Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

What Is TRUTH?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16    Catti-Brie

Catti-Brie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• I am a loose piece of the universe that has become aware momentarily.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Great topic. I believe that people's individual perceptions can very quickly become their individual realities.

Truth is based in the mind's acceptance of its consistency. Truth is consistent. That's why those of us who diligently study a topic are constantly questioning its truths/facts, finding them more consistent or less consistent, and coming to an informed hypothesis. I tend to perceive that more "truths" come from experienced sources.

This can backfire, of course, when we are lied to and the truth is manipulated. A false statement can be presented as truth and perceived as reality. A person's perception of reality does not necessarily allocate truth.

#17    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Great thread!! Here are some quotes about "Truth" that I particularly like:

The Truth is inseparable from who you are. Yes, you are the Truth. If you look for it elsewhere, you will be deceived every time.

ECKHART TOLLE, A New Earth

To hell with the truth! As the history of the world proves, the truth has no bearing on anything. It's irrelevant and immaterial, as the lawyers say. The lie of a pipe dream is what gives life to the whole misbegotten mad lot of us, drunk or sober.

EUGENE O'NEILL, The Iceman Cometh

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

MARK TWAIN, Mark Twain's Notebooks

What people believe prevails over the truth.

SOPHOCLES, The Sons of Aleus [fragment]

Personally, I don't give a rap for documents; for the truth in my eyes is not in them but in the mind.

LUIGI PIRANDELLO, It Is So! (If You Think So)

It is only those who are in constant revolt that discover what is true, not the man who conforms, who follows some tradition. It is only when you are constantly inquiring, constantly observing, constantly learning, that you find truth, God, or love.

JIDDU KRISHNAMURTI, Think on These Things

Belief in the truth commences with the doubting of all those “truths” we once believed.

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, "Truth Will Have No Other Gods Alongside It

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the deepest root of all evil that is in the world.

MAX BORN, as quoted in Judith Sherven's The New Intimac

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#18    Time Traveler

Time Traveler

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• The Truth Is Out There (it is only a matter of finding out what it is!)

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I believe there is a precise truth in everything - not effected nor changed because someone believes differently.  To use the law of gravity for example.  It doesn't matter if someone believes it works just the opposite (drop something and it falls up)<their truth>  or it works according to how each person perceives it will work.  Bottom line - if you drop something, it will fall to the ground - it is the 'real' truth of the effect gravity will have on an object.  Hope this makes sense.  :unsure2:   It is getting very late and my thought processes are slowing down. :sleepy:

#19    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,104 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Being able to recognize the truth depends on our ability to see clearly what is, and to react intelligently to that, and not to imagine it is something else out of our own desires.

(Modified from one of my other posts)

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#20    soulpowertothenthdegree

soulpowertothenthdegree

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Control Your Soul!!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

As a kid I was taught many things in school that were presented as fact, truth, only to realize the events in history are being distorted and told much differently than as they actually happened.  I had to take test's based on these supposed facts, truths.  I had to make passing grades to go to the next step, all based on lies posed as facts, truths.  Just recently, I read an article that changed how they thing about gravity.  Every day it seems more information comes out about something when we have been led to believe something else.  We have millions of people that think every word in the Bible is based on truth.  They "swear" by it.   Really?  The Bible was written in English?  They don't have a clue how to interpret a language that doesn't exist, but they did and do.  I just think people should use more common sense to differentiate that there are infinite possibilities and only one "TRUTH".

Edited by soulpowertothenthdegree, 26 May 2013 - 06:32 PM.

GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE THINGS I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER, (PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS);
GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE THINGS I DO HAVE CONTROL OVER, (ME, MYSELF & I);
GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO!!

#21    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,453 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Truth is the actual event or words that were spoken not what you wish had been done or said.

#22    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,302 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

The Blind Men and the Elephant

Well over one hundred years ago, an American poet put to rhyme an ancient parable.

Six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

In the poem each of the six travelers takes hold of a different part of the elephant and then describes to the others what he has discovered.
One of the men finds the elephant’s leg and describes it as being round and rough like a tree. Another feels the tusk and describes the elephant as a spear. A third grabs the tail and insists that an elephant is like a rope. A fourth discovers the trunk and insists that the elephant is like a large snake.
Each is describing truth.
And because his truth comes from personal experience, each insists that he knows what he knows.
The poem concludes:

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!
^
That's a very old universal poem.

"In this world the light is dim, and so we see only part of  truth ,as though we are looking through a glass darkly."
`The Apostle Paul
^
One of my favorite quotes .

Edited by Reann, 27 May 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#23    soulpowertothenthdegree

soulpowertothenthdegree

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Control Your Soul!!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostHilander, on 26 May 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Truth is the actual event or words that were spoken not what you wish had been done or said.

Rarely is the truth actually spoken.  What anyone wants the truth to be is certainly up to them, but the truth of any matter is rarely ever the actual truth as it really happened, EXACTLY.  Regardless of what anyone wishes or says.  The perception is not always TRUTH.  If I witness something and I perceive it one way, and you witness something and perceive it another, it doesn't change the TRUTH, only the perception and perspective and the ability to translate what was seen to others in such a way as to have them believe it as the truth is merely having the ability to manipulate others to agree with your version of said events.  Still, the TRUTH is not always believed and it is not always perceived the same way.  The TRUTH I speak of is more to the actual foundation for life and the existence of our soul's.

I can say I know the TRUTH and you can tell me it is BS.  Still, there is only one TRUTH.

GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE THINGS I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER, (PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS);
GIVE ME THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THE THINGS I DO HAVE CONTROL OVER, (ME, MYSELF & I);

#24    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Many say that there is no such thing as "truth"     and that all is perception.   But i think Truth is REALITY..   It IS what it IS.  Our perceptions of truth don't alter it?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#25    soulpowertothenthdegree

soulpowertothenthdegree

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Control Your Soul!!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostReann, on 27 May 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

The Blind Men and the Elephant

Well over one hundred years ago, an American poet put to rhyme an ancient parable.

Six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

In the poem each of the six travelers takes hold of a different part of the elephant and then describes to the others what he has discovered.
One of the men finds the elephant’s leg and describes it as being round and rough like a tree. Another feels the tusk and describes the elephant as a spear. A third grabs the tail and insists that an elephant is like a rope. A fourth discovers the trunk and insists that the elephant is like a large snake.
Each is describing truth.
And because his truth comes from personal experience, each insists that he knows what he knows.
The poem concludes:

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!
^
That's a very old universal poem.

"In this world the light is dim, and so we see only part of  truth ,as though we are looking through a glass darkly."
`The Apostle Paul
^
One of my favorite quotes .

Thanks for sharing.  I don't mean to ignore, but my desire to communicate on any level, besides responding to posts when I can, is not anything I choose to do.  I appreciate you reaching out to me.

View Postlightly, on 27 May 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Many say that there is no such thing as "truth" and that all is perception.   But i think Truth is REALITY..   It IS what it IS.  Our perceptions of truth don't alter it?

Ahh.  That is the rub right there.  What is reality?

#26    soulpowertothenthdegree

soulpowertothenthdegree

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Control Your Soul!!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 13 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Being able to recognize the truth depends on our ability to see clearly what is, and to react intelligently to that, and not to imagine it is something else out of our own desires.

(Modified from one of my other posts)

Unfortunately, recognizing the TRUTH about anything has very little to do with intelligence and everything to do with manipulation.  Most would not know the TRUTH if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.  We are all capable of thought processes and the ability to fantasize and read into any situation that which we want to see, there is still only one TRUTH.  We exist, or do we?

#27    soulpowertothenthdegree

soulpowertothenthdegree

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Control Your Soul!!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostTime Traveler, on 12 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

I believe there is a precise truth in everything - not effected nor changed because someone believes differently.  To use the law of gravity for example.  It doesn't matter if someone believes it works just the opposite (drop something and it falls up)<their truth>  or it works according to how each person perceives it will work.  Bottom line - if you drop something, it will fall to the ground - it is the 'real' truth of the effect gravity will have on an object.  Hope this makes sense.  :unsure2:   It is getting very late and my thought processes are slowing down. :sleepy:

Even what we have been taught about gravity has recently come in to question.  There are 20 different religions that all profess to be the real true meaning of life and what we are to gain from it and how we are to behave, yet I do not need a religion to tell me any of it.  Therefore, I know the TRUTH.

#28    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,302 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postsoulpowertothenthdegree, on 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Even what we have been taught about gravity has recently come in to question.  There are 20 different religions that all profess to be the real true meaning of life and what we are to gain from it and how we are to behave, yet I do not need a religion to tell me any of it.  Therefore, I know the TRUTH.
What  is  truth within the meaning of life ? Is a profound thought.
I see nothing  wrong with principles that are of  deeper spirtiual insight ,that are studied , taught , from religions that are in and of  the best interest of all life.
There are teachers from long ago that i am so very thankful for, admire ,and will forever uphold and respect , though labeling  their gifts of wisdom and love into religion by which  manipulation , control , and division have become well known, I  like to think that  was not their true intention of what was shared , taught , and given to us by them . In that  sense I know the truth in regards to  religion  as opposed to   learning who I am.

#29    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,302 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postsoulpowertothenthdegree, on 26 May 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

As a kid I was taught many things in school that were presented as fact, truth, only to realize the events in history are being distorted and told much differently than as they actually happened.  I had to take test's based on these supposed facts, truths.  I had to make passing grades to go to the next step, all based on lies posed as facts, truths.  Just recently, I read an article that changed how they thing about gravity.  Every day it seems more information comes out about something when we have been led to believe something else.  We have millions of people that think every word in the Bible is based on truth.  They "swear" by it.   Really?  The Bible was written in English?  They don't have a clue how to interpret a language that doesn't exist, but they did and do.  I just think people should use more common sense to differentiate that there are infinite possibilities and only one "TRUTH".
Why have you chosen to attack  on Christianty  ? As you said , we learn more truths every moment of everyday , right? In fact , a lot of Christians   are learning  more of just how encoded the letters within those books are.
I'm certain other religions too are learning more , but , it was Christianty that you attacked, why is that ?
Truth is also , not everyone is a good   man or  women  because of their  belief or non belief , you can believe in anything and still your actions are what matters, right? Though , I have personally experienced more kindness from those who are spiritual as opposed to the other that are non spiritual for some reason, why do you think that is?
I have to say that I don't swear at all , but I do whole heartedly love and care very much for Yeshua , therfore when you attack Christianty you are indeed attacking on his teachings ,and , well,  I just didn't expect that from you for some reason., maybe it was the name you have chosen.???

After  thinking about this reply I left , I'm  editing to add that I realize, it was not exactly the teaching and principles of Christ  that you talked about , so I was wrong for what I said in the above paragraph.
I do agree that some translation of the letters have been taken out of it's original context ,in some areas, not every area, but enough have been taken out that it's true  meaning was misinterpreted .
There have been  many times when i have felt anoyed and disappointed at the fact that it is difficult to communicate with some who do believe literly everyword in the letters without a clear understanding of the history that some terms were meant to represent.
I think that there are different sects of christians and some are more aware of this than others. I also have become more aware of how so much was from out of Egypt that is in the bible. For the older peole of our time , i think it's really difficult to show them , because they are so indoctrinated and so they  believe whole hearted  what they believe. I don't disagree that common sense is a factor, but, I do believe that it is because of FAITH that they believe some mistranslations, and maybe  that which  is encoded they take literly. I think though that because there is a difference in denominations that it's not really as simple as to say they all believe this or that, pretty much though they who are familar with any Holy Bible should have obtained a deeper understanding and  knowing that when you are in Christ you behave like it, and it all comes from within . common sense speaks volums in regards to what Christ consciousness really  and truly is.
(My apologies for my misunderstanding.)

Edited by Reann, 27 May 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#30    traveler27

traveler27

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Truth is .......
I have never been able to fit all meanings in a word, perhaps truth changes as it moves thru time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users