Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the Loch Ness Monster Exist?

DreamRebel

[Edit] Post removed

Edited by DreamRebel

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• joc

• fireflyxl5

• DrStrangelove

"The first logical proof for Nessie's is legends often prove true"

Goodness, if this is an example of logic, I fear what may follow! For every legend that might have a basis, there are a dozen more that don't. I've been on a ship for six months, and I did not need to see a sea cow to dream of beautiful women (you would have to be much more desperate to make that sort of mistake). Likewise, A ten foot bird flightless bird is a poor substitute for a flying raptor hundreds of feet wide.

"The second obvious reason for this animal's existence is sometimes animals thought extinct are alive."

Well, not so obvious since before we decide if something that was extinct is now alive, we have to figure out if something extinct (or anything at all) actually exists. This actually blends into your testimonials as well. Eyewitness reports can never be taken as airtight evidence; even in courtrooms it can only be considered circumstantial at best. Zoology is particularly stingy in this respect. Unlike many other sciences, it pretty much requires a specimen before it will admit to anything. As for physical proof, it is definitely wanting. Considering how many tourists with modern day recording devices visit the loch, to say nothing of the in depth (so to speak) studies done, it is remarkable that there has yet to be a single clear picture of anything other than the occasional wave. The quantity of witnesses is not proof of anything. One thousand cups of weak coffee will not make one cup of strong coffee.

Lacking any evidence as to whether there is a large animal in the loch, the only thing that can be done is figure out if there CAN be a large animal in the loch. The studies that have been done have concluded in the negative. Unless there is some ecosystem in the loch that we do not know about, one which is large enough to sustain a large creature (or more likely creatures, considering the span of time the sightings create), we will have to wait for the incredible evidence that this incredible claim requires.

Preferably, a specimen.

Or at least a clear picture.

Lacking any evidence as to whether there is a large animal in the loch, the only thing that can be done is figure out if there CAN be a large animal in the loch. The studies that have been done have concluded in the negative. Unless there is some ecosystem in the loch that we do not know about, one which is large enough to sustain a large creature (or more likely creatures, considering the span of time the sightings create), we will have to wait for the incredible evidence that this incredible claim requires.

Preferably, a specimen.

Or at least a clear picture.

I personally believe that there is something living in the lake that is quite large. I don't think it was a dinosaur of any kind. The River Ness connects the Loch to the North Sea. Pictures will never convince anyone.

As for physical proof, it is definitely wanting. Considering how many tourists with modern day recording devices visit the loch, to say nothing of the in depth (so to speak) studies done, it is remarkable that there has yet to be a single clear picture of anything other than the occasional wave.

It is interesting to me as well that no one has ever taken a really good video. But the Loch is 23 miles long and one mile wide and as they say....timing is everything.

Combine the size with the weather and the amount of tourists (it isn't like there are 10,000 tourists lined up along every inch of the loch) and it is understandable that unless you just happened to be in the right place at the right time you would not be able to get a picture of video that would be convincing. Consider also that even if the the animal were 20 meters long the loch is still approxmately 40,000 square meters. A lot of room.

Post accidentally duplicated, now removed.

Edited by joc

Nessie is one of those things that, if you don't believe in it, you might end up being called unpatriotic by some hardcore Scots tongue.gif Unfortunately...I don't...

I do believe there's something there, but I believe it's more likely a sturgeon or some such thing, which is a very credible arguement some documentary put forward a few years ago...I certainly don't think it's a prehistoric reptile.

I wanna believe but unfortunatley it has been calculate that their isnt enough fish in the loch to feed a creature of nessies size its just a fact.

Ive been to loch ness loads of times and its beautiful but apart from that im sorry i just dont think anyone will see the monster,

BTW Joc mate , its not a lake its a loch, I know its not your fault you dont come from bonnie scotland but we scots hate loch's bein called lochs . I think its because we like to be completley seperated from our sasenich cousins down the road, just a thought for future reference , when referring to scottish "lakes" call the lochs thumbsup.gif

BTW Joc mate , its not a lake its a loch, I know its not your fault you dont come from bonnie scotland but we scots hate loch's bein called lochs . I think its because we like to be completley seperated from our sasenich cousins down the road, just a thought for future reference , when referring to scottish "lakes" call the lochs

Point taken! tongue.gif Since you have first hand experience on the subject and since (admittedly) all of the information I have obtained on the subject has come from perusing web sites, I would like to ask you some questions.

I have read that the River Ness connects the 'loch' to the North Sea. True or false?

If true are there damns or river locks or anything of the sort that would preclude something large from traversing the river from the North Sea to the loch and back?

I have read there are many caves in the loch. I have also read there are no caves in the loch. Are there?

Why aren't there many fish in the loch if it is connected by a river to the sea? Is it possible that the answer is because something large has eaten most of them?

I have it in my mind that the loch is quite foggy much of the time. True or false?

Okay enough questions. Oh wait one more....I also read that perhaps the Vikings patterned the front of their ships after the 'monster' of the loch? Do you think there is any truth in that?

I do believe there's something there, but I believe it's more likely a sturgeon or some such thing, which is a very credible arguement some documentary put forward a few years ago...I certainly don't think it's a prehistoric reptile.

I doubt any reptile lives in the loch at all as I have read that the waters are just too cold. True or false?

Has anyone ever caught or seen a sturgeon in the loch?

...are sturgeons as intelligent as humans?....just kidding.... tongue.gif

The river flows out of the loch not into it , it flows out through inverness and into the moray firth, Thats why theyve calculated the fish thing.

I saw that on the "really wild show".

Dont know about the river lock thing it is a possibility tho that it could be swimming up an down the river but i think the river becomes very shallow at certain place.

Life being the way it is in scotland there is a lot of Mist compared to most places , especially up north but my experiences of being there have mostly been on clear days buts i see where your going with it and yes it is misty a lot .

The vikings ships were that way because of their gods they also fashened there boats long before they even came to scotland, i mean the vikings lived up in norway not scotland, tho picts and celts thousands of years ago did claim to witness monsters in the loch and many other lochs around scotland.

I see where your going with that as well and yes the monster does stretch right back to the beggining of our nation.

Sturgeon's have been spotted in the loch.

Anyway im not a cryptozooligist so hopefully it does exist cos that would simply be cool. grin2.gif

The loch is absolutley stunning as is the surrounding scenery and rugged mountains, i mean the whole lochness monster thing gives it an extra aura of mysticism which makes it even more atmospheric.

Its truly amazing id urge anyone to go.

Sturgeon's have been spotted in the loch.

Then it is entirely possible that people who have no idea what a sturgeon is could have seen one and mistakenly believed it was something else.

Thanks for answering the questions. thumbsup.gif

Dunno , i know i said originally i didnt believe but im constantly changin my mind on it, there have been sightings from very very sound sources so i dont rule out the possibility of it existing.

And no problemo joc see am not such a bad guy, lol thumbsup.gif

Then it is entirely possible that people who have no idea what a sturgeon is could have seen one and mistakenly believed it was something else.

Yes Joc, that is what I was meant when I said "I believe it's a sturgeon"...did that part just...slip by? huh.gif

In any event, most of the argument for that consists of the fact that sturgeons, partially exposed on the surface, would probably resemble the "hump" shape that's commonly seen by witnesses. The fact that they are known to exist in the loch does not make it a create leap to assume that the sightings are more likely to be one of them, than a sea creature that's supposed to have been extinct for millions of years, and has never really offered any real proof.

Sturgeons, I believe, also have a life span of several centuries...it wouldn't have been impossible for a single individual, more recently, its offspring to account for all of the sightings over the past few hundred years.

If I wanted to bring tourists to an area, what better way to do it than invent a, Monster or ghost etc and then let pranksters and people looking for their 15 minutes of fame take over.

Once this takes hold, you then have a ready made legend created which in turn brings in more tourists and the price of Beefburgers goes up as the gullible tourist has to eat while searching for Nessie.

What is needed is a collection of hundreds of these tourists spotting Nessie at the same time, not an isolated glimps my a solitary soul.

I do believe in a lot of strange things but this one? Nah.

Must go, my pet Dodo needs feeding. grin2.gif

The picture of the 'loch ness monster' first posted looks frighteningly like one of my plastic dinosaur toys.........

I do believe in a lot of strange things but this one? Nah.

Must go, my pet Dodo needs feeding. grin2.gif

Feed your Dog nessie Chow, for Dogs with a monster appetite, cool.gif

Yes, the Loch Ness Monster exists. Just have faith that it does and leave it at that.

• 4 months later...

Hi.

I used to work up at Loch Ness. The answer to your question is yes the Loch Ness Monster does exist. The only way to be convinced is to see/hear it for yourself.

FF ph34r.gif

Hi.

I used to work up at Loch Ness. The answer to your question is yes the Loch Ness Monster does exist. The only way to be convinced is to see/hear it for yourself.

FF ph34r.gif

"If I wanted to bring tourists to an area, what better way to do it than invent a, Monster or ghost etc and then let pranksters and people looking for their 15 minutes of fame take over"

Urquhart castle, Glen Moriston and other attractions in that area bring in more tourists than the Monster exhibiton centre. I used to work with the National Trust there. There is enough to attract tourists without 'inventing' monsters.

Besides once you have seen the t'each uisge (its an eerie experience) or thought about what it is then you probably wouldnt want to be a tourist there.

crying.gif

I heard there is not enough food for either a herbivore, nore carnivore large marine animal in lake ness. Let alone an entire colony of the beasts. For the time being I am just going to keep an open mind about the loch ness monster,

Yes, but its a migratory species which also accounts for most other northern lake monster sightings

i went to loch ness over my vacation like a week ago.....didnt see anything crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif but yes i do think nessie lives in loch ness...and at home tongue.gif

look! seeee!!

user posted imagegrin2.gifgrin2.giftongue.gif

hehe i love scotland! soo many sheeeep! wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Edited by Anti_girl17

Yes, but its a migratory species which also accounts for most other northern lake monster sightings

Migratory? What??? How did you come to this conclusion? That sound like something you just thought up! Even if you're right there is absolutly no evidance that all the sea serpants seen in the northern lakes are Nessie or Nessie-related creatures. I mean, seriously... Even if that is the case, how does a creature mirgrate from lake to lake? Does it jump out? Wow. I am really being a jerk sad.gif . I'll stop now, sorry.