Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

greeks gods/goddesses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I was just browsing the internet about the Greek god Zeus and co. And it seems like the first accounts/stories about the Greek god/goddesses, was some where around 800-500 b.c.e.
Well if that's the case, did the people of ancient Greece knew the concept of the god/ god Zeus and co before 800-500 b.c.e.?

Not only Greek gods/myths, what about all other gods/myths in the world in general...

Posted Image

#2    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postjoserock, on 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

i like it...

Attached File  o92sl-3 (dragged).jpg   111.29K   15 downloads

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,806 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 22 January 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

I was just browsing the internet about the Greek god Zeus and co. And it seems like the first accounts/stories about the Greek god/goddesses, was some where around 800-500 b.c.e.
Well if that's the case, did the people of ancient Greece knew the concept of the god/ god Zeus and co before 800-500 b.c.e.?

Not only Greek gods/myths, what about all other gods/myths in the world in general...

Some believe we are all born with a knowledge of higher being(s). What we do with it from there is what sets our beliefs or lack thereof apart.

#4    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,807 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Here's a link on Mycenean religion... http://richard-hooke...INOA/MYCREL.HTM and a link for a timeline of ancient Greece... http://www.religionf...an/timeline.htm

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,493 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I believe that the Greek gods and goddesses were known well before 500 BC... They are referenced in Homer's Illiad and Odessy and Homer is thought to have lived around 850BC...

#6    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I myself have been compared to a Greek god :yes:. Not favorably :no: .

#7    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 22 January 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I myself have been compared to a Greek god :yes:. Not favorably :no: .
Lol!  I always loved Greek and Roman mythology.  Too bad Hollywood keeps messing with it

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#8    Trakkia

Trakkia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• "There are two steps to a journey, setting off and getting there; so just take a step and you're halfway there."
    -Me

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Mythologies came about when people developed their brains to notice gaps, the unexplained, so thats when they made stories and deities to explain them. Or in the case of the crusades, when someone needed an excuse and way to make a quick and cheap army with an excuse to attack some other place.

Or you could do what the romans did and steal it off the last great civilizations thinking "That big guy with a beard got them a great empire, why don't we use him?"

Also, I believe quite a few greek gods have been known to originate in older mythologies, I believe Ares was first used by the Thracians, hence according to even Greek legend he was born there.

"A picture is worth a thousand words, or so they say, so if it is; then here are a thousand and thirty two words to convince you of whatever I need to,"
Now, if you will, imagine a subject appropriate image here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users