Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 12 votes

Tantalising Testimony

• Please log in to reply
5542 replies to this topic

#4591    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,186 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 November 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

I don't know, it looks like a scouting vessel with the searchlights on it. B)

Regardless, I'm still a bit confounded by the apparent uninspired design features of supposed alien craft. 57 species (allegedly) and all we get to see are discs and spheres? <_<
I know I'm being tiresomely rational here when the purpose of the discussion has taken a Satirical tone, but perhaps much in the way that Aircraft, after the early years at any rate, all follow essentially the same principles (Wings to give lift, engines driiving propellers for propulsion, usually a vertical tail), since they all operate by the same principles, however much variation in number & position of engines, Wings etc there may be, perhaps the same would apply for Spacecraft? It needn't apply for craft that just navigate by means of being accelerated to escape velocity & then left to it, like our Probes, no, but perhaps for craft that operate by more sophisticated principles (particularly if they have to operate in atmosphere), they would follow one or two (or perhaps three, bearing in mind the currently popular Triangles) basic forms.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4592    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,148 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 29 November 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

Less features, less problems.

True, simpler is sometimes better.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#4593    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 November 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

True, simpler is sometimes better.
I thought simpler was always better

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4594    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,186 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Unless you're a French car designer.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4595    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,148 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 29 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

That depends. You aren't going to fly through space with a couple of bowls glued together.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a joking mood today I guess. :P

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#4596    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 November 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

That depends. You aren't going to fly through space with a couple of bowls glued together.

I guess we are just 'Poles' apart.

Posted Image

#4597    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 November 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Seems I am too, my tongue is getting sore from it being stuck in cheek, and I've seen other examples of it here today and on ATS.
Full moon?

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#4598    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Post747400, on 29 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Unless you're a French car designer.
lol

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4599    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,638 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View Post747400, on 29 November 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Ah, there's the thing; my thesis is that they (supposing that there is a They) aren't, or at least, during, say, the 1950s, when UFOs first, as we know, came to prominence, weren't, trying to make Contact, because at the time they weren't sure if there was life here or not. They were doing effectively what we're doing on places like Mars, sending out probes to planets that they thought might look interesting to explore and see if they copuld find anything interesting. Since then, they might have been gradually carrying on a process of data gathering, with a view to perhaps establishing contact at some point on a discreet level if they think it might be advantageous. Indeed, there'd be a relay or a mother craft somewhere a discreet distance away, far enough not to alarm anybody so that they could carry on their researches without being bothered by or bothering anybody,.

I do not find that unreasonable, but I do find it unsupported. Many stories claims beings that are very much physical. I m not understanding why both methods would be deployed, that seems to not make sense to me.
I also think that a robot, or drone, would not have the intelligence to completely elude the entire planet. Even the most complex computers still do not think, in fact computers are efficient, not smart they cannot even subtract. They add negatives. They only do what they are programmed to do, and in an Alien envoronment, I would consider it impossible to be prepared for every eventuality. Machines also break down, have accidents, all sorts of things, but we do not have one.
I think what you have is an interesting thought experiment, and something we might consider someday, but I think a few holes need to be filled yet and I am not sure it would adequately explain the phenomena. I do feel natural phenomena captures a larger part but all in all, from what I have understood, the phenomena simply must have many answers, not a single one.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4600    Matt Vinyl

Matt Vinyl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• "And has this ever happened before, minister?" "Yes, but only ever in the past, Bryan..."

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

You have to look at the entire case and sift though all the evidence. Isn't that how good investigators proceed?

Indeed, I agree. However, I guess that if every case presented was to be analysed this thouroughly, we'd never make it past the first handful.

Sadly, cases that are most likely hoaxes, as I imagine this one is (and I did read it intently) really need to be chucked out with the chaff. The 'wheat' is where we need to concentrate our investigations.

I was hoping it would bowl me over (*cough*) but sadly not.

Any further cases of interest? :-)

And do you ever contradict yourself? Well, yes and no...

#4601    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,638 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 November 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Mt Garibaldi had some landslides in 1981. It's near Vancouver BC

There was an eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980 but it was near Vancouver WA. (I actually remember that one quite well, not too far from where I lived)

Seems like a random question unless I'm missing something....which isn't unusual. ^_^

Was my mistake, the recollection says looks like steam. Not issuing steam. My bad.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4602    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,638 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

View Postzoser, on 29 November 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Nice to see you back on the thread again psyche :tu:

I was interested in the case McGuffin posted, The Canary Islands sighting.

He has excellent case knowledge, one of the best IMHO.

Edited by psyche101, 30 November 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#4603    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,638 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

View Postzoser, on 29 November 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

What would you expect him to think?  What about his testimony?  It cannot be disregarded.

Why not? What can you show that proves his statement? The hoax option based on physical appearance outweighs the facts provided for a genuine sighting.

You have some strange fascination with testimony. It has been proven to be unreliable, yet you take testimony to be complete in every detail, assumptions included. That's a fail.

#4604    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 33,638 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

View Postzoser, on 29 November 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

(FN): Did you really think somebody was throwing a bowl?
(MZ) When I saw it, I says ‘did they throw something at me or what.’ Is there anybody really disturbing drivers? Some guy will not be careful and will hit another… but there was nobody there. No living soul. Only the gusts of wind blowing. It didn’t blow initially. At least I couldn’t feel it in the car. I got out of the car. And the other guy is still tipsy after the wedding so he keeps laughing at me..

Those are the references to the bowl idea.  I think people are imagining things instead of reading the whole case.

It's not the first time.

Just look at the case in more detail; that's all I ask.  If I'm wrong I'm wrong,

(FN): OK, but what did you think about this object when you saw it?
(MZ): When I was looking I thought that some punks must have thrown some bowl at me from a ditch, over the car, it flew sort of in front of the car. I says ‘damn it, they don’t have better things to do…’ I jumped out and I says ‘I’m gonna kick your asses’ but there is no-one around… And the Russian stopped behind me… Other cars didn’t stop. So I look what is wrong with the car but everything is fine. And the car started by itself. I have no idea what it was…

So because a drunk guy, who thought someone threw a bowl could not find a prankster

Posted Image

#4605    MistyW

MistyW

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

There's so many eyewitness accounts out there, but not all of them can possibly be true. But I do hold the belief that there are indeed otherwordly beings out there -- it would be egotistical to assume we are the only ones in the universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users