Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Replacing America: Who would You choose?

and-then

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history. Quite a few took issue with that idea. So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own? If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium? Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.

Edited by and then

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• Myles

• FLOMBIE

• and-then

The US isn't the first, nor will it be the last empire. It will fall and another will take it's place just like many before.

Edited by omerta

The US isn't the first, nor will it be the last empire. It will fall and another will take it's place just like many before.

It's comforting to know that you read history Omerta. But what does that have to do with the OP?

The Fraggles. They have a natural ability to convert natural resources to wealth in a way that minimizes damage to the environment. Their culture of dancing and happiness, will promote good foreign relations, and reduce the need for nuclear arms worldwide.

I would have to second a Fraggle nation. Though I don't think others in the thread will be so inviting.

I posted a topic earlier and as a part of it mentioned my belief that America was the most powerful/greatest nation in history. Quite a few took issue with that idea. So I began to wonder, if America is as inept and evil as many seem to believe then who exactly would be best to take on the role of a superpower who's morality would suit your own? If one nation had to be dominant which nation would you prefer to see guiding the world forward into a new millenium? Compare this new leader with America and explain why you think it would be better for mankind.

I think the problem is you are comparing current America with nations of earlier times. You would need to look at what those nations did in their times vs what America has accomplished in it's time. 1st...how long has America actually been a superpower? Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced. Now look at other Empires like the Ottomans. It is all how you look at it.

Now to answer your question...I would want Canada as the next Superpower. I love hockey, fishing, and beer!

I would have to second a Fraggle nation. Though I don't think others in the thread will be so inviting.

Fraggles are fine...but the Doozers are the builders.

I think the problem is you are comparing current America with nations of earlier times. You would need to look at what those nations did in their times vs what America has accomplished in it's time. 1st...how long has America actually been a superpower? Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced. Now look at other Empires like the Ottomans. It is all how you look at it.

Now to answer your question...I would want Canada as the next Superpower. I love hockey, fishing, and beer!

I agree that among choices, I could get behind Canadians :yes:

My intent was never to say Americans were inherently better than others, just that in the modern era there is no other nation as powerful a force in military or economic issues. That is quickly changing because of our military adventurism, financial mismanagement and plain old greed for things we've not earned.

I do have a feeling that Canada will be the next super power. Economics brings power and right now Canada is on fire. With China soon to be our largest trading power who knows.

To be honest I hope not. Canada would lose its image as a peace loving beaver petting community lol

As far as hockey goes I`m p***ed Calgary didn`t even make the playoffs <_< however beer sales remaine normal lol

1st...how long has America actually been a superpower?

About 70 years.

Now compare that to what the Romans, or the Mongols, accomplished. Then look at what inventions, or discoveries has America produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions

I'd say we're close, and our inventions are cooler.

As for the original question, I don't think there is any one nation who is "best" for mankind. Any country that trumps the U.S. will itself be corrupted with power. The best course of action would be a world council, not too dissimilar to the United Nations, accept, you know, that it works well.

About 70 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions

I'd say we're close, and our inventions are cooler.

As for the original question, I don't think there is any one nation who is "best" for mankind. Any country that trumps the U.S. will itself be corrupted with power. The best course of action would be a world council, not too dissimilar to the United Nations, accept, you know, that it works well.

That is a pipe dream but hey we can always hope or at best exicute politians for corruption.

Hello and then. It's nice you have opened a thread on this, and hopefully you'll get plenty of useful replies.

Let me tell you one thing first: Just because I do not see the USA (i do not like your country being called 'America', as I find this pretty ignorant towards the other American countries) as the most powerful or greatest (what does 'greatest' even mean in this context? It's very polemic.) nation there ever was, it does not mean I find your country inept, or even evil. I just do not see it that relevant in a world historic context. There were many nations who accomplished far more in very different times, without the mobility available now. There was the Roman Empire, the Mongolian and Islamic Expansion, Alexander's realm, the Ottomans, or the Holy Roman Empire, just to name a few.

As for what other nation should take the USA's spot as THE superpower, which I don't even think you are anymore, as China or the EU, if you see it as a whole (not being as militaristic as the US does not mean being weaker), are very much equal players, I would choose none. A balance of power, i.e. several countries on different continents 'sharing' the power, would be best in my opinion. I do not need one nation forcing their views on th rest, as it usually is, if there is one nation that is by far the strongest. A balance could be a benefit for all of us. :) And there are quite a few countries on the rise right now. Just have a look at Brazil!

I hope you could follow me. I typed this on my Phone. Kinda hard to keep track!

It's Australia's turn to be a superpower dangnabbit!

To have only one superpower is dangerous. When US became a superpower there was always the threat of the Soviet to calms them down. When the threat disappeared, US continue to climb unruly and then the collapse started.

I don't want any one nation to be in charge. I think we'd be better off if the whole world made decisions democratically instead of by what a few rich powerful nations want.

Well if you were to go by human development and living standards Norway is at the top followed by Australia.

Source

I rarely hear anything bad coming out of Canada, and they are dear nieghbors to me, so Canada would be my choice.

This is a pointless question, as America will continue to be the dominant military, economic and cultural power for the foreseeable future. But to answer the question, I would say Britain. I appreciate their efforts to Westernize and modernize some local cultures, sometimes forcefully. ;)

Who should replace America as the World Leader? Why should anyone? having one nation overwhelingly dominant is not healthy. What's needed, if one nation is overwhelmingly pwerful, is for others to balance it. Which is what happened during the Cold War (it was, after all, only after 1945 that America did become Overwhelmingly Powerful). The problem since 1990 or so has been that America has continued to be Overwhelmingly Powerful, while the USSR, which acted as the balance to it, broke up and tried to embrace Capitalism (and in so doing, I think, thoroughly proved Marx's theories that Capitalism works for the benefit of the few but by no means all). Which has left America looking for something to do with this Military Might.

There is one major problem with Canada. They are no different than any other country. They are not morally superior. Every year they undermind the global warming confrences even though global warming is an accepted scientific fact (accept in American and Canada obviously...) They do this for one reason...oil...They are a major oil exporter. The US gets the majority of their oil from Canada. They have massive oil reserves. They have more oil than Saudi Arabia. Their economy is booming. The change of Calgary in the last couple of decades can rival that of Dubai. They are interested in self interests, just the same as every other country...

But in response to the OP...I think I would make a pretty sweet leader...

i say no superpower.

one nation does not have to be dominant.

India or Japan.

Both are very modern, and thriving, and Hindu-Buddhist ideals I believe would be optimum for a leading global power.

India or Japan.

Both are very modern, and thriving, and Hindu-Buddhist ideals I believe would be optimum for a leading global power.

I believe one of those entertained these sort of ambitions between 1941-45...