Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Costa Rica to ban hunting for sport


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

    One Love

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mexico

  • "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Lawmakers voted 41 in favour of and five against the ban, and a second vote expected in the coming week is widely seen as ratifying changes to the law, which aims to protect animals in one of the world's most biodiverse countries.
Costa Rica's national parks attract some 300,000 visitors annually, and tourism is a mainstay of the economy.

http://www.guardian....t?newsfeed=true

Edited by Still Waters, 03 October 2012 - 06:50 PM.
Source link added

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,614 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

http://www.reuters.c...E89201220121003

As to the item itself: I agree that sport hunting/fishing should be outlawed. Nobody should be allowed to kill anything he does not intend to eat or does not pose a threat to him.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 October 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

http://www.reuters.c...E89201220121003

As to the item itself: I agree that sport hunting/fishing should be outlawed. Nobody should be allowed to kill anything he does not intend to eat or does not pose a threat to him.
That is the part that is tough to define.    Obvious game hunting is easy.   People shooting raccoons in their backyard is more questionable.  Catch and release fishing is a gray area.


#4    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

View Postjugoso, on 03 October 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Lawmakers voted 41 in favour of and five against the ban, and a second vote expected in the coming week is widely seen as ratifying changes to the law, which aims to protect animals in one of the world's most biodiverse countries.
Costa Rica's national parks attract some 300,000 visitors annually, and tourism is a mainstay of the economy.

http://www.guardian....t?newsfeed=true

Any place that can bring in funds from tourism has a lead on everyone else.  Imagine what Cuba could be like had they not shut out the tourism industry.   Back in the early 1900's, Cuba was a big tourist destination.  They have the size, the climate, some of the best beaches in the world, location.  They could be one of the wealthiest nations on tourism alone.


#5    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,614 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostMyles, on 03 October 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Any place that can bring in funds from tourism has a lead on everyone else.  Imagine what Cuba could be like had they not shut out the tourism industry.   Back in the early 1900's, Cuba was a big tourist destination.  They have the size, the climate, some of the best beaches in the world, location.  They could be one of the wealthiest nations on tourism alone.

Doubt that, while Cuba is off limits for most US Americans, Europeans flock to their beaches in the same number as to other Caribbean destinations.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 October 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

Doubt that, while Cuba is off limits for most US Americans, Europeans flock to their beaches in the same number as to other Caribbean destinations.

Yes, but the American market would be huge.   Heck, crappy Mexican tourist traps make a fortune off of Americans.  Cuba could have cashed in.   When I was a travel agent, I received calls every day from people wanting to go to the Caribbean.  Many would ask for advice on places that were not jam packed with people.  That took out most of the islands.


#7    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Bravo Costa Rica!
Just Bravo!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:


#8    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,285 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I hope this helps them rather than hurts. Typically, hunters are the most active group in keeping wildlife and parks going. If this group is completely shut out, I worry that the tourism industry will make inroads to purchase property formally used by hunters to build more "resorts". This is more devestating to the local flora and fauna than anything else. Best of luck to this forward thinking country.


#9    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,501 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostMaestro, on 03 October 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I hope this helps them rather than hurts. Typically, hunters are the most active group in keeping wildlife and parks going. If this group is completely shut out, I worry that the tourism industry will make inroads to purchase property formally used by hunters to build more "resorts". This is more devestating to the local flora and fauna than anything else. Best of luck to this forward thinking country.
Great points.   It very well could backfire.    Makes you wonder what the original intentions for this ban was.   Maybe the tourism cash is the main factor.
I wonder if the cash has been found to keep the wildlife and park funds going?





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users