Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Walking Dead (TV Series)

Bracket

So what was everyones feelings about

Carl shooting the guy?

personaly i agree with Carl

I personally disagree with the action. Though the kid was hesitating to drop the gun he was obviously posing no immediate threat. The gun was stretched away from his body, it wasn't pointed at Carl or Hershel or anyone. Adding to this that the people of Woodbury were only attacking because the Governor lied to them about how dangerous Rick and Co. were. I think if given the chance, the kid would have realised that he'd been lied to, and felt very apologetic about attacking the prison.

Put the shoe on the other foot, if the situation were reversed, would the Governor have been right to shoot Carl when he was clearly handing over his gun to surrender? I reckon we would have hated the Governor for shooting an unarmed Carl. Certainly Rick would have blamed the Governor for his actions

• Like 1

So what was everyones feelings about

Carl shooting the guy?

personaly i agree with Carl

They told the guy, who had just finished attacking them and was now outnumbered 3-1, three times to put his gun down and he wouldn't do it. Sorry but there are two many crazies out there and I wouldn't risk one of mine getting shot so boom, out goes the light buddy. in other words, I agree with Carl's decsion.

• Like 1

I'm not going to bother with spoilers, I watched the show on Monday and assume everyone has by now seen it as well.

Thank God, Lauries ghost and Andrea are dead YES! Milton he was never really developed enough to have strong feelings for. The Gov, I don't think he's gone for good, somewhere in the future he'll be back.

I can only think that the prison feels safe and home to Ricks group which is why they went back there. As to the others being old or children well most can still learn to use a weapon, help strengthen the place, maybe they can even get the middle gate fixed and while it might be a slower job they can finally get the field plowed and grow crops like what was first planned.

Karl, I'm in 2 minds about. The guy should have dropped the gun straight away when asked even I was questioning was he going to attack as he was stalling. I think Karl has had to grow up too fast and in a world none of us can imagine, in that world a second can mean life or death I'm concerned that his mental status may really be at threat, we'll just have to hope there's a psych in the new group.

• Like 1

Nooooo!! I missed the finale, I was so sure I recorded it so I ccould watch it later but it only got 3 minutes :( I knew I should of never gone to that Easter party...can you watch it online?

Well, thier is a website called wacth1channle.com I go too wacth the show.

Really glad Andrea is dead she was getting on my nerves really badly. Actually bring the suviors is a smart move they can fix things a lot better with more people. Meh I would have done the same thing if I were Carl at the moment. He seems more level headed and would be a great leader someday.

• Like 2

Also strictly speaking the prison is the best place to be held up in if things happen along these type of undead creatures. in real life. The nearest prison that is maxim security is Huntsville, TX to were I live in Houston, TX and its in a rural location so not that many dead along the way. IF a small group of six or seven people( combat training or least well armed) heads that way they could take a prison that size in no time if its overtaken by the dead. IF they gathered more survivors and people and put then at breaches and such things like that and if you find gas you could run the generators for the electric fences to keep the dead from gathering around the fences. You could build a nice community with the strong as the army and the children and elderly being kept safe by a few of the stronger people. IF you could tell I've been thinking of this type of thing for a long time under my hypothetical strategy list. I am a strategic person and always thinking one step a head of my enemy tacit is a must in survival. I

To better explain my last comment

I am in favor of gun control; however if I was Karl in that moment then I probably would have done the same thing. I think the writers made sure to bloody the waters of morality a little bit with the Karl thing its survival vs Morality question should survival out way are moral code. Lets say my moral code is not to kill someone, when they aren't a threat. However, when we see everyone as a threat to our safety then things like this can happen Its muddy the waters a little bit with morals being thrown out the door, when you are in survival mode Thought with him having to grow up so fast in a world that is killed or to be killed; what would you expect him to do?

I don't have a problem with what Carl did...surprised, but understand. Carl's action kind of mirrors Rick's with the hitchhiker. Rick didn't want to take any chances...neither did Carl.

• Like 3

I don't have a problem with what Carl did...surprised, but understand. Carl's action kind of mirrors Rick's with the hitchhiker. Rick didn't want to take any chances...neither did Carl.

While I see the comparison, I don't think it's valid. Withholding aid may or may not lead to someone's death (in this case the guy died). Pulling a trigger will definitely cause someone's death.

I maintain my point, would we be agreeing with the actions if it was the Governor who killed Carl? Let's say Carl ran straight into him, was surrendering his gun, and the Governor just shot him? Certainly Rick wouldn't agree with the action. I wouldn't agree with it either. Though in saying that I don't agree with it, I do understand Carl's motives. I think he made the wrong choice, but I understand why he made it.

On a similar, but unrelated note, I get the impression from the final moments of the episode that

Carl is beginning to resent Rick for being too goody-goody. You noticed the way Carl looked at Rick when he was told that they were bringing survivors from Woodbury into the prison?

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 3

While I see the comparison, I don't think it's valid. Withholding aid may or may not lead to someone's death (in this case the guy died). Pulling a trigger will definitely cause someone's death.

I maintain my point, would we be agreeing with the actions if it was the Governor who killed Carl? Let's say Carl ran straight into him, was surrendering his gun, and the Governor just shot him? Certainly Rick wouldn't agree with the action. I wouldn't agree with it either. Though in saying that I don't agree with it, I do understand Carl's motives. I think he made the wrong choice, but I understand why he made it.

On a similar, but unrelated note, I get the impression from the final moments of the episode that

Carl is beginning to resent Rick for being too goody-goody. You noticed the way Carl looked at Rick when he was told that they were bringing survivors from Woodbury into the prison?

yeah I was shocked that Carl shot that kid, but his expression looked more like " oops...my finger slipped..." Then a look of intended murder. I did notice that look that he gave Rick, like he was angry and couldn't believe Rick brought people from the " enemy's side" it made me wonder if Carl's sanity is going to go downhill on the next season.

Some spoiler stuff...

Do you think Carl is making up for what he thinks are Rick's weaknesses? Do you think he shot the kid just because he knew Rick wouldn't have?

To add to what you said about the Carl/Rick relationship...

Don't forget, Carl dismissed Rick which shows the respect, or lack thereof, Carl has for Rick. Carl and Rick are headed for a big father vs son showdown.

I think Carl is disgusted by his father's reaction to Judith's birth and Lori's subsequent death. Afterall, Carl is the one who had to shoot Lori to keep her from becoming a zombie, yet, here is Dad falling apart and behaving like an 11 year old boy while the real 11 year old picks up the pieces, takes care of the new baby and leads the group. Not saying Rick isn't justified for falling apart with all the pressure and tragedy he has lived with and suffered through but the eyes of an 11 year old boy are much less forgiving than a much older adult. He was barely accepting the old man back into the fray when Rick ups and brings a gaggle of Woodbury seniors and kids into the prison with scarce food resources and other sundries. Plsu teh gov got away and is drilling around with an automatic weapon.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

A battel was going on, Carl had no clue if anyone was even still alive at the prison. I would probably do the same as carl. Why take a random prisoner? they tried that at the farm and all it did was cause problems.

If the governor shot carl i would agree with him in princple still. I would be sad though.

On a side note i find it funny that on talking dead afterwords they took a poll about if Carl made the right choice or not. The Results were exactly 50/50. As we can see on this fourm lol :tu:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

On a side note i find it funny that on talking dead afterwords they took a poll about if Carl made the right choice or not. The Results were exactly 50/50. As we can see on this fourm lol :tu:

That is interesting. I watch the Talking Dead every week and they are doing great, hence the recent expansion to a full hour.

Another thing to think about, is how Carl views the world compared to Rick, Herschel, and the rest of the adults. Rick is a lot older and his values are set from more experience as a human living in a safe, sophisticated world. So when all of this happens, he still has his "good" values based on past morals, where as Carl is young and very impressionable. His values were rocked. He went from a secure world where daddy protects to a now kill or be killed world. His value of life is different than his elders.

Look and the lovable :rolleyes: Andrea. She had the chance to kill the Gov but she couldn't. She wasn't a murderer before the outbreak and she wasn't one after, even after she regularly killed walkers. Like Rick, her values were set from a different time and couldn't change enough even if the world around her went to hell.

Imagine what baby Judith would be like being raised in this world. I would think she would value life more, but maybe killing walkers desensitizes people?

Edited by ChewiesArmy
  • Like 1

Another thing to think about, is how Carl views the world compared to Rick, Herschel, and the rest of the adults. Rick is a lot older and his values are set from more experience as a human living in a safe, sophisticated world. So when all of this happens, he still has his "good" values based on past morals, where as Carl is young and very impressionable. His values were rocked. He went from a secure world where daddy protects to a now kill or be killed world. His value of life is different than his elders.

Look and the lovable :rolleyes: Andrea. She had the chance to kill the Gov but she couldn't. She wasn't a murderer before the outbreak and she wasn't one after, even after she regularly killed walkers. Like Rick, her values were set from a different time and couldn't change enough even if the world around her went to hell.

Imagine what baby Judith would be like being raised in this world. I would think she would value life more, but maybe killing walkers desensitizes people?

Exactly what I was getting at, only better said. If Judith survives, Carl will raise her and she will be a stone cold killer because she will have to be.

Interesting storyline if they let it evolve but the comic guys have let it be known that J may not last all that long. Personally I think it is too good of a line to let die but this show is relentless.

Edited by Merc14

No,I think leaving an unarmed person to fend for themself with walkers everywhere ,assures death just as a bullet does,its just a slower more passive way to do it.

If anything ,its more cruel than one shot to the head .

• Like 1

No,I think leaving an unarmed person to fend for themself with walkers everywhere ,assures death just as a bullet does,its just a slower more passive way to do it.

If anything ,its more cruel than one shot to the head .

And yet Micchone survived alone for many months, of course she had a couple of Walkers as pets, which not everyone will think of. But still, I disagree with you. Unless you run across a herd, you can survive alone - the fact that he was there is proof that you can survive. He'd been surviving for months and months, it was just bad luck (or bad scriptwriting) that he died virtually the same day that Rick ignored him.

What really sucks is it isn't on tonight and won't be for months, Thankfully, we have TGOT's to fall back on.

• Like 3

What really sucks is it isn't on tonight and won't be for months, Thankfully, we have TGOT's to fall back on.

And the new season of Madmen! After which is the new season of Breaking Bad!

I watched the first episode again last night, and a question occurred to me. Perhaps I've forgotten an explanation somewhere.

Why were some dead bodies not reanimated? Rick saw a woman in the hospital who had been picked over, but the brain looked intact. I recall several instances from this season where walkers were eating from unanimated bodies. The "bicycle walker" in the first episode was only half a corpse, yet it still moved. So, what is the difference?

It's just sunk in to me...

I was thinking how good tomorrows viewing will be, TWD & GoT.

• Like 2

I watched the first episode again last night, and a question occurred to me. Perhaps I've forgotten an explanation somewhere.

Why were some dead bodies not reanimated? Rick saw a woman in the hospital who had been picked over, but the brain looked intact. I recall several instances from this season where walkers were eating from unanimated bodies. The "bicycle walker" in the first episode was only half a corpse, yet it still moved. So, what is the difference?

Maybe someone who has read the comics can answer. I have an idea but I think there is an answer already.

I brought this up a couple of pages back,i agree 100%!Different world and one growing up in this new world will adapt or die,this is a SURVIVAL horror show.As humans we started out with instincts to survive,feelings came later on.

This sucks no show tonight <_< I hate waiting haha

• Like 3

In that interview with Kirkman, he says that we will see The Governor "in a whole new light".

I can't really see Phillip becoming a "good guy", so, I wonder what he meant by that!!!

• Like 1