Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Crows

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have read somewhere many years ago about giant crows that where meant to be about 2 feet or something like that.
What do people think about them?

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

I posted about them.

I found them on a website about cryptids, and it was the only website that mentioned them. Well, it actually talked about giant ravens, somwehere in British Columbia.

These ravens lived hidden away in some valley, and were near flightless and large as eagles. They are also said to have some red in their tail feathers.

Let me see if I can find that thread.

+++

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=225232

Edited by Abramelin, 17 February 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#3    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

The ones they're talking about are cryptids, they're just large and have grown so large they stay on the ground mostly because it's too hard for them to fly unless they have to to escape or evade predators. Although, I have seen some that seemed really big.

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 17 February 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

The ones they're talking about are cryptids, they're just large and have grown so large they stay on the ground mostly because it's too hard for them to fly unless they have to to escape or evade predators. Although, I have seen some that seemed really big.

Yes, the further north you go, the larger ravens become. It has to do with an adaptation to the cold, or so they say. The quotient of body volume and body surface area goes up.

But Keninsc, have you read about the source of this 'myth'?  The site I started my thread with (see link in my former post) is all I could find.

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 17 February 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Yes, the further north you go, the larger ravens become. It has to do with an adaptation to the cold, or so they say. The quotient of body volume and body surface area goes up.

But Keninsc, have you read about the source of this 'myth'?  The site I started my thread with (see link in my former post) is all I could find.

My husband said the ravens that were everywhere and landed on his car a couple hundred miles north of Edmonton, AB, were easily two-feet tall.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

There are crows that big in Japan ,right now.

Miss me?

#7    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

My mom had giant crows in Virginia. Her job was refilling their watering-hole and if she slacked, they let her know, and could have easily carried her off.
Anyway, two states later, and I haven't seen ones so large since.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#8    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 17 February 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

There are crows that big in Japan ,right now.

You mean jungle crows. That are big alright, but not as big or as or bigger than golden eagles:

British Columbian giant raven (Interior of B.C. NA): A piece of local folklore, the bush mechanics who worked in the interior of B.C. claim that here is a valley, rich in timber, which is populated by enormous ravens bigger than golden eagles. They say these ravens are dangerous animals, very opportunistic, and will not hesitate to tear someones camp apart. they are nearly flightless, and have much red in their tail plumage. These are obviously a specialized species of raven which developed in the isolation of this valley. However, if any introduced predators like dogs or cats make it there these ravens might become threatened.

Edited by Abramelin, 18 February 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 18 February 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

You mean jungle crows. That are big alright, but not as big or as or bigger than golden eagles:

British Columbian giant raven (Interior of B.C. NA): A piece of local folklore, the bush mechanics who worked in the interior of B.C. claim that here is a valley, rich in timber, which is populated by enormous ravens bigger than golden eagles. They say these ravens are dangerous animals, very opportunistic, and will not hesitate to tear someones camp apart. they are nearly flightless, and have much red in their tail plumage. These are obviously a specialized species of raven which developed in the isolation of this valley. However, if any introduced predators like dogs or cats make it there these ravens might become threatened.

Theres this statue right outside....I think the east gate of ikebukero station in Tokyo ,and they congregate there . They are literally terrifying .
Its a hitchcock movie come alive .
I once had one rip food out of my hand ,while walking in Kichijoji park .

Miss me?

#10    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

My husband said the ravens that were everywhere and landed on his car a couple hundred miles north of Edmonton, AB, were easily two-feet tall.

Heck, i've seen some around vancouver that are nearly two feet tall. Would make an awesome pet :whistle: :innocent:

#11    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

What kind of crows are you guys seeing that are smaller than two feet?

Posted Image

#12    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,073 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

normal i think

#13    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostXetan, on 18 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

What kind of crows are you guys seeing that are smaller than two feet?

They vary. The crows my mom "watered" made you stop and look twice. They were far larger than the average ones around us in WV.
And I've yet to see a large crow in southern Texas. Lots of bigger grackles, than I'm used to though.
The ravens my husband saw were the largest birds he's seen, as in larger in bulk, heavier.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 18 February 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#14    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

oh right. Cool. I think they exist but are just mutants really.

#15    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I don't know people, but I am getting the feeling some here confuse normal ravens for large crows.

About the "two feet" size

The smallest corvid is the Dwarf Jay (Aphelocoma nana), at 41 g (1.4 oz) and 21.5 cm (8.5 inches). The largest corvids are the Common Raven (Corvus corax) and the Thick-billed Raven (Corvus crassirostris), both of which regularly exceed 1400 grams (3 lbs) and 65 cm (26 inches).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvidae

The Golden Eagle is a large, dark brown raptor with broad wings. Its size is variable: it ranges from 66 to 102 cm (26 to 40 in) in length and it has a typical wingspan of 1.8 to 2.34 m (5.9 to 7.7 ft). In the largest race (A. c. daphanea) males and females weigh 4.05 kg (8.9 lb) and 6.35 kg (14.0 lb).

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Golden_Eagle

So a regular sized common raven is as large as the smallest of Golden Eagles (Japanese Golden Eagles).

But this is what I quoted: "enormous ravens bigger than golden eagles", and obvioulsy the Golden Eagle they compared it with is the North American one.

Edited by Abramelin, 19 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users