Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moose Die-Off Alarms Scientists

Still Waters

Across North America — in places as far-flung as Montana and British Columbia, New Hampshire and Minnesota — moose populations are in steep decline. And no one is sure why.

http://www.nytimes.c...rss&emc=0&_r=1

• Like 1

Huh. It seems from the article that regional climate change is causing more parasitic infection problems, which apparently can eventually be lethal to a moose. Even indirectly, as the moose seem to chew or rub their fur off to alleviate the pests, which, in so doing, makes the moose prone to hypothermia.

Hope the scientists can find a solution to this, or whatever the problem is.

• 5 weeks later...

I have lived in NH my whole life, and I must say, when I was younger, I saw a Moose Every 1 or 2 years. For the past 8, I haven't seen one at all. I feel like the population here has already been diminishing, perhaps it is just finally becoming a strong enough trend to be recognized.

Central British Columbia here.

We've only had moose here since the late 1920's but yes, there has been a great reduction in numbers in recent years. Local idiots blame the rise in wolf populations.

They need to maybe create a Moose refuge and breed a good stock of them so they can be protected and periodically let groups of them back into the wild until things get sorted out. The kids from local schools could visit from time to time and learn that Moose are cool and so maybe they will have a generation of people over there that don't want go out kill the poor animals.