Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. life expectancy reaches record high

FollowTheTrail

''The US birth rate may have plateaued in the 1990s, but that doesn't mean there aren't more people strolling - or scootering - on our sidewalks. A new set of statistics has revealed that US life expectancy has reached a new record high, with the average person expected to live for at least 78.8 years.

That's at least according to a new "Mortality in the United States" Data Brief from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...''

More: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/9461/20141008/life-expectancy-reaches-record-high.htm

• Like 2

U.S. life expectancy reaches record high.

Ya, it's called "drugs.

Edited by Ogbin
  • Like 2

Ya, it's called "drugs.

I doubt that. Drugs aren't going to add that much if you've reached the point that you need them to live. I'd guess it's healthier lifestyles. My grandparents ate red meat and smoked their entire lives, now you go outside after work where I live and see people jogging, they have memberships and gyms, do hot yoga and eat well.

I doubt that. Drugs aren't going to add that much if you've reached the point that you need them to live. I'd guess it's healthier lifestyles. My grandparents ate red meat and smoked their entire lives, now you go outside after work where I live and see people jogging, they have memberships and gyms, do hot yoga and eat well.

Ehh, that's part of it. Medical interventions, which include drugs and other treatments also go a long way. I just got out of the cath lab after dropping a DES (drug-eluting stent) into some dudes LAD (left anterior descending coronary artery). He had a 80% mid LAD obstructive lesion. His RCA (right main coronary artery) had a complete proximal occlusion. All his collateral supply to the RCA territory was fed by the LAD. In other-words he was a hop, skip and jump away from a coronary event that would have resulted in a massive MI (myocardial infarct) to the entire left and right ventricles. With a lesion like that (a time bomb) he probably had a few years at most. He was 71. So long as he is adherent to his medications (plavix and asa) to prevent in-stent stenosis/thrombosis, his stent will endothealize and his coronaries will continue to perfuse his myocardium for many years to come. He most likely will make it to that new average life expectancy now.

Likewise I started someone on an ACE-inhibitor (lisinopril) and a beta-blocker (coreg) today for new onset congestive heart failure. Both prevent remodeling of the myocardium. Which significantly slows the progression of CHF. Both these drugs reduce morbidity and mortality associated with CHF. Or more bluntly they prolong life, significantly so.

Eating good and exercising is great, we still have genes though and that means whether we control for environmental risk factors or not we still suffer from disease. Medicines and interventions slow, stop or even sometimes reverse those processes increasing the life expectancy. CHF 40-50 years ago was a 5 year death sentence. HIV in the 80s was a couple year death sentence. NIDDM or IDDM (non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus/insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, aka "type 2" and "type 1") even used to be a death sentence. Time to mortality all now prolonged with medicines.

Edited by Copasetic
  • Like 3

Makes me chuckle when I read all of the foodwoo peddlers out there like the Food Babe, Natural News, etc. and they say that cancer rates are skyrocketing, don't eat GMOs, yoga mat bread, pumpkin spice death coffees, etc.

The data says otherwise.

• Like 1

well, those claims really do not contradict data, lifespan may very well be increasing, but so are death rates. there is also data of cancer rates increasing, no surprice either, for all those things listed above, also amount of people increases. more die from cancer, but those that lucky not to get it, live longer.

actually cancer is not the biggest killer, heart problems are. not by much , but still.

Edited by aztek

well, those claims really do not contradict data, lifespan may very well be increasing, but so are death rates. there is also data of cancer rates increasing, no surprice either, for all those things listed above, also amount of people increases. more die from cancer, but those that lucky not to get it, live longer.

actually cancer is not the biggest killer, heart problems are. not by much , but still.

You are funny, accusing me of making up facts. In point of fact it would be impossible for lifespans to be lengthening if death rates were not going down. Death rates from heart disease are dropping the most, but death rates from cancer are also dropping.

Take all the drugs you want, eat as healthy as you choose, or hide in a hole, it will gain you nothing. The fates wove the skein of your life and Odin determined when and how you would die at the conception of the universe.

• Like 2

Take all the drugs you want, eat as healthy as you choose, or hide in a hole, it will gain you nothing. The fates wove the skein of your life and Odin determined when and how you would die at the conception of the universe.

pretty much, lol, but if you lucky enough to not have cancer or heart disease, you will live longer, and even if you do, you may stil live longer, as compared to how long you'd live 20 years ago with the same disease. they may not cure cancer yet, but they can make you live longer with it., or in between.

i do not think odin has anything to do with your health, i agree genes, play big role, but lifestyle does too. take smoking for example, do all smokers get lung cancer?? no, does everyone that gets lung cancer smokes? no. does smoking "helps" you to get cancer, 99.9% yes according to curent reaserch.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

You are funny, accusing me of making up facts. In point of fact it would be impossible for lifespans to be lengthening if death rates were not going down. Death rates from heart disease are dropping the most, but death rates from cancer are also dropping.

i accuse you of ignoring reality, because most of the time you do, espesially when talking about usa, when i see you make up facts, i prove you wrong, not accuse you. but most of the time i accuse you of outright stupidity, when imo you show it. but i also admit when you are right, and when i'm wrong.

actually in this case, i used wrong term, i should have said numbers not rates. yes overall rate depens on death reates,

there you go frank,

Q: Are the number of cancer cases increasing or decreasing in the world?

A: Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide and the total number of cases globally is increasing

http://www.who.int/features/qa/15/en/

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

i accuse you of ignoring reality, because most of the time you do, espesially when talking about usa, when i see you make up facts, i prove you wrong, not accuse you. but most of the time i accuse you of outright stupidity, when imo you show it. but i also admit when you are right, and when i'm wrong.

actually in this case, i used wrong term, i should have said numbers not rates. yes overall rate depens on death reates,

there you go frank,

Q: Are the number of cancer cases increasing or decreasing in the world?

A: Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide and the total number of cases globally is increasing

http://www.who.int/features/qa/15/en/

You changed the rules to avoid admitting you were wrong -- the story is about American life expectancies. Still, you probably still are wrong if you took out Africa.

You changed the rules to avoid admitting you were wrong -- the story is about American life expectancies. Still, you probably still are wrong if you took out Africa.

lol, i did not change or made any rules, i admited i used wrong word.

What Frank said.

What Frank said.

well than let me ask you and frank this.

numbers of people diagnosed with cancer increases, as per who

there is no permanent cure for cancer, everyone with cancer will die all we can do is prolong the life.

so life span of cancer patient also increases, (thus longer lifespan statistically)

but more people dying from it, even if later in life. they still die.

so how does deaths from cancer have any affect on life expectancy???

Edited by aztek

Ya, it's called "drugs.

ZING!!!

numbers of people diagnosed with cancer increases, as per who

Cancer is a disease of aging for the most part. The longer people, the more we expect we will see it. When people aren't dying young violent deaths or easily curable infectious illnesses that used to wrack the world, the incidence of cancer will increase. This has to do with what cancer is---accumulations of mutations to cell lines. Googable if you want more info.

there is no permanent cure for cancer, everyone with cancer will die all we can do is prolong the life.

Cancer isn't a homogenous disease, the word 'cancer' describes many different diseases. Some are amenable to cure, some aren't.

so how does deaths from cancer have any affect on life expectancy???

Look up what life expectancy is and how it is calculated.

• Like 1

Cancer is a disease of aging for the most part. The longer people, the more we expect we will see it. When people aren't dying young violent deaths or easily curable infectious illnesses that used to wrack the world, the incidence of cancer will increase. This has to do with what cancer is---accumulations of mutations to cell lines. Googable if you want more info.

i'm not sure what you mean by this statement, which was supposed to be a responce for my "numbers of people diagnosed with cancer increases, as per who"

so are you disputing WHO statment? i did not really talk about mechanincs of the disease, or what is its nature.