Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Time traveler" caught in museum photo ?

UM-Bot

An intriguing photograph from the 1940s showing a man in modern clothing has been doing the rounds on the web. The photograph shows a crowd of people at the reopening of the South Fork Bridge in British Columbia, one of the people there however is wearing shades, a modern looking top and has a portable camera. But is it really a mystery ?

"It’s the short description for the photograph shown at the virtual Bralorne Pioneer Museum, from British Columbia, Canada. The image can be seen specifically on this page (scroll down to the middle), among other items of the online exhibit. Did you notice anything out of place? Or perhaps, out of time?"

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: forgetomori

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pallidin

• DieChecker

• ShadowSot

• 27vet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats just an original photograph that happens to have a taller than average male standing within it, while wearing unusual clothing for that time period, the glasses are of the time if not earlier, the jumper is probably a local high school type thing, hair style just up and out style, nothing to see here just one young man dressing the way he wants, unusual then but in todays terms he looks boringly normal ;)

This could be 2 things. Either the photo has been edited to place a man of modern times into a 1940's picture and call him a "time traveler" or it might have been a local party or something with a 1940's theme here in the modern time and the guy in the picture didn't bother to dress up.

You know that it's "internet people" that have reached this obvious conclusion.

Internet people! Can we trust them?

This could be 2 things. Either the photo has been edited to place a man of modern times into a 1940's picture and call him a "time traveler" or it might have been a local party or something with a 1940's theme here in the modern time and the guy in the picture didn't bother to dress up.

Or as the article states

The outfit could also be found 70 years ago. Being used as we are to our contemporary fashion, we look at the man and assume he’s wearing a stamped T-shirt, something that would be indeed out of place (or time). But if you look carefully, you can see that he’s actually wearing (or could as well be wearing) a sweatshirt. And sweatshirts with bordered emblems were not uncommon in the 1940s – in fact you can find those in other photos from the same exhibit.

Get me an antique photo with a bluetooth piece, and Ipod, and one of those hideous new Pepsi bottles, then we'll talk.

Get me an antique photo with a bluetooth piece, and Ipod, and one of those hideous new Pepsi bottles, then we'll talk.

HAHAHA. Yea that's about it.

Well, I don't have an antique photo, but I have a photo of my aunt Tique.

Just some picture of a guy. I'm surprised that this was found here in BC, I wonder if the museum employee's don't know about photoshop! :lol:

Well, I don't have an antique photo, but I have a photo of my aunt Tique.

Haha, :lol:

The shirt could very well have something written on it. It was called silk screening people. People used to make their own designs and print them on their shirts. It's been around hundreds of years.

The guy appears to be holding a camera. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as he is not going to use a flash. They needed flash bulb cartrages back then that attached to the top of the camera. The resolution is not enough to see if there is a attachment point on top of the camera.

This guy could easily belong in the picture.

I cropped and blew up the guy in question.

post-26883-127161380652_thumb.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

THE DOCTOR!

:unsure2:

The first known printed t-shirt was "The Smithsonian museum has ‘the oldest printed T-shirt’ on record in their collection and on display. It is a campaign shirt for New York Gov. Thomas Dewey's 1948 presidential campaign." - from http://www.zoozoo2.com/t-shirt-history.html - If this picture was taken in 1940 - that would be 8 years before - strange.

The shirt could very well have something written on it. It was called silk screening people. People used to make their own designs and print them on their shirts. It's been around hundreds of years.

The guy appears to be holding a camera. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as he is not going to use a flash. They needed flash bulb cartrages back then that attached to the top of the camera. The resolution is not enough to see if there is a attachment point on top of the camera.

This guy could easily belong in the picture.

I cropped and blew up the guy in question.

If you read the article you'll notice he ISN'T holding the camera, its the guy behind him holding it. very strange..... also "silk Screening" wasnt around til the late 40's....

I have pixs of my Dad circa 1940 with the same haircut...also wearing a college letterman's sweater. I really don't think this has anything to do with time travel. :no:

:mellow: Fake...totally fake, :unsure: docted it up to gain attention on the internet. :sleepy: Dont' believe in anything you see on the net, because chances are something like a "time travel" photo is a fake. Then again, my bro spoke of his childhood dream of time travel and guess who appears inthe American bicentennial photo at the Mall in Washington DC on the "Our Century" book written by Peter Jennings? It looks like him dressed in typically 1970s clothing, :blink: and stares at the festivities behind a woman in a Dolly Madison costume. Edited by Archangel Michael

My thoughts... cause I know you wanna read them! lol...

The arm is strange, however he might be pushing through the crowd.

His clothing and general appearance are not. His height is no indicator either, my grandfather who was alive and in his twenties at the time of the photo was 6 foot 6.

The light source seems consistant. So either he is there, or the photoshoppers are a bit smarter than normal... but then the arm again!

I know a guy (strange guy) who dresses like he lives in the forties. In photos (of which I haven't any) I would assume he would look out of place, cause he sure does just walking around. So it might seem that he is a time traveller from the past!

Edited by Spectre1979

It is not a hoax, and it is not a time traveler. It could be someone who is a little taller than average, with a camera and sunglasses. That camera he has isn't like a Panasonic Lumix or anything either.

Because you see parties like that all the time? lol do they actually have those?

If you read the article you'll notice he ISN'T holding the camera, its the guy behind him holding it. very strange.....

Rubbish. He's holding the camera. Why would someone behind and to his right hold a camera in that position at center of the abdomen? Are tehy trying to give him a free camera? Are his arms gone or broken? There isn't even a good camera angle from there, just the backs of heads.

also "silk Screening" wasnt around til the late 40's....

Rubbish again... The process was well known and used decades, if not centuries, before that. From wiki

Screen printing first appeared in a recognizable form in China during the Song Dynasty (9601279 AD).

Screen printing was largely introduced to Western Europe from Asia sometime in the late 1700s, but did not gain large acceptance or use in Europe until silk mesh was more available for trade from the east and a profitable outlet for the medium discovered.

Screen printing was first patented in England by Samuel Simon in 1907.

Early in the 1910s, several printers experimenting with photo-reactive chemicals used the well-known actinic light activated cross linking or hardening traits of potassium, sodium or ammonium Chromate and dichromate chemicals with glues and gelatin compounds.

Joseph Ulano founded the industry chemical supplier Ulano and in 1928 created a method of applying a lacquer soluble stencil material to a removable base.

Originally a profitable industrial technology, screen printing was eventually adopted by artists as an expressive and conveniently repeatable medium for duplication well before the 1900s.

A group of artists who later formed the National Serigraphic Society coined the word Serigraphy in the 1930s to differentiate the artistic application of screen printing from the industrial use of the process.

Edited by DieChecker

If you read the article you'll notice he ISN'T holding the camera, its the guy behind him holding it. very strange..... also "silk Screening" wasnt around til the late 40's....

If you take a closer look, it does actually look like its the guy behind him, that has his arms around him... why he has that? now thats the real mystery here! lol

If you look closely, he is wearing a vest sweater, with a coat under it and the shirt with the lettering/print. the coat matches the covering on his arm. The guy behind him can't be placing his arm that way from that angle, the guys upper are would have to be unnaturally long with normal length lower forarms and hands, that just does not make sense and He would be the one we notice on this pic, not the so called time traveller.