Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People who can never admit they are wrong

Clarakore

I spent two hours debating with someone and at the end they finally agreed with me after I explained my position fully and offered sources.

But they simply said that it was I who finally agreed with them.

People who cannot admit when they are wrong. What is up with them?

People, as a whole, are proud, and don't easily back down once they have taken a stance. It may seem like they are being ignorant, but most (or some, depending on who you talk to) just have a hard time getting past their own pride.

People don't just believe what they want to believe, they believe only what they can believe. It's as much instinct as it is a choice.

• Like 3

According to other people I'm always wrong, so I guess I don't have that problem.

In the end its just another form of faith. Humans cling to idea's. And if this idea is a political stance or something. Then so be it. Something I noticed is the people who complain about this the most are the same people who do it the most. I find that extremely amusing,

I'm amused of how you tell your story from the point if view you are right. In the very story you are complaining about you are doing the exact same thing. Is it possible that you were infact incorrect and what they said happen actually happen? That frustration you feel about the debate. The person probably feels the same way to you.

Everyones bias. Its just a fact.

I thought I was wrong once,but I was mistaken.

• Like 1

People, as a whole, are proud, and don't easily back down once they have taken a stance. It may seem like they are being ignorant, but most (or some, depending on who you talk to) just have a hard time getting past their own pride.

People don't just believe what they want to believe, they believe only what they can believe. It's as much instinct as it is a choice.

Jak, welcome to the forums. You said, "People, as a whole, are proud, and don't easily back down once they have taken a stance."

What bothers me is the 'ill-informed stance'. People who throw out a land mine in the discussion and simply refuse to back up their statement. And all that they subsequently offer is, "that the facts are well known...", or "go do your own research...", and "I don't accept your sources...", etc.

All that you can do, is smile and walk away. :) (and hope that they'll think next time before offering the same 'ill-informed' stance).

/that, and I'm never wrong.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Jak, welcome to the forums.You said, "People, as a whole, are proud, and don't easily back down once they have taken a stance."What bothers me is the 'ill-informed stance'. People who throw out a land mine in the discussion and simply refuse to back up their statement. And all that they subsequently offer is that, "the facts are well known...", "go do your own research...", "I don't accept your sources...", etc.All that you can do, is smile and walk away. :) (and hope that they'll think next time before offering the same 'ill-informed' stance)/that, and I'm never wrong.

Ha, Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have noticed that some people take that stance, which is really unfortunate. Or, if they bring a viewpoint to the table that was not intended for the discussion (bringing science to a knife fight, for example).

But people are who they are, and are unlikely to change any time soon.

• Like 1

...But people are who they are, and are unlikely to change any time soon.

Agreed!

I can't stand being around people that always think they are right. Why because with these types your opinion rarely counts because they are right and you are wrong. Can't have a productive conversation with them and may as well be talking to the wall. I think they do this because of some basic insecurity in themselves.

• Like 2

People who's Ego is self centered put themselves in the center of the universe can never be wrong because them and their opinions stand at the center of all that is. They are never wrong because everyone else's opintions are an illusion to them.

People who's Ego is not self centered are empathic enough to understand other peoples point of view are more capable to admit they are wrong. They can admit they are wrong because they can understand that other options are from a different perspective.

Edited by Professortaylor
  • Like 1

I'm the kind of person who can be swayed to a different way of thinking if something makes logical sense{that's why I came to this forum in the first place...seeking answers}.And with that in mind I've come across a few personalities that are totally convinced that their point of view is the only one that matters{facts and figures being what they are}so end of discussion.Then I think about my own experiences and I know that the battle has just begun.

• Like 1

We cant hel :w00t: p it if we are always right ....

I think you're wrong about that.

Usually the same people who make up ****.

• Like 1

Ahhh,well,I think I would quite correct when I said some people have no sense of humor.

Tut

• Like 1

I spent two hours debating with someone and at the end they finally agreed with me after I explained my position fully and offered sources.

Lol, this is not just about people not willing to admit they were wrong.

It actually looks like they lost you somewhere in the discussion, and then turned things around by saying it was you who agreed with them because that is how they understood your reasoning.

Another thing: first you say "someone", and then you say "they". What was it?

I rarely hear a politician admit they were wrong.

I rarely hear a politician admit they were wrong.

A politician has an agenda, they cannot let themselves be proven wrong.

• Like 1

A politician has an agenda, they cannot let themselves be proven wrong.

Ah, yes, soooooo true.

All you people who say "I hate people like that". I can 100% know you've done similar things without admitting your wrong. Don't act like your better then those people.

• Like 1

i know better . so i never argue .. with someone ... waste of time :) if you are right .. congratulations.. if you are wrong.. its fine.. everyone makes mistakes.

its not a problem if they cant admit that they are wrong.

. the problem is you, that cant live by the fact that they dont acknowledge your ... words..

so the qeustion is can you admit that they are wrong? or you wanna keep going. for hours? and try to convince them ? mwuahaahhah think about it hahahaha waste of time . !

i m a simple minded guy . time ll answer all your qeustions .. !

Edited by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

That happened to me a few years ago. My cousin and I used to go to Starbucks every Friday and hang out, talking about philosophy, our beliefs about the supernatural and whatnot.

It often became a debate and it occured to me he was being contrary just for sake of debate. He once went on his own, with minimal input from me for about 2 hours until he ended up taking My Position! I inserted the "yeah"s and "uh huh"s where appropriate, but it was all him, man!

That guy, boy he loves the sound of his own voice.

Don't get me wrong, he is a brilliant artist. It helps to be openminded when trying to choose a point of view, but I believe you need to have one to start with if you are going to want someone to follow your train of thought.

Its better not to have conversation with those..