Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU leader warns UK over powers

Render

The man who chairs EU summits, Herman Van Rompuy, has warned that UK attempts to repatriate powers from the EU could seriously fracture the 27-nation bloc.

Mr Van Rompuy told the UK's Guardian newspaper that if every state were able to "cherry pick" EU policies "the union in general, and the single market in particular, would soon unravel".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20860312

Yup.

yeap, because the Brits saying "maybe we'll make our own decisions on some things" will destroy ghe Union and Greece and a dozen other countries/being in staggeringly cripling economic collapse won'r.

its not cherry picking its the United Kingdom forming the direction of the EU. as a member its only right that if we do not agree on a issue we bring it to attention. each member should stand up for their own interests. and only agreements should be reached when everyone from the top to the bottom benefits. instead of the current - If it benefits 20 members and not the other seven the other seven are asked to accept the conditions because of the greater good. it just leaves the seven members scratching their heads.

I think its great and about time we seen a strong UK in the EU, we are a fully paid up member and have the right to stand up for our own interest. Who is this Mr Herman Van Rompuy. a failed Belgian politician not even elected to the position he currently holds as president of Europe, he's being paid more than the US President, - and yet here he is trying to lecture/warn the British Nation. - we'll treat him with the respect he deserves, we'll simple ignore him.

• Like 4

I wonder just what we gain from being in the EU more than we would being out, do we actually export more than we would being separate, is our economy or security any safer, to someone who doesn't fully understand the EU we seem to pay an awful lot into, get bullied by without having any clear benefits.

I wonder just what we gain from being in the EU more than we would being out, do we actually export more than we would being separate, is our economy or security any safer, to someone who doesn't fully understand the EU we seem to pay an awful lot into, get bullied by without having any clear benefits.

• Like 2

Thanks interesting youtube,

I did wonder about this export myth, many countries are not in the EU who do quite well with exports, the far east for example

LOL health and safety ..enuff said

I don't like unemployment being blamed on immigration, how big is down to opinion but it is a factor

LOL at Boris he wants out but still want to go to Spain every year on holiday

apologies for the odd reply I've commented on the issues as they came in the video, the rest was self explanatory and common sense like fisheries and agriculture, subsidizing French farmers etc etc I personally feel how can we fail...even if the economy took a dive we would do what's needed to bring it back, I think its quite insulting to say we need the EU or that without them we would fail

Thanks interesting youtube,

I did wonder about this export myth, many countries are not in the EU who do quite well with exports, the far east for example

LOL health and safety ..enuff said

I don't like unemployment being blamed on immigration, how big is down to opinion but it is a factor

LOL at Boris he wants out but still want to go to Spain every year on holiday

apologies for the odd reply I've commented on the issues as they came in the video, the rest was self explanatory and common sense like fisheries and agriculture, subsidizing French farmers etc etc I personally feel how can we fail...even if the economy took a dive we would do what's needed to bring it back, I think its quite insulting to say we need the EU or that without them we would fail

at the end of the day the EU is moving towards a federal state, for the EU to work they need one currency, one central bank, one central government. its the ultimate and only aim. see the rules, any new EU member has to adopt the Euro currency.

the question is do you want to be self governed or governed by a foreign power.

i think one of the best political speeches made by any party leader.

Edited by stevewinn

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, its great and about time we seen a strong UK in the EU.

Thats not what anyone asking for a renegotiation wants - they want a weakened EU where the UK gets all the benefits without sharing any of the burdens.

Br Cornelius

I love all of this Nationalistic Tub - Thumping :yes:

The UK should really just leave - I would support that position with gusto. The UK never understood what the EU was about, they thought they could just take the best bits and not have any commitment to supporting the ideology of the EU. They thought they could change the rest of Europe to believe in their own Commonwealth Principles.

Small Nation, Small Minded People, Small Ideas...

Reality check!! India, Australia, Canada, Australia, South Africa, USA do not need you.... :w00t:

The UK should really just leave - I would support that position with gusto. The UK never understood what the EU was about, they thought they could just take the best bits and not have any commitment to supporting the ideology of the EU. They thought they could change the rest of Europe to believe in their own Commonwealth Principles.

Reality check!! India, Australia, Canada, Australia, South Africa, USA do not need you.... :w00t:

how about turning your argument 360 degrees. and saying that maybe the UK joined the EU for the benefits it offers but not the disadvantages, seeing that we are a paid up member we are within our right to call to question anything we dont like, - are we to remain silent? are we to just go along with whatever they say without question NO. if the EU is to work it has to listen to all its members not just the select few. it would be wrong just to carry on regardless, its foolish to think 27 countries will agree totally and a one size fits all solution exists. just look at the Euro for a brilliant example. its benefits Germany - but not Greece.

im starting to have second thoughts on our role within the EU. we are seeing is a strong UK taking on the other big boys who for far to long have been running the show, dictating to the rest, now someone is standing up to them they simply dont like it. we are in it for the advantages not the disadvantages.

the line is The UK is showing its position of strength and some dont like it. - IE holds a veto, third biggest economy in the EU and net contributor. why should we roll over and accept the unacceptable when we dont have to. lets reform the EU for the UK. lets accept the bits we like and get back any powers we desire.

Just how much did Spain understand the EU...its almost bankrupt...... :yes:

It appears Spain needs us at least as Tourism (the UK, Germany, France and Italy being the main visitor origins) is what's keeping Spain afloat...... :w00t:

The EU bought into the same NeoLiberal fantasy as the rest of the ****ed world, it don't work so the economy is ****ed. Any country or group of countries which follows the idea that the market is a magical self rectifying entity (the new secular theology) will see its economy lurch from boom to bust with a tiny fraction of the population who are sufficiently ahead of the curve lapping up all the worlds wealth as they anticipate/precipitate those very boom bust cycles.

The richest people in the world have got considerably richer over the last 6years. Its like a one way vacuum cleaner for real productivity and like godzilla rampaging across the lives of whole nations.

The frank reality is that were all in the **** heap together whether we are in or out of the EU. The real question is - how boyant is little old UK all by itself. Its a question of insulating yourself from the rising tide of crap.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The EU bought into the same NeoLiberal fantasy as the rest of the ****ed world, it don't work so the economy is ****ed. Any country or group of countries which follows the idea that the market is a magical self rectifying entity (the new secular theology) will see its economy lurch from boom to bust with a tiny fraction of the population who are sufficiently ahead of the curve lapping up all the worlds wealth as they anticipate/precipitate those very boom bust cycles.

The richest people in the world have got considerably richer over the last 6years. Its like a one way vacuum cleaner for real productivity and like godzilla rampaging across the lives of whole nations.

The frank reality is that were all in the **** heap together whether we are in or out of the EU. The real question is - how boyant is little old UK all by itself. Its a question of insulating yourself from the rising tide of crap.

Br Cornelius

After reading your post about Failed NeoLiberalism, to which you said you agreed with the piece you posted. it now seems you have seen the error. its almost as if you have stumbled over the truth. am surprised its taken you this long. - anyway, never mind that.

Truth is were not all in a heap of **** together as you seem to think. - the insular inward looking europhiles are their own worst enemy, the only ones who are in dire straits and IN IT TOGETHER are the EU countries who have lumbered themselves with the Euro Currency. signing their futures over to a foreign power.

One worrying aspect of the EU is how very rapidly their flagship project, the Euro, has gotten into trouble. Most currencies tick over quite happily for centuries; even Imperial Rome under a succession of certifiable loonies, a low-productivity slave economy and the fiscal policies from hell took centuries to debase its currency into the ground. Howling barbarians like the Dark Age English kingdoms managed to keep going for over a thousand years on primitive monarchism and didn't c*** up. Even the UK Labour Party in the seventies, handicapped by trades union influences and the approximate intelligence of a decomposing turd, only needed the one bail-out from the IMF.

But look at the Euro, designed by the finest minds on a continent (along with the French) and bankrolled by the industrial might of Germany; there surely was a currency that was destined for the long run? Well, we've had a decade of use out of it, and now the whole thing seems to be rolling along under inertia and pretty much nothing else. A lot of nations seem all of a sudden to have decided to take inventories of their physical gold holdings (pretty easy for us, after Gordon Brown flogged a lot of it) and ship it back to home territory, and quite a few other little things seem to be happening too.

Several of the "European partners" have quietly reinstated border controls, especially where shiftless Eastern Europeans are concerned. Eurocrats seem to have gotten suddenly even more greedy than before, as if to glom onto one last bonanza before the party finishes. Most European governments have become suddenly tax-hungry all of a sudden, and are cracking down on tax evasion even to the point of treating with criminal data-thieves to obtain info on defaulters (quite how this works, when the veracity of such info cannot be trusted, I really do not know).

Basically the European Experiment is dying on its feet, and everyone (with the exception of Cameron) seems to be preparing for the end of the fun, Let us leave now, and avoid the rush later.

so without worrying how buoyant is the UK?. the Question should be how buoyant is the EU/Euro which as no track record. - But as for the UK which, you seem to be concerned about - as far as buoyancy goes she's as buoyant as she's ever been over the centuries still using the same currency and institutions, tried and tested is the answer. ship shape and bristol fashion. that is why we can see a future outside of a failed EU. the truth is why should we stay aboard the; 'ship EU Titanic' furiously hand pumping out water with the other 26 crew members. when we could launch the lifeboat and see who follows. those who want to go down with the ship do so - of their own accord.

• Like 1

The Euro is in no worse state than the Dollar or Stirling, in fact it is probably in better shape. When you have an unregulated financial market the state of the Euro is inevitable - just as the state of stirling is inevitable. The economic solution proposed by the UK is to print more money and devalue its currency, but that will destroy the economy as sure as anything. There is nothing magical about the Euro - its a currency with issues like all currencies. In a world where growth was possible it would correct itself. However growth is no longer possible due to the energy crunch so it will destabalize further along with all the other economies which have followed the same trajectory - and that means all of them. The only people who will do well in the coming years are those which are net exporters of energy - which aint the UK.

Like most tories Steve, you confuse the effects with the causes, and use it to beat the same old ideological dogs you have always beaten.

I still feel confident in saying that the UK will be considerably worse off afloat on the open see of an economic system which is coming crashing down in all corners of the Globe. Like the dingy skipper out in a tornado. You live in a country which has resolutely refused to address its fundamental systemic problems in favour of looking after its spiv friends in the city of London (the cause of its problems). You and your UKIP friends are like the orchestra on the bridge of the sinking Titanic.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

You go to love marxism... not happy ot sink any economy but then wanting to blame others for it...

So true.

It amuses me that people view the option of leaving the EU as ludicrous and are so dismissive of those of us who think there is a choice, There will come a time not so far away where the people who were so sure of themselves will regret their faith in a project which will see what little democracy we have left taken from us,

Are we that pathetic, that unsure of ourselves, that fearful and gutless, well maybe we are, for years labour have been dumbing down our kids and our history, chipping away at our laws and freedoms, executing agenda 21 policies and ensuring that all we can do is roll over and beg for help, nothing thats happening now is happening by accident ... its coming and we deserve what we get, it's your choice.

It'll be too late to b**** about it further down the line, because then the same politicians will just say.... 'we didn't listen to you & made a mistake, but if you vote for us next time we'll make it all better' just like labour did with their immigration policy.

If you are more than with the way the country has been governed for the last 30 years then just vote for the usual suspects or just don't vote at all, that way nothing will change.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

We did not even join in with the Euro, so how can it financially affect us so much? Why are we paying to be in the EU, how much are they making out of that alone with the rate of exchange?

Not been a fan of NeoLiberal free market fundamentalism (which is the system we operate now and which has caused the current financial crisis) doesn't make you a marxist. Flawed logic there which shows you really don't understand what you are talking about.

Let me state, before you ask what is the alternative, well I think a Social Democratic model with a strong regulatory framework and a strong industrial strategy would be far better and Germany seems to do rather well on it. It is the dead weight of countries which failed to follow such a lead and went all out for a deregulated and corrupt neoLiberal model which is dragging Germany down as we speak.

There are alternatives which aren't Marxist or fundamentalist NeoLiberal :tu:

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Not been a fan of NeoLiberal free market fundamentalism (which is the system we operate now and which has caused the current financial crisis) doesn't make you a marxist. Flawed logic there which shows you really don't understand what you are talking about.

Let me state, before you ask what is the alternative, well I think a Social Democratic model with a strong regulatory framework and a strong industrial strategy would be far better and Germany seems to do rather well on it. It is the dead weight of countries which failed to follow such a lead and went all out for a deregulated and corrupt neoLiberal model which is dragging Germany down as we speak.

There are alternatives which aren't Marxist or fundamentalist NeoLiberal :tu:

Br Cornelius

When you will see a neo liberal free market on this planet.... Wave at me will you... because so far all I see is subsidized businesses that run on workers money.. no wonder we are so deep in the hole.

And...I forgot....just a suggestion, read Adam Smith, when you're done re-read and re-re-read...

Edited by Paracelse

Just to prove my neo liberal free market fundies opinion I would like to show something:

Europe's €50bn bung that enriches landowners and kills wildlife

The EU's farm subsidies are a modern equivalent of feudal aid. As Europe suffers under austerity, it's right to call for reform

From here

And then this:

Bigger harvest to lift EU wheat stocks by 40%

The world's biggest wheat harvest, the European Union's, is to rise this year, lifting inventories by 40%, despite damage from cold weather in many areas, and a threat from a drought in Spain.

The European Commission, in its first estimate for this year's harvests, pegged the soft wheat crop at just under 133m tonnes, a rise of 3.2m tonnes over the 2011 result.

From this thread

How well but what would I know .. I'm just a dummb fundie

Edited by Paracelse

The EU is all about increasing interstate competition, hence it is anti-government subsidy of business (it will fine you for doing that) on the principle that a free and open deregulated market is the most competitive and strengthens the union. It strongly discourages Nationalization of industry and sets only minimal labour laws.

The cap was a response to the food crisis post WWII and is been slowly rolled back on each CAP negation round - it offends the principles of the EU. However it has been very effective at produce cheap and abundant food throughout the EU and for export. All governments have always intervened in food policy to ensure reliable food supplies for their populations - the EU is no different to the pre-EU United Kingdom or that bastion of the free market, the USA.

And yes the EU has adopted most of the policies of that flag barer of the NeoLiberal ideology - the IMF and world bank. The dirty little secret of the NeoLiberal economists is that they rig the rules to favour certain institutions and investment bodies, but that should be well know by anyone who has looked into the actual deeds of the Chicago school of economics and Milton Friedman its poster boy.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The EU is all about increasing interstate competition, hence it is anti-government subsidy of business (it will fine you for doing that) on the principle that a free and open deregulated market is the most competitive and strengthens the union. It strongly discourages Nationalization of industry and sets only minimal labour laws.

The cap was a response to the food crisis post WWII and is been slowly rolled back on each CAP negation round - it offends the principles of the EU. However it has been very effective at produce cheap and abundant food throughout the EU and for export. All governments have always intervened in food policy to ensure reliable food supplies for their populations - the EU is no different to the pre-EU United Kingdom or that bastion of the free market, the USA.

And yes the EU has adopted most of the policies of that flag barer of the NeoLiberal ideology - the IMF and world bank. The dirty little secret of the NeoLiberal economists is that they rig the rules to favour certain institutions and investment bodies, but that should be well know by anyone who has looked into the actual deeds of the Chicago school of economics and Milton Friedman its poster boy.

Br Cornelius

You are yet again taking crony capitalism not true free market capitalism that Milton Friedman advocated.

You are yet again taking crony capitalism not true free market capitalism that Milton Friedman advocated.

Milton Friedman said one thing and did another - he was the main ring leader of the Chilean revolution and thought it fine for the military junta to rig the market to line its own pockets. When push came to shove he was as cronie as anyone else when it came to implementing his ideas.

Of course those ideas are a species of magical thinking which is akin to a theology.

Br Cornelius

You could try Fascist Consumerism which we is where we are today in USofA. The only economy comes from us spending money on goods from foreign country and services provided by fascist cronies.

Br Cornelius

Fascinating how it's always the same thing rehashed over and over again. IMF and World Bank aren't capitalist organizations they are socialists, They are the one taking money from the poor of rich countries to give to the rich of poor countries. There isn't a single organism on this planet that would survive without subsidies. Only true capitalism is in Communist China, the cheapest labor possible and the highest market in the world thanks to the stoopidity of those who buy their products. Whereas EU farmers they are the one who want the cake and eat it too. Guess what: it's the consummer who pays the price... there isn't such thing as a free lunch, money has to come from somewhere, in this case it's borrowed and it puts all countries in debt .... to whom? IMF and World Bank... but hey.. you love to live in as a slave that fine, there are some of us who can still think for themselves and love their freedom to think and to be. Another good book to read would be Etienne de la Boetie; Discourse on voluntary servitude.