Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

Sea Shepherd announces Operation Relentless

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

The battle against poaching whales in a whale sanctuary pits Sea Shepherd the pirates of compassion against the Japanese government  the pirates of profit.

I'd rather save the dying oceans than feed a tiny minority of Japanese people heavy-metal laden subsidy-meat.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well, you don't want to hunt an animal down to extinction.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,397 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Why don't Japanese people recognise that whales are becoming extinct,surely they aren't that thick, this also happens in the Atlantic by the people who live on the Azores Islands during the whale migration season.The Japanese also have Dolphin round ups.No one except Greenpeace seems bothered about it.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 10,032 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

No one except Greenpeace seems bothered about it.
It's because Jay-Zee has a new album out and Angelina just had a double masecetomy - there's more important things to talk about man!
I love people, it's humanity I can't stand.

Anywho ... irrespective of their rights to hunt whales (for any reason) it's illegal to do so in a whale sanctuary. It's like hunting deer in a wildlife park.

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 29 May 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Anywho ... irrespective of their rights to hunt whales (for any reason) it's illegal to do so in a whale sanctuary. It's like hunting deer in a wildlife park.

That's just not right, at all.... :no:

Edited by Kowalski, 29 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#6    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,855 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

What a bunch of morons. Year after the year, the same crap, and Japan keeps whaling. But the Whale Wars ratings go up.

When the International Whaling Commission says "You are not helping, please go away" it's time to have a second look at these tactics that are only making the deaths slow and painful.

Maybe this year throwing stinky butter might work though...................

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,855 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Why don't Japanese people recognise that whales are becoming extinct,surely they aren't that thick, this also happens in the Atlantic by the people who live on the Azores Islands during the whale migration season.The Japanese also have Dolphin round ups.No one except Greenpeace seems bothered about it.

They do, the argument is political. The only hope is at the negotiation table, not throwing stinky butter at whaling vessels. Japan agreed to stop whaling in 1986, when the US decided to reduce their fishing grounds they got mad and started whaling again. If the US said sorry, and allowed them to fish enough to compensate, then the problem would just go away. In the meantime, these vigilantes are taking advantage of the situation with a TV show. That's as bad as what the Japanese are doing IMHO.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

Appeasing Japanese government criminals so they don't "get mad" again.   Brilliant tactic there.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,241 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Nowhere near as brilliant as sponsoring a bunch of idiots to crash into fuel ships in the fragile Antartic ecosystem.

Hey!  Let's blow up the valley in order to save it!

#10    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 30 May 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

Nowhere near as brilliant as sponsoring a bunch of idiots to crash into fuel ships in the fragile Antartic ecosystem.

Hey!  Let's blow up the valley in order to save it!
They were physically blocking the transfer of fuel just like they physically block the transfer of whales.   That's their job.   They're not there to protest, paint rainbows, take pictures, and then go rant on their blogs about it.  This is civil action in the form of law enforcement, not a protest.  Sea Shepherd didn't write the World Charter for Nature.   If there's going to be limits on who can enforce laws on the high seas, then amend the Charter by specifying who that is (a very entertaining proposition for us to see governments of the world have to grovel with, incidentally).   Until then, Sea Shepherd is following both the spirit and letter of the law on the high seas with its law enforcement actions.

If the law was on Japan's side they'd have already been taking Sea Shepherd to court 10 years ago.  This is Sea Shepherd's 10th Antarctic season already.  Japan doesn't want this to go to court that's why it's the one being dragged there now by Australia.

Edited by Yamato, 30 May 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#11    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,241 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostYamato, on 30 May 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

They were physically blocking the transfer of fuel just like they physically block the transfer of whales.

They were also crashing into it, in seperate instances, with no ship to block.

Not that it makes a difference.  After all, physically blocking the transfer of a whale doesn't run the risk of a fuel spill in the Antarctic.

That's their job.

They suck at it.

They're not there to protest, paint rainbows, take pictures, and then go rant on their blogs about it.

Nah, they're there to endanger the entire ecosystem.

This is civil action in the form of law enforcement, not a protest.

Except that they are on the wrong side of the law.  And I agree, it isn't a protest.  It is an assault.

Sea Shepherd didn't write the World Charter for Nature.

Good.  I wouldn't trust these idiots to write a shopping list.

If there's going to be limits on who can enforce laws on the high seas, then amend the Charter by specifying who that is (a very entertaining proposition for us to see governments of the world have to grovel with, incidentally).   Until then, Sea Shepherd is following both the spirit and letter of the law on the high seas with its law enforcement actions.

Why would anything have to be re-written?  The limits and actions of who can do what is already pretty well defined, and the Sea Shepherd is on the loosing side of it.

If the law was on Japan's side they'd have already been taking Sea Shepherd to court 10 years ago.

Well, not everyone considers it their duty to board other ships and perform idiotic civilian arrests.  Some are willing to follow the laws the world agrees on, and not descend into vigilantism.

This is Sea Shepherd's 10th Antarctic season already.

Yeah, they suck at their job.

Japan doesn't want this to go to court...

:huh:

Umm...duh?

Who would?

that's why it's the one being dragged there now by Australia.

Ooh...you think Australia is pursuing action against Japan...

That's cute.

#12    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

On the wrong side of what law?

I know Australia is pursuing action against Japan and just started a discussion in the 'Natural World' forum about it.   Maybe you'd like to deny it's happening in the discussion there.

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,855 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostYamato, on 30 May 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

Appeasing Japanese government criminals so they don't "get mad" again.   Brilliant tactic there.

What happened last time we cheesed them off?

Off that's right, they decided to find a loophole in the moratorium and went back to whaling.

Lets do that again...... hey wait........... what........

View PostYamato, on 30 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

On the wrong side of what law?

I know Australia is pursuing action against Japan and just started a discussion in the 'Natural World' forum about it.   Maybe you'd like to deny it's happening in the discussion there.

I sure hope he does. :D

#14    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 30 May 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

What happened last time we cheesed them off?

Off that's right, they decided to find a loophole in the moratorium and went back to whaling.

Lets do that again...... hey wait........... what........

I sure hope he does. :D
They can't think of loopholes unless they're cheesed off?   Doubtful.

And they never "went back to whaling" because they've whaled every single year since the global moratorium began.  I call yet another baseless claim.  What evidence do you have that Japan decided to stop whaling for any length of time?

#15    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Maybe the Sea Shepherd and it's crew should concern themselves with the pollution that China and the United States pump into the oceans on a daily basis. We are probably responsible for more whale deaths than the whaling done by the Japanese, the Azores, and the Faroe Islands added up. I guess that doesn't make good T.V. though.

I'm just saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users