Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Obama aides knew of IRS audit

Kowalski

More Obama aides knew of IRS audit; Obama not told

WASHINGTON (AP) — White House chief of staff Denis McDonough and other senior advisers knew in late April that an impending report was likely to say the IRS had inappropriately targeted conservative groups, President Barack Obama's spokesman disclosed Monday, expanding the circle of top officials who knew of the audit beyond those named earlier.

But McDonough and the other advisers did not tell Obama, leaving him to learn about the politically perilous results of the internal investigation from news reports more than two weeks later, officials said.

The Treasury Department also told the White House twice in the weeks leading up to the IRS disclosure that the tax agency planned to make the targeting public, a Treasury official said.

The apparent decision to keep the president in the dark about the matter underscores the White House's cautious legal approach to controversies and reflects a desire by top advisers to distance Obama from troubles threatening his administration.

Obama spokesman Jay Carney defended keeping the president out of the loop on the Internal Revenue Service audit, saying Obama was comfortable with the fact that "some matters are not appropriate to convey to him, and this is one of them."

"It is absolutely a cardinal rule as we see it that we do not intervene in ongoing investigations," Carney said.

Who is running this country???

• Like 4

At this point I'm not sure if I believe them. They might just be trying to take the blame for Obama on the grounds of plausible deniability.

• Like 4

The IRS. Oops, I thought you said ruining.

• Like 4

Welcome to a "fundamentally changed" America. And the ride's but halfway done...

• Like 5

Good guestion.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder who is running it. I put my money on the banks and corporations.

• Like 4

It's just like Benghazi. Something like this happens, and no one thinks it's important enough to tell the President?? Seriously? :no:

And how do we know their not lying or covering for him so they don't lose their jobs?

• Like 5

The simple fact of the matter is that the President (any President) cannot be aware of every Depts actions. To do so would be to completely paralyse the function of Govt. It really does not matter which grouping of people the IRS target because there will be defaulters, tax evaders in every single one of them. Tell me I am wrong!

@Kowalski... how do you KNOW they are lying? Or are you just resorting to hyperbole and finger pointing?

Edited by keithisco

The simple fact of the matter is that the President (any President) cannot be aware of every Depts actions. To do so would be to completely paralyse the function of Govt. It really does not matter which grouping of people the IRS target because there will be defaulters, tax evaders in every single one of them. Tell me I am wrong!

@Kowalski... how do you KNOW they are lying? Or are you just resorting to hyperbole and finger pointing?

I didn't SAY they were lying.

I said How do we know they aren't lying.....

That is what obama did during his first term, hyperbole and finger pointing. Now it is just hyperbole.

That is what obama did during his first term, hyperbole and finger pointing. Now it is just hyperbole.

Yep, it's always Bush's fault.....

Everyone on the WH Staff knew but the smartest man to ever sit as president. Remember we were told that when Obama the community organizer was running for president. I was astounded that anyone could buy that rubbish about such a sleazy man.

• Like 3

You could be wrong but I won't join your battle of absolutes. I will however just throw it out there and say that the TEA Party are one of the biggest political enemies of Obamas career, if not thee biggest of them all. Would I be absolutely wrong to suggest that it is unreasonable to believe that the POTUS knew nothing of this when everybody all the way up to the White House Chief of Staff knew about this little thing? All I'm talking about is wether he knew and not the devious scheme and who set it up. If he didn't know, there is something wrong. If he did there is even more wrong.

Btw, the point of this post is that while I agree that every little thing being brought up would paralyze government(though I think thats a dramatic description) but this isn't/wasn't some fleeting issue best left to his lackeys to handle without his consent ever, let alone during an election cycle.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

You proceed from a false assumption. no one person. It's an entire administration.

You proceed from a false assumption. no one person. It's an entire administration.

Unless it is Bush. :w00t:

• Like 2

You're right Merc. The answer was never so nonchalant when GW was in office. Or since he's been out of office. In fact, according to ninja, many of his comments here putting all blame solely on Bush are now rendered null and void.

• Like 2

Morons apparently .

I don't think ,and this is a huge statement,I ever felt as betrayed and helpless ,by even the Bush administration .

This is all just so much crap ,on top of crap .

I don't think anyone feels confident about the admin at all,which means a false flag to make us feel all warm and fuzzy again,is coming .

Thing is ,with all the false flag talk,everyone is false flagged out. I think they make us feel more helpless .

• Like 1

It absolutely astionishes me that any one with even the slightest intellect could and would still defend obama.

It must be nice being able to just skip through life with blinders on and so selectively absorb only the information that reconfirms your narrow minded, self rightous and self serving views. To hell with the truth, the country, the constitution and the american way of life.

Commander-in-Chief, ha that's a laugh, he can't even keep track of his own administration, never mind run the country.

• Like 7

What they did is take the Tea Paarty out of the game after the butt-whoopin' they put on the democrats in 2010. it was intentional and run from the top. Chicago politics at its ugliest and I would go after Valerie Jarrett because her fingerprints are all over it. Of course, you have to get rid of that crook Holder first.

• Like 5

You have to remember that liberals don't think government can do no wrong.

• Like 2

This whole thing is pretty disgusting, but nothing will come of it. Congress will ask their questions, the IRS officials will say they don't know and then the public will forget.

• Like 2

IRS, Obama, and plausible deniability

I thought this was a good article.... This quote about sums it up for me.

Which sounds worse? Obama the Liar who knew everything or Obama the Dense who knew nothing? Obama surrogates have a hard time choosing the lesser of two evils.

It is pretty black and white (No racism intended BTW) that President Obama either did or did not know of these various scandals. So, he's either a big fat Liar, or his Staff are running a secret government behind his back.

• Like 5

President Obama either did or did not know of these various scandals. So, he's either a big fat Liar, or his Staff are running a secret government behind his back.

Only if you consider these "scandals". And they are not.

Only if you consider these "scandals". And they are not.

Of course their not, the irs and doj do these thing no matter who is office. Ain't that right ninja.

The irs was profiling.