportunity to get to know the person we are in dialog with, the unspokenesses that comes from body language and tone inflections are unknown to us. So for me-- I try and account for this and use IMO, to establish a rapport of respect. :)

Edited by Sherapy

And seeing you is the highlight of being back Shera. Perhaps it's just me being overly pedantic but I think that mutual respect should be implied, I'm well aware that it's often overlooked but it should just be there. I agree that whatever anyone says, no matter how disagreeable should be considered. I am also aware that if I say something that goes strongly against someones personal beliefs that my statement will be given less credibility by them because they disagree. Wether they realise it or not they will treat my statement differently because they do not agree with it. I'm aware of that, I accept that, indeed I'm guilty of it myself, for instance if the majority of a post is centered around biblical literature I'm going to gloss over it.

I just think that the fact that anything you state online, short of a mathematical certainty, is your opinion is implied. I think that a large reason behind a lot of the more volatile issues here is a clash of personalities as much as any difference in opinions. Certainly amongst the older posters who have read their counterparts opinions a thousand times and know more or less their opinions anyway animosities from previous threads will often find their way into new threads.

It means....go ahead and make your argument, but my opinion isn't changing.

Iv said that in posts and totally changed my thinking around after reading other posts, I think people mainly say that because they know someone else might have a different opinion and if they dont include "thats just my opinion' after they'll be attacked by everyone that disagrees. If they say thats JMO after its kind of like they cover themselves. Nobody likes to be ridiculed and personally attacked.

And seeing you is the highlight of being back Shera. Perhaps it's just me being overly pedantic but I think that mutual respect should be implied, I'm well aware that it's often overlooked but it should just be there. I agree that whatever anyone says, no matter how disagreeable should be considered. I am also aware that if I say something that goes strongly against someones personal beliefs that my statement will be given less credibility by them because they disagree. Wether they realise it or not they will treat my statement differently because they do not agree with it. I'm aware of that, I accept that, indeed I'm guilty of it myself, for instance if the majority of a post is centered around biblical literature I'm going to gloss over it.

I just think that the fact that anything you state online, short of a mathematical certainty, is your opinion is implied. I think that a large reason behind a lot of the more volatile issues here is a clash of personalities as much as any difference in opinions. Certainly amongst the older posters who have read their counterparts opinions a thousand times and know more or less their opinions anyway animosities from previous threads will often find their way into new threads.

Awww, you are so sweet, I have missed you a lot. I hope you are here to stay for a while. Wow, it is interesting to hear the feedback that after being away so long you notice an huge inflation in "IMO's." I see your point too, so it is awesome to have an opportunity to be able to have conversations with you that won't have to prefaced with IMO. (((HUGS)))

For a long while there was a very outspoken, obnoxious group that insisted if you didn't exclaim something was "just my opinion" that it was being stated as a fact and constantly harassed people who didn't. :yes:

Speak of the devil....

Iv said that in posts and totally changed my thinking around after reading other posts, I think people mainly say that because they know someone else might have a different opinion and if they dont include "thats just my opinion' after they'll be attacked by everyone that disagrees. If they say thats JMO after its kind of like they cover themselves. Nobody likes to be ridiculed and personally attacked.

It's kind of like what the comedian Henry Cho says about the South..."You can say anything about anyone, in the South, as long as you say "Bless their heart" afterwards." He is funny as hell! :lol:

Dale

Perhaps it means that though they have no hard evidence to back up the statement they have come to this opinion through reasoning which does not preclude discussion, but that's just my opinion

What I mean is the number of people who will make a statement, generally contrary to either and individual in the thread or even the majority, often quite bluntly and then at the end of their statement add, often in parenthesis, that it is only their opinion.

Good point, but I guess I view and use 'IMO' a little differently. I use it to differentiate between statements that I think I can back up with reasoning or evidence, and statements that are not as well supported that I may have an opinion about. Agreed, one way to look at it is that everything is ultimately an opinion but I think it becomes a useless word if it encompasses everything, and I don't think things like evolution or that the earth rotates are really correctly referred to as mere 'opinions'. If all someone can say about their point is that it's just their opinion but they don't really have any good reasoning or evidence they can share to support it, I may well find it interesting but from a debate standpoint there's not much to do but shrug at it.

I think qualifying every statement with "that's just my opinion" or imho is redundant. Deductive reasoning is boring, it has necessary conclusions and it doesn't add any new knowledge. Almost all the arguments we use are inductive and do not provide certainty, they only infer to the best explanation. And that's where it gets interesting.

Lastly, opinions are not arguments, they are unsupported claims or assertions.

And that's not like, just my opinion, man.

tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

I think qualifying every statement with "that's just my opinion" or imho is redundant. Deductive reasoning is boring, it has necessary conclusions and it doesn't add any new knowledge. Almost all the arguments we use are inductive and do not provide certainty, they only infer to the best explanation. And that's where it gets interesting.

Lastly, opinions are not arguments, they are unsupported claims or assertions.

And that's not like, just my opinion, man.

tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

opinions based on logic are absolutely arguments even without evidence

opinions based on logic are absolutely arguments even without evidence

Opinions are not based on logic though. By definition, if you have an informed opinion with some kind of warrant, then what you have is an argument, not just a subjective opinion.

• Like 1

Opinions are not based on logic though. By definition, if you have an informed opinion with some kind of warrant, then what you have is an argument, not just a subjective opinion.

Perhaps you are correct. But make a statement based on opinion,whether based on evidence or not and the first response is usually a demand for proof. Without proof and only reasoning behind your opinion this info must then be related. Saying it is opinion in the first place just saves a step

Perhaps you are correct. But make a statement based on opinion,whether based on evidence or not and the first response is usually a demand for proof.

You can make a claim without people asking for proof. Preferences are one category for example; "Apples taste better than oranges". There's simply nothing to debate there.

Without proof and only reasoning behind your opinion this info must then be related. Saying it is opinion in the first place just saves a step

But 99.999999...% of all the arguments on these forums use inductive logic, so there is no certitude, only inferences to the best explanation. In other words, it's all opinion. Of course there is a big difference between an informed opinion and an uninformed one.

You can make a claim without people asking for proof. Preferences are one category for example; "Apples taste better than oranges". There's simply nothing to debate there.

But 99.999999...% of all the arguments on these forums use inductive logic, so there is no certitude, only inferences to the best explanation. In other words, it's all opinion. Of course there is a big difference between an informed opinion and an uninformed one.

Perhaps you are correct though my opinions are based on either inductive or deductive reasoning, whatever it takes to get me there. I wont make a post opinion or otherwise if I don't think I can defend it. Sometimes the phrase stating it is my opinion is just a manner of speaking on my part and sometimes it is merely an attempt to not offend those who cherish an alternate opinion especially in regards to religion. I never really mean to offend even though I sometimes use sarcasm to make a point