Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Reflection: Wounded Knee Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

American Indian activists took over the tiny village of Wounded Knee on South Dakota's sprawling Pine Ridge Indian Reservation on Feb. 27, 1973, in what would become a 71-day, fatal standoff with FBI agents that attracted national attention to the impoverished reservation and the plight of local tribes.

On Wednesday, the occupation's 40th anniversary, some of the protest's central figures — most notably the American Indian Movement's charismatic leader, the late Russell Means — will be noticeably absent from a commemoration at the reservation. But organizers hope the events remind people of the struggles that led to the standoff and problems still reverberating throughout Indian Country, as well as changes the protest helped spark.

Read More

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Reminds me of a quote:

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

It is wrong that Leonard Peltier ever went to jail in the first place.  After all these years it is a stain on the american moral condition.  I'm ashamed of my government.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

AIM is the original Occupy movement ,literally ,except they  couldn't  get the press Occupy does,unless they held a stand off .
What was done to the Lakota Sioux will be paid for in the afterlife ,by everyone who participated .

Miss me?

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Such a tragic tale.  :(

I looked up Wounded Knee on Wiki and first thing that struck me was the first image which looks like the genocide pics from the 20th century.  Made me shudder but reminded me that we are no angels.  (by 'we' I mean us in the 'civilised West')

#6    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Reminds me of a quote:

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people

I don't like that quote at all.  My father was drafted, no one told him it was just for black people.

It dishonors all those soldiers that went when they were asked to.  And it's a crock of bs.

#7    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Those that continue to live in the past, will have no future.

How many generations of family do I have to have until I'm considered a 'native american'?

It's whiney white guilt that does this.  I didn't steal any land from anyone, and I certainly don't think I should bear the burden of it.

#8    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Reminds me of a quote:

Yeah because no white people were ever drafted. Oh wait, never mind.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 27 February 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

It is wrong that Leonard Peltier ever went to jail in the first place.  After all these years it is a stain on the american moral condition.  I'm ashamed of my government.

Unless you consider the murder of two FBI agents to be not wrong, then you have a point.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostBama13, on 28 February 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Yeah because no white people were ever drafted. Oh wait, never mind.
Its only a quote fgs!
Makes me laugh that people are saying that white people were drafted too.....we all know that! but no one seems to mind about the bit were they stole it off the red people.
Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Its only a quote fgs!
Makes me laugh that people are saying that white people were drafted too.....we all know that! but no one seems to mind about the bit were they stole it off the red people.
Posted Image

A dumb, inaccurate quote is still dumb and inaccurate.

Most countries stole the land they currently occupy from someone else, who had stolen it from someone else.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#12    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Its only a quote fgs!
Posted Image

I addressed both.

It's just a bad quote.  Nothing personal.

#13    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I got Indian in me, I feel for my ancestors and the tribes. But I have no reason to be mad about the death of my ancestors long ago, but I will defend the tribes today, because they are my heritage. I just hope they don't lose their way, become fixated on taking revenge when they should be more focused on preserving theirs and my culture from extinction.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Its only a quote fgs!
Posted Image

Nothing was stolen.  They lost the war.

Was Texas stolen from Mexico?  Oh wait, you probably think it was.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostRafterman, on 28 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Nothing was stolen.  They lost the war.

Was Texas stolen from Mexico?  Oh wait, you probably think it was.

The Indians lost the war? That simple huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users